Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You Welfare People Are So Demanding! UPDATE:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 145 Replies

That's what I was told by the manager that was running the customer service desk at Safeway today. A few months ago, they moved all of their WIC approved cans of Similac back behind the counter because since they are the smaller can's they had problems with people stealing them. So now, if you have WIC and you're getting formula, either the cashier has to run up to the customer service desk OR it's just easier to go up there and cash out there. 

So today, I go up to the customer service desk and tell her that I need 10 cans of formula (That's the amount that I get on my checks) and she turns around and says "Well I have 4 cans. Was there any on the shelf or did you even look?" I'm taken back a little bit by her attitude and the fact that she's asking me if I checked the shelf since they no longer keep it on the shelf so I replied with "No...because I was told you don't carry it on the shelf and that it's all kept up here." She rolls her eyes at me and says "well you could have at least checked the shelf" and goes and checks the shelf. She comes back and says "I guess there's none there, so this is all I have." Since I live 20 miles from town and have NEVER had a problem with them having my formula in stock I asked her nicely if there was possibly any in the back. She points at the glass cabinet that is holding the four cans and says "What part of that is all I have do you not understand? God you welfare people all swarm in here at the first of the month and expect to be waited on hand and foot! You're all so demanding." When I requested to speak to the manager I realized that her name tag said manager right above her name.

I don't know how to go about this. I've been treated like crap before at other stores and have NEVER had a problem at Safeway. EVER! Nor have I ever had a problem with a MANAGER treating me this way. Employees yes...manager NEVER. 

Update for the Bashers: For those of you that seem to think that I don't work: I work in the mini-mart in my little one stop-light town that does NOT accept WIC. We just recently got a machine to start taking FS and Cash Benefits. I am a single mom of two, and I'm not going into the details of why this is, because that is my business. My mother watches my kids so I can work and I also sell oddball stuff on the side to make some extra cash but it just doesn't cover everything. Although I was in Safeway mainly for the formula (I have never used my WIC checks at WalMart because it always seems so chaotic there, and until today I have always had excellent service at Safeway) I did have about $100 worth of groceries that I would have been paying for with MY own money that I earned by WORKING that got left there unbought because I ended up walking out because of her attitude. I am already embarrassed enough that I need a little help and today's situation made it 10x worse. I came on here to get some insite as to how to go about this not to be bashed.

For those of you who have been supportive here's my update for you: I called the store and spoke to the main manager who actually is the normal woman I deal with. Very sweet lady. She always loves to come over and baby talk with my 4 month old when we are there and she has done this since he was born. Very sweet woman. She said that the girl was just promoted a few months ago and it seems as though she's gone on a little bit of a power trip. Apparently EMPLOYEES have even been complaining about her. She couldn't give me any other details but she told me an investigation would be started and she would call me to update me on the results of that. I aslo have a $10 off coupon coming in  the mail becasue of the way I was treated. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Sounds like she's having a crappy beginning of the month.......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM
5 moms liked this

I would call corporate & threaten a lawsuit. I hope you got her name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Um you ask for the store manager if its her you ask for the general manager if that gets you nowhere you continues to go up the line as far as you can.
audreesmama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

WOW. Call corporate, for sure! 

jen_keiko
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Write a letter to corporate. That kind of "service" is completely UNACCEPTABLE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I did. I don't know if she was just having a crap-tastic day and I just happened to be the poor soul that snapped her patience or what...either way, that's still not how you treat a customer. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would call corporate & threaten a lawsuit. I hope you got her name.

Amy_M
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

call the store manager or corporate

jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
This, head on up to corporate. She was an ass

Quoting Anonymous:

Um you ask for the store manager if its her you ask for the general manager if that gets you nowhere you continues to go up the line as far as you can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call the higher ups on this one.. I'm sure she has her own manager there to talk to. But I would definitely file a complaint on her as soon as possible. Regardless if she is having a bad day or what.. she didn't need to treat you the way that she did. WIC or self pay.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

CAll corporate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)