Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think this will help deter teen sex?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this
DEAR ABBY: Maybe you would like to pass this on to the parents of teenage boys. It worked for me when I had the sex talk with my sons. I knew their brains had not yet fully developed. They thought they were invincible and had an "it could never happen to me" attitude.
Because money seems to be the one thing at that age they can relate to, I decided to turn it into a mathematical problem: I told them that if they got a girl pregnant, they could figure on a minimum of $300 a month child support, multiplied by 12 months for 18 years. (That totals $65,000 -- unless the girl has twins, which would double the amount.)

Then I told them if they were tempted to have unprotected sex, they should look at the girl and ask themselves if they would pay her $65,000 to have sex with them. If they couldn't answer yes, then they needed to walk away.

Abby, it worked! No grandchildren appeared until after they were married. Feel free to share this with other parents who would appreciate a "non-traditional" approach that is effective. -- TONY IN SAN DIEGO

DEAR TONY: Gladly. I'm passing your technique along because money is a great motivator, and your idea makes "cents."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I don't know if it would work to deter all teens. But I'm sure it would help some.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with talking about child support but I don't see it having as big of an impact as the author would like to think. Teens may understand money and such but they don't really get the concept, it's still abstract to them at that age so I don't see that really sinking in.

Think about it, what teen really understands the value of money?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know if it would work to deter all teens. But I'm sure it would help some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I know kids who are 9, 10 years old that understand the value of money. It really depends on the teen. That's a lot of money, if you compare it to them let's say getting a car when they turn sixteen, I think it would have an impact. I do think it is a good tool to deter sex, but one of many.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM
What I mean by value of money is teens and kids just don't really understand what all it takes to buy things. Like let's use that 65,000 that was mentioned and let's say there is a hypothetical house that's 65,000.

A kid or a teen isn't really going to understand what all it takes to buy that house. All the hours of work it takes plus the 65,000 is just for the house. You have to make more than just enough to cover rent. You have lights and water and food and so forth.

That's what I mean by value of money. I think it's a great tool and I don't see anything wrong with talking about that aspect when it comes to kids but Its not going to sink in like it would talking to an adult.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know kids who are 9, 10 years old that understand the value of money. It really depends on the teen. That's a lot of money, if you compare it to them let's say getting a car when they turn sixteen, I think it would have an impact. I do think it is a good tool to deter sex, but one of many.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I agree with you. I would still use it as a tool along with others.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)