Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dinner time at my house...

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 56 Replies
Has turned into the biggest source of stress in my life!! No matter what I make all I hear is "Gross!! Can we have something else? I don't want this!!". Then they sit there and play and fight instead of eating. "She's kicking me!! He just threw a pea at me!! She's pushing the table!!". Then I'll MAKE them put a bite in their mouths and they push it over to their cheek and refuse to swallow. I usually have dinner ready around 6:30 and we're not usually done until around 9 because I literally have to sit at the table with them saying "stop fighting. Don't throw your food. No, you can't get up. Eat a bite!! Now swallow the bite. Sit back down. Take another bite." And so on until they finally finish their food. It's completely ridiculous. I'm to the point of having a panic attack every night when dinner time is approaching.

Does anyone else deal with this? Please give me suggestions on how to handle it because I'm at my wits end. Btw they're 8, 6, and 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hmm I dont know....all I have to do is raise my voice when my kids start acting up at the table.....it has always worked.....so far   lol

allycally
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Cook food they like, plan a menu and give each kid a day,u a day,and dad a day to pick dinner... After 30 mins if they haven't eaten end dinner , I offer my kiddos PB toast or cereal a couple hours later if they didn't eat dinner,,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I would sit down with them and discuss appropriate table manners. I would also start a three strikes dinner policy. If they get three reprimands dinner is over immediately and they begin their bed time routine. As far as you getting irritated I completely understand but it might help if you decide not to let it get to you. If they chose the bad behavior they chose the punishments and act like it's no skin off your nose.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Ugh I wish that worked with my kids. I raise my voice and they look at me like I've lost my mind lol.

Quoting CeeGee81:

Hmm I dont know....all I have to do is raise my voice when my kids start acting up at the table.....it has always worked.....so far   lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

This.

Quoting 1likeme:

I would sit down with them and discuss appropriate table manners. I would also start a three strikes dinner policy. If they get three reprimands dinner is over immediately and they begin their bed time routine. As far as you getting irritated I completely understand but it might help if you decide not to let it get to you. If they chose the bad behavior they chose the punishments and act like it's no skin off your nose.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

My kids are usually good at dinner.  Do you have consequences for acting up at the table? Time outs or taking away of privileges?  

Is it new foods or food they have liked in the past?

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

lol oh shit....

How about taking things away from them if they dont behave themselves at the dinner table?  not sure what they're into....but taking their favourite toy away until they can sit and behave properly?  And whatever it is....I wouldnt give it back until I saw a weeks worth of good behaviour.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Ugh I wish that worked with my kids. I raise my voice and they look at me like I've lost my mind lol.

Quoting CeeGee81:

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I try to make foods they like. Like, I know my oldest son loves Mexican food, so one day a week I plan tacos or quesadillas. The problem with that is that none of them prefer vegetables or really any of the healthy stuff. If I let them choose, we'd be 400 lbs each.

Quoting allycally:

Cook food they like, plan a menu and give each kid a day,u a day,and dad a day to pick dinner... After 30 mins if they haven't eaten end dinner , I offer my kiddos PB toast or cereal a couple hours later if they didn't eat dinner,,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Thank you!! I love the "3 strikes" idea. I'll try it.

Quoting 1likeme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)