Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he sat with it until it took his last breath

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 22 Replies

Yesterday my husband was taking my son to the bus stop and on the way he saw a little puppy that got hit by a car. He saw it as he was turning and he saw that it lifted his head. My husband saw a semi coming and pulled over and stop traffic and pulled the puppy out of the road. the truck stop and someone from the wildlife had stop too.

My husband had to get my son to the bus stop so they sat there and husband took took our son and dropped him off with the guy whose house is at the bus stop. ( my husband has talked to this guy a lot and our boys play together). he went back  and they called animal control, hoping they would get there before it died. They didn't make it. my husband sat there with the little puppy until it died.

He didn't want to lie to our son so when our son got off the bus he asked about the puppy and i told him  that it didn't make it but daddy tired to save it. It broke our son heart and he cried. I felt bad because my son loves animals, he is 10 and has as long as i can remember says he want to be a vet or a marine biologist when he grows up.

I really don't understand how people can hit a dog and just keep going. I have stop for  turtles. the day before this i was coming home after picking our son up and a squirrel ran out in front of me and my son said mommy don't hit the squirrel, i swerved and missed it and my son looked at the window and said "good mommy you didn't hit it."

If whoever had hit that little puppy would have stop that puppy may not have died. I just don't understand. My son told me after I told him that the puppy didn't make it  that some people are just mean and  cruel people and they should have stopped.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Never swerve for animals
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I always swerve for animals! ALWAYS! And will stop if they seem to be in trouble or injured.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
That's terrible. Your husband sounds very compassionate. I stop for turtles and geese. Especially turtles and I move them too so they don't get hit. I ran into a flock of quail last summer, feathers everywhere, it was hortible.
msmizuki19
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
That's so sad, how is your son doing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsBridges19
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Aww, I love that your son has a big heart.  But I have one as well and I can't stand to see ANY animal die.  It's a curse.  I once took in a stray dog and found her a home.  But now, whenever I see a dog on the side of the road, I want to stop and pick it up.  I always feel guilty for days if I don't.

momwith2monkeys
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

we were in our neighborhood not busy at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never swerve for animals

momwith2monkeys
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

He doing better but  he don't understand how people can be so mean.

Quoting msmizuki19:

That's so sad, how is your son doing

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I won't swerve or slow down for any animal, unless it is an elk or wild horse (we have those here). So that dog better get moving out of the way. Why? Because it isn't safe. There is no guarantee that other car will stop. Your hubbie did a good thing, but at the risk of causing an accident. I won't stop either, if I happen to hit something.
KyrinM
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It is not good to swerve to avoid an animal, I know you don't want to kill anything, but your life has to come first.  Killing yourself to avoid hitting an animal is not a wise choice.  That said, I have done the same as your DH, except I was the unfortunate driver who struck the dog.  He leaped out in front of my truck with less than 3 ft between us, there was no way I could stop in time.  It was really hard too, he was a young dog & so sweet, when I got out of my truck to access his condition, he laid there looking at me so hopefully & even wagged his tail.  But his chest was severely damaged & his lung was punctured & I knew from experience as a vet tech nothing could be done.  So I sat there with his head in my lap & cried while he died.  The neighbor was very kind, she told me it wasn't my fault & that the owners had been told several times that he had been getting out & they had not made sure he was safe.  I still felt terrible though. 

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting Glitchtastic:

I always swerve for animals! ALWAYS! And will stop if they seem to be in trouble or injured.

Braking for animals makes sense. Swerving for animals is one way to cause an accident.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured