Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disciplining your children

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have been addicted to Desperate Housewives for the last few weeks, and on a recent episode, one of the moms slaps her daughter across the face for being a brat. On the show, a lot of people freak out about it. Do you think slapping your child in the face is child abuse? I'm not sure how I feel about it.. I just wanted to hear some opinions. And if you DO think it's wrong- do you spank or nothing like that at all? Also, why do you think it's abuse. Again, I am only curious. Thank you!
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM
It depends on how old and what they did.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I was totally addicted to that show when it was on the air. I know exactly what episode you're talking about. I don't think slapping in the face is okay. I do spank, but the butt is more fatty and it doesn't hurt as bad. Trust me, I've been spanked and slapped across the face. I'd take a spanking any day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ellseee94
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Haha yeah I don't have cable at my apartment, but I do have Netflix, so I've been watching literally six episodes a day. Thanks for your reply though!

ellseee94
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM

In the show, I believe the girl is 11 or 12. She continually threatens her mom and hints that she's going to try and hurt her little sister. I doubt that would actually be the case, but is 11 or 12 too young?

Quoting Anonymous:

It depends on how old and what they did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I think there is a difference in a tap on the mouth for cussing and being back handed..I dont do either but there is a difference, Just like there is a difference in a spanking, and abuse. I do spank as a last resort, but I never abuse my children, With every punishment there are differences that could be abuse or not. I have been slapped on the face as a child, and I would never do that to a child. JMO 

Texa5
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

No, I don't see it as "okay" or acceptable for my family. I've spanked my 3 year old, if you'd even call it a "spanking". It's to grab his attention when he's throwing one of those "I-can't-stand-up-because-my-life-is-so-horrible" fits. I've found other ways to get through to my son without spanking him every time he does something he isn't supposed to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)