Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this part of PA

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
CodenameDuchess
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Yearly dues to Girl Scouts of the USA are $12/year. Anyone can get them waived for financial hardship.

Troop dues are decided by individual troop leaders and vary in cost. Some may or may not offer troop dues waivers.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Is that universal? When I was thinking about Daisy's for DD I thought I saw something about it being per troop and the troops here are so small the people I talked too said they rarely do it.

Quoting shivasgirl:

Boy and Girl Scouts offer financial assistance even if you are not on PA

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

If someone wants to stay fit, they can do so without a Y membership, take a walk around the block, do floor exercises at home.

Quoting morriganna:

Don't worry, nobody's doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  It keeps them in good health so that we save money in the long run.

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No, many lower middle class families, who don't qualify for any sort of PA, do not have the choice to budget for luxuries like gym memberships.

I know we can't afford it; that's how tight our budget is.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

One argument to this (not MINE mind you, but one I have heard often) is that the middle class has the choice to budget for these things if they deem them important. I get what you are saying but sort of feel like its not the kids fault the parents are poor so if this is a way for them to get to take those swim lessons or join scouts maybe just maybe those things will help push them to do better and break that cycle. Yes I am sure that is SUPER optimistic but one can hope

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Oh ok. The way I understood this was it gives a waiver too ALL fees, including uniforms and such but I am not sure. My friend was going to call Monday and ask the details.

Quoting CodenameDuchess:

Yearly dues to Girl Scouts of the USA are $12/year. Anyone can get them waived for financial hardship.

Troop dues are decided by individual troop leaders and vary in cost. Some may or may not offer troop dues waivers.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Is that universal? When I was thinking about Daisy's for DD I thought I saw something about it being per troop and the troops here are so small the people I talked too said they rarely do it.

Quoting shivasgirl:

krayzbabylove
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I have never heard of this part of PA.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I hadn't either until today. She brought her paperwork over to show it too me. Wish I had thought to take a pic lol

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I have never heard of this part of PA.

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I think the Y us a good idea. It reenforces a healthy lifestyle... Scouts, I don't think you'd need pa for that as its fairly cheap and can get aid directly through the institution itself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Often, middle class families can't do that. I am lucky that we aren't in that situation but many of our friends are. Between buying our own food and paying for our insurance it isn't always possible to budget for those things. While it isn't the fault of children with poor parents that their parents are poor, it isn't the fault of children of middle class or lower middle class parents that their parents don't have the extra funds because of all they have to pay for.

My parents were lower middle class and it sucked seeing the kids who were on free lunch (back then the kids who were on free lunch got tickets so everyone knew) got to do more stuff then I did because my parents had to pay for food and insurance. If the ability to do activities can pull a child out of poverty then it stands to reason that the inability to do activities can bring a child into poverty.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

One argument to this (not MINE mind you, but one I have heard often) is that the middle class has the choice to budget for these things if they deem them important. I get what you are saying but sort of feel like its not the kids fault the parents are poor so if this is a way for them to get to take those swim lessons or join scouts maybe just maybe those things will help push them to do better and break that cycle. Yes I am sure that is SUPER optimistic but one can hope

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting morriganna:

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

yes, you go thru the council for the financial aid, they will pay her national dues which is $12 and then give her $30 to spend at the girl scout store for her books, vest and initial patches....you may have to pay for some activities thru the troop, but the actual joining will be taken care of, and if she sells a lot of cookies, she will get a percentage of that money to pay some of her expenses. My dd sold 558 boxes this year and got 15 cents a box to spend at the Girl Scout store on whatever she needs or wants. She did it all at cookie booths since we just moved and didnt know anyone to sell individually to. She is a Daisy. I would recommend calling the local council and finding out what you need to do. My dd loves it, it is really a great program

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Quoting shivasgirl:

DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)