Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this part of PA

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm undecided.

On one hand.. I love that kids get to do these things. It's all about the kids, I'm down with that. The thing is though.. there are people who don't qualify for any assistance and they have to plan and save all year for their children to be able to do extra activities. They have to pick... Either dance or Girl Scouts, you can't do both. And a "Y" membership? Forget it! That shit is expensive.

It's nice, but is it really fair.... Probably not. And when our economy is hurting.. We can afford to feed, house, and provide medical coverage for those who need it, yeah. But can we afford to pay for Girl Scouts or a YMCA membership when there are perfectly good backyards, parks, public pools, lakes, hiking trails, playgrounds and whatnots where kids can play already, for free? Eh..I don't know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM

No such thing in my state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I think it's a crock.  Most of PA is a crock.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally I like the Y option better. Scouts is not something I approve of now. Back when I was a Brownie I hated it & would have rather been doing the things my brothers did in Boy Scouts. I dropped out when I crossed over.

Now with the way Boy Scouts is led I don't want my boys involved & thankfully they haven't aasked to join.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sept-babies2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I don't know but my state doesn't offer that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM
It is supposed to be universal. You can call your local council. Go to the girl scouts website, you should find the info there.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Is that universal? When I was thinking about Daisy's for DD I thought I saw something about it being per troop and the troops here are so small the people I talked too said they rarely do it.

Quoting shivasgirl:

Boy and Girl Scouts offer financial assistance even if you are not on PA

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I too think it is neat.  I like that they can do things with other kids that maybe they wouldn't be able to do.  Plus with childhood obesity such a problem the membership to the Y is awesome. 

Bottom line the kids didn't pick their situation so they don't deserve to miss out on everything for whatever the reason may be. 

kngarber
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Let me show you why that is in fact a possible emergency...

This started with a 102 fever and cough.  So really shut the fuck up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN