Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this part of PA

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM
We aren't on PA and make a comfortable living, we are also "Y" members. As a matter of fact I'm typing this while on the stationary bike...lol

Anyhow, for our entire family to enjoy all the perks we pay $59/month. Honestly I think even for lower middle clas that is affordable and doable when you consider all he advantages and what you could cut out a month to find that extra money.

It's cheaper than a months price of cable, one family trip to a mid priced chain restaurant, a cell phone bill and so on.

Also if your family is serious about their health you could cut of some of your grocery bill, like convinience foods, to find that extra $59/month.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

One argument to this (not MINE mind you, but one I have heard often) is that the middle class has the choice to budget for these things if they deem them important. I get what you are saying but sort of feel like its not the kids fault the parents are poor so if this is a way for them to get to take those swim lessons or join scouts maybe just maybe those things will help push them to do better and break that cycle. Yes I am sure that is SUPER optimistic but one can hope

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I've never heard of that but I think its nice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
No the middle class can't budget when we're already nickeled and dimed left and right.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

One argument to this (not MINE mind you, but one I have heard often) is that the middle class has the choice to budget for these things if they deem them important. I get what you are saying but sort of feel like its not the kids fault the parents are poor so if this is a way for them to get to take those swim lessons or join scouts maybe just maybe those things will help push them to do better and break that cycle. Yes I am sure that is SUPER optimistic but one can hope

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem I have with that kind of stuff is this country is in debt up to our eyeballs and we are giving poor people stuff that some of the middle class can't even afford, if the middle class, who work for what they have, don't need it, poor people don't either.

Quoting morriganna:

I'd love a free membership at the Y!  Don't know why people would have a problem with it, everybody harps on how overweight people burden the healthcare system so presumably the exercize will keep down their health care expenses.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WinterRosesmom
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM
For the kids to stay active. there's not a y everywhere but usually every school has scouts

Quoting tennisgal:

what does medical insurance have to do with scouting?? i understand the Y, but not sure how scouting ties in with medical benefits. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Let me show you why that is in fact a possible emergency...

This started with a 102 fever and cough.  So really shut the fuck up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My theory on this one is that it teaches the children skills and confidence so when they grow up they are more likely to succeed.  Scouts learn TONS of useful, applicable skills and information for the real world.  And the confidence building can be a great thing, too.  Children who are depressed or timid actually tend to have more health problems as well.  Mental health is just as vital to overall well being as physical health.  And many of these children on PA don't get much "extra" in their lives, so it's a way of helping them keep up and feel included.

Honestly, I believe our PA system needs reform.  But I'm not opposed to these programs.  I think PA should try to help people improve their situation, and I can see how some might benefit from a Y membership, and others might benefit from being able to put their children in a fun social activity.

Quoting tennisgal:

what does medical insurance have to do with scouting?? i understand the Y, but not sure how scouting ties in with medical benefits. 

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I think it's wonderful and I love the incentive behind it, too. :)

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM
You really think hospitals can say "sorry.. But a fever must be 103 or higher in order to qualify as an emergency under your insurance plan, go home." ?

Yeah.....no.

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

You're the epitome of bitterness, misguided hatred and pure idiocy.

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Let me show you why that is in fact a possible emergency...

This started with a 102 fever and cough.  So really shut the fuck up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think that the parents of said child need to PAY for taking their child in when it is a non emergency...just like they would have to if they had other insurance coverage!

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

You really think hospitals can say "sorry.. But a fever must be 103 or higher in order to qualify as an emergency under your insurance plan, go home." ?

Yeah.....no.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)