Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this part of PA

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
mommy2boys03
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ironically all of these programs have ways for the get aid anyway.  Boys and girl scouts will not turn away a child if they can't afford dues.  The Y has aid too for people that can't afford the membership.  I don't think the state should pay for them or they should receive "perks" for being on PA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

As someone working at an urgent care specializing in pediatrics, all people tend to bring their kids in for stuff that could have easily been saved until the pediatrician is open. Whether medicaid paid for it, or private insurance did, it's wasteful regardless. We are all paying for those useless visits.

I worked a very short shift yesterday and of the 15 patients that came in, I would say all of 2 were necessary. Respiratory distress to the point of needing intubation and a broken finger. The rest were possible ear infections, diaper rash and a baby that was "crying too much"....yeah....she was teething. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I think it's great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We had been to the doctor that morning.  I didn't expect you to really grasp what I was saying or shut up because you are an ass, but you are in fact wrong. PS if someone is on PA they don't have copays and if they have traditional insurace the ER is often 75.00 so what point are trying to make?

Quoting Anonymous:

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Let me show you why that is in fact a possible emergency...

This started with a 102 fever and cough.  So really shut the fuck up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I'm the ass, yet you are the one cursing and acting like a fool, because we disagree on how government healthcare should run. Fantastic!

Quoting kngarber:

We had been to the doctor that morning.  I didn't expect you to really grasp what I was saying or shut up because you are an ass, but you are in fact wrong. PS if someone is on PA they don't have copays and if they have traditional insurace the ER is often 75.00 so what point are trying to make?

Quoting Anonymous:

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, she is pretty ridiculous...even for CM.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

You're the epitome of bitterness, misguided hatred and pure idiocy.

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

Queen_Bree
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think it's great, since it is promoting healthy activity insted of just paying for health problems. I think if people take advantage of the option offered it could help them be healthier.

ksueditz
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I hope your baby is better. And I have that same Eeyore. :)

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Oh ok. The way I understood this was it gives a waiver too ALL fees, including uniforms and such but I am not sure. My friend was going to call Monday and ask the details.

Quoting CodenameDuchess:

Yearly dues to Girl Scouts of the USA are $12/year. Anyone can get them waived for financial hardship.

Troop dues are decided by individual troop leaders and vary in cost. Some may or may not offer troop dues waivers.

Quoting reaandiziesmama:

Is that universal? When I was thinking about Daisy's for DD I thought I saw something about it being per troop and the troops here are so small the people I talked too said they rarely do it.

Quoting shivasgirl:

Boy and Girl Scouts offer financial assistance even if you are not on PA

Technically, if a GS has her pin on, she's "in uniform". Some troops dont even require unifoms because of cost.  It isnt a requirement. I was a Daisy leader for years...some girls had smocks, some didnt.  They still earned their petals though. My sister was a Brownie leader.  Some girls had the full uniform, some only had the sash...some didnt have any of it.  If they have their pin, they are official.

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Awww, that's precious.  You can't answer the question so you try to belittle me.  Cute. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the ass, yet you are the one cursing and acting like a fool, because we disagree on how government healthcare should run. Fantastic!

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)