Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this part of PA

My working single mom friend gets medical for her kids. She got her yearly renewal papers in the mail today. There are several plans you can choose from and it lists all the "perks" of each one. With one plan you get a free membership to the YMCA. With another, if the person is a child, they get their dues paid for Girl Scouts or Boys Scouts.

I think its kinda neat. It gives them opportunities they might not otherwise have but I wondered what you ladies thought.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (51-60):
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

She's just another CM bigot who doesn't have an ounce of intelligence to back-up what she's pedalling.

If that is your child in the pic, I hope they are OK?

Quoting kngarber:

Yeah, she is pretty ridiculous...even for CM.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

You're the epitome of bitterness, misguided hatred and pure idiocy.

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Let me show you why that is in fact a possible emergency...

This started with a 102 fever and cough.  So really shut the fuck up.

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

She is, thank you so much :)  This was about 2 years ago.  Started as a simple case of RSV and went out of control.  She ended up being in the hospital for 3 weeks.  I still cry every time I look at the pictures.  This is her today :)

Quoting ksueditz:

I hope your baby is better. And I have that same Eeyore. :)

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My apologies...I thought that my point was pretty obvious, perhaps it went over your head. Please, Allow me to explain further.....Even if it is only a 75 dollar charge, charging parents for using the ER and a regular doctor's office, will deter them from doing so....Too many people are in the ER out of convenience, rather than need, and those people cost tax payers a lot of money! They also  cause the price of medical care to rise because those who don't have insurance OR medicaid, don't pay their bills, causing hospitals to raise  prices to make up their loss.

Quoting kngarber:

Awww, that's precious.  You can't answer the question so you try to belittle me.  Cute. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the ass, yet you are the one cursing and acting like a fool, because we disagree on how government healthcare should run. Fantastic!

Quoting kngarber:

We had been to the doctor that morning.  I didn't expect you to really grasp what I was saying or shut up because you are an ass, but you are in fact wrong. PS if someone is on PA they don't have copays and if they have traditional insurace the ER is often 75.00 so what point are trying to make?

Quoting Anonymous:

and I am sure that a trip to the DOCTOR would have landed the same result in care as an expensive late night trip to the ER just to avoid making an appointment, or paying the copay....so no, I will not in face shut the fuck up!

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Threat to life limb or eyesight...that consists of an emergency....a 102 fever and a cough in a 3 year old is NOT an emergency, yet that is who you will find in the ER waiting room..

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Lol... What would the guidelines for Medicaid be as to what constitutes a real emergency?

Quoting DieselsMom:

they don't deserve ANY of those things...they shouldn't get to "choose" they should get MEDICAL paid for....and only what is NEEDED...and NO er visits unless it is an EMERGENCY!

ksueditz
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
She's beautiful. :)

Quoting kngarber:

She is, thank you so much :)  This was about 2 years ago.  Started as a simple case of RSV and went out of control.  She ended up being in the hospital for 3 weeks.  I still cry every time I look at the pictures.  This is her today :)

Quoting ksueditz:

I hope your baby is better. And I have that same Eeyore. :)

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yes, she is :)  It was about 2 years ago. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She's just another CM bigot who doesn't have an ounce of intelligence to back-up what she's pedalling.

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Poor baby :(

And I know the feeling...just not as bad.  My dd was 2 and had a fever one night.  The next day, older dd went to school, dh went to work.  Around noon, she had a seizure.  At the hospital, they said she had RSV, go home with rest and fluids and follow up with ped.  Next day, went for the follow up..again, fever of 101-102 and cough.  Ped admitted her because her oxygen level was so low.  She even said the ER should've admitted her immediately the day before.  Two days later, we left the hospital, feeling much better!

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

ksueditz
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Unless you take your child in to the hospital, how do you set the guidelines for "threat to life?"
My dd3 has been taken to the ER b/c she hit her head, and had a possible concussion. Didn't know for sure, until we took her to the ER. Another time, she wouldn't wake up. Had blood tests, MRI etc. Until she was assessed, didn't know if it was a "threat to life.'

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

A fever can be a sign of an infection and the body's way of combating whatever that illness might be.

But it's a matter of finding out WHAT the body is fighting and when a child is so miserable, just because they're on PA, they should have to wait until the next day to see their pediatrician? what if it's the weekend? (these questions are not directed to you, Maries_Mom, but to the anon I referred to as a "CM bigot").

You did the exact thing you were supposed to do and I've done the same, various times over the years with my own kid's.

Parents cannot mess around with a child's illness. The ER is there to help address those concerns and sometimes, the diagnosis ends up being similar to what your child went through and kngarber's.

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Poor baby :(

And I know the feeling...just not as bad.  My dd was 2 and had a fever one night.  The next day, older dd went to school, dh went to work.  Around noon, she had a seizure.  At the hospital, they said she had RSV, go home with rest and fluids and follow up with ped.  Next day, went for the follow up..again, fever of 101-102 and cough.  Ped admitted her because her oxygen level was so low.  She even said the ER should've admitted her immediately the day before.  Two days later, we left the hospital, feeling much better!

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That's not what you said.  You said they use the ER to avoid a copay and for convenience.  My point was if they are on PA there is NO copay for the doctor or the ER, so that isn't a valid argument.  I don't understand how the ER would be more convenient for ANYONE?  The ones here are always packed and we don't go unless we have an issue like the pic below.  Also, some doctors can't get their patients in same day and tell them to go to the hospital.  Aside from calling you names and all that I am just trying to show you it isn't always cut and dry like you make it out to be.  Had I not trusted my gut and took my dd to the ER she could have literally died.  It all started from RSV which is why the doctor kept kind of dismissing me - it's a virus yadda yadda yadda.  We'd been to the doctor THREE times.  It's not always what you think.  I am not disagreeing that people misuse the ER.  We all know they do.  You say I am acting a fool ,but to be so callous and cold hearted saying what CHILDREN do and don't deserve just makes me sad.  I am not disregarding your point below.

Quoting Anonymous:

My apologies...I thought that my point was pretty obvious, perhaps it went over your head. Please, Allow me to explain further.....Even if it is only a 75 dollar charge, charging parents for using the ER and a regular doctor's office, will deter them from doing so....Too many people are in the ER out of convenience, rather than need, and those people cost tax payers a lot of money! They also  cause the price of medical care to rise because those who don't have insurance OR medicaid, don't pay their bills, causing hospitals to raise  prices to make up their loss.

Quoting kngarber:

Awww, that's precious.  You can't answer the question so you try to belittle me.  Cute. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the ass, yet you are the one cursing and acting like a fool, because we disagree on how government healthcare should run. Fantastic!

Quoting kngarber:

We had been to the doctor that morning.  I didn't expect you to really grasp what I was saying or shut up because you are an ass, but you are in fact wrong. PS if someone is on PA they don't have copays and if they have traditional insurace the ER is often 75.00 so what point are trying to make?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

Quoting DieselsMom:

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Good!! :) I'm happy to hear she's OK!!

Been there and done that, with similar situations and all three of my kid's.

Quoting kngarber:

Yes, she is :)  It was about 2 years ago. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting kngarber:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Congrats!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kngarber:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)