Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my neighbors gave me roaches

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been in my apartment for three months. No bugs. Not even a fly. My neighbors moved out and the very next day as I sit in my living room three little roaches walk in front of me like they own the place. It's gross. My house is spotless. My husband thinks I have ocd because I'm always cleaning. The littlest speck of dirt and I clean the entire house.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
melschlegs
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

We have one mouse that lives in our building.  We see him in passing.  I know for a fact he doesn't live in our unit... no droppings or nesting to be found anywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

no, I know from experience. Raid doesn't work, Exterminators job is to keep you with roaches. Otherwise they'd be out of business.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes they do. Also keeping the home clean, fixing leaky pipes and not leaving water sitting in sinks, tubs, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sprays do not work!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Do not do this!!! The only way that applies legally is this...
1. Send certified letter stating roaches from empty apt are coming into your apt. You would like it fixed ASAP.
2. If no one comes to spray in reasonable time, then send second letter certified stating you are hiring a bug sprayer and it will be deducted from rent.
You can never just take these things into your own hands and then say, oh I DID & PAID for it, it's coming off rent. It does not work like that.

Quoting waffa:

I work in property mgmt; you need to call the LL and get a bug guy to spray in your apt AND the vacant one.

if he/she/ Company won't get one there and pay it yourself then deduct from the rent.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been in my apartment for three months. No bugs. Not even a fly. My neighbors moved out and the very next day as I sit in my living room three little roaches walk in front of me like they own the place. It's gross. My house is spotless. My husband thinks I have ocd because I'm always cleaning. The littlest speck of dirt and I clean the entire house.

waffa
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM

by "deduct it from the rent" implied give the LL notice that if they won't pay you will, but only AFTER asking them to take care of it.

No need for a $6+ certified letters.

comprehend what you read much?

Quoting Anonymous:

1. Send certified letter stating roaches from empty apt are coming into your apt. You would like it fixed ASAP.
2. If no one comes to spray in reasonable time, then send second letter certified stating you are hiring a bug sprayer and it will be deducted from rent.
You can never just take these things into your own hands and then say, oh I DID & PAID for it, it's coming off rent. It does not work like that.

Quoting waffa:

I work in property mgmt; you need to call the LL and get a bug guy to spray in your apt AND the vacant one.

if he/she/ Company won't get one there and pay it yourself then deduct from the rent.

Quoting Anonymous:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Sorry still wont work. Do you really work in property management? Without a certified letter they can evict you for non payment of rent and no court will side with you without proof. CERTIFIED proof at that. Comprehend this...don't give bad advice on the Internet.

Quoting waffa:

by "deduct it from the rent" implied give the LL notice that if they won't pay you will, but only AFTER asking them to take care of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting waffa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Omd12
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM
There is black tar that you put in crevasses in cabinets, on top if door frames ect. We own several apartment buildings and we only use that. It's available in Walmart though we get it from local exterminator who sells it in bulk. It comes in white tubes and its by raid if you buy it at Walmart

Also your landlord is responsible to fix it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Omd12
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I'm a landlord and if evict someone who just took it out of the rent with out notiying me. I see the tenant just taking it out of rent as not working with me and will do it just for that reason. If The tenant can not notify me or roaches then I don't trust them to stay in my units.

If your LL is not responsible call the board of health in your city. They will issue a complaint to the LL.

Tenants Rent = $$ mortgage payment on house tenant lives in!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry still wont work. Do you really work in property management? Without a certified letter they can evict you for non payment of rent and no court will side with you without proof. CERTIFIED proof at that. Comprehend this...don't give bad advice on the Internet.

Quoting waffa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting waffa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

uhm, it is perfectly legal here in California; where you live it may not be, nor where she lives, but it wasn't "bad advice" tyvm.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting waffa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting waffa:

Quoting Anonymous:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
The neighbors didn't give you roaches, that's the funniest shit I've ever heard. LMAO
They were already present, call a local pest company to help rid your apartment of the bugs
rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Blech! Another reason why I will never live in an apartment! I have the heebie jeebies now! :( Definitely call the landlord asap! They need to spray before you become infested.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)