Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I was just reading the post about" how much is your income and how much do you get in FS" and it really pissed me off because I don't qualify for FS...not by a lot!!! And after all the monthly bills are paid, we have VERY little to spend for food. I just don't understand. I make $19.25 an hour which is $3080 BEFORE taxes. Health insurance is $432 a month. Rent is $1200 a month. Electric is about $250 a month average (more in the summer, less in the winter) cable/internet is $130. Phones are $100. Gas to get to work is about $300. Car payment is $300. Car insurance is $150. Do the math...for a family of 5, that leaves less than $100 a week for food. With NOTHING left over. Are you kidfing me? I see all these people getting $5-600 a month for food? And I'm scraping the bottom of the peanut butter jar for my kids every month?!? Maybe I should quit my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Replies (31-37):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Agree.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Well said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Only rent utilities and home phone is considered. Get prepaid phones, cut off cable at least.

At one point paying rent took over half of my ex's paycheck because he had a huge pay cut at the time he had to start paying family health insurance. They don't care if the health insurance eats every bit of your money. We didn't qualify because even though the $ was taken out foe said insurance they still count it as liveable income so we got nothing. We also had a cheap place at the time. Struggling was an understatement until I finally got hired a year aftermoving there as we moved there for his job he already had.
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:56 AM
I just moved from Florida, and some of your bills are ridiculous. I'm sorry, but FL has one of the lowest cost-of-living rates in the country, the gas prices are among the lowest, and you are living in a state that takes NO state income tax out of your paycheck (which is a large part of the reason why social programs in FL are severely lacking compared to elsewhere but some might consider that a good thing...)

I think you should be PROUD that you don't qualify and while I'm not trying to judge, food needs to take priority over some of the obvious luxuries you're choosing to spend a pretty penny on.

PS: Get the heck out of Lakeland while you're at it LOL. The Gulf Shores are cheaper rent-wise and prettier :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Well, let's see.

-Your electric seems ridiculous. I think praticing some power saving tips are in order. Your rent does, too. You could have found better.

-Cable/Internet is not needed. Besides...What the hell is so much? I pay $28 per month for High speed Wifi. Cable is too much, IMO, and most stations just air the show online the next day anyway, so we just hook my laptop up to our TV and watch it, and we have Netflix. A whopping $7.99/month.

-Phones. Meh, that's not TOO bad, but there are much cheaper plans out there unless you refuse to give up yapping on the phone a lot. Lol (I have a $12/month plan with no contract. I get 200 talk minutes and 250 texts. I have it for a NEED. I don't need to sit and talk. I just have it just in case of emergency etc.

-Why does it take $300 to drive to work? If you bought a gas chugger, that wasn't very clever.

-I personally would have found something cheaper than $300 payment car payment. There are a lot better deals out there. I don't like being super tied down with big payments.

-I wouldn't rent either. I would be investing, personally.

I live off of $395 a week. I AM eligible for FS. I have NONE. In fact, I have NO assistane for myself, and I am still making it. It's all about living within my means. Our cars are paid for. Nope, they were not new. They were not beaters, either, and they have lasted us FOREVER. Sure, we wanted the brand new one's. Tempting, but we decided the being bound down with debt part wasn't worth it. We can get a good, cheaper car now, and be smart NOW so it will pay off LATER. That's how I like to think. 

Oh and I was on FS once. Yep, I had a lot of money for food, but I was also completely house bound, couldn't go anywhere fun, couldn't buy anything, no phone, internet, tv. NOTHING. I sat in my home every day with nothing, (that was due to being laid off). It was no fun! I hate when people with nice homes, cars, cell phones, Internet, cable channels are complaining about people who have next to nothing because they get a lot in FS. I would take the rest any day over some more expensive groceries. Lol

All in all, it sounds like your budgeting got you there! :/

Piskie
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:17 AM
That's a ridiculous amount to be spending on phones and cable...... Cut those down and stop whining.... You know where your money goes and its not on necessities.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
This. Would you like to cram your family into a 3 bedroom 800 sqdt projects apartment? People who get that much in stamps usually have to.

You don't budget well. Get a cheaper car cut off your cable adjust your thermostat and get a car better on gas.

Be thankful you have a decent job and can feed your kids with your own money.

Quit your bitching.

I make well less and one dollar a month TOO much for stamps and guess what. .. I don't whine or bitch.

I live within my means without a dime in pa and thank the god I don't believe in every day that i finally don't qualify.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then maybe you need to cut off your TV and cable.. buy a cheaper car.. and find a cheaper place. If you can't afford food, then obviously you need to re-budget.
ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Cut out the TV... 

I dropped our TV (switched to netflix and hulu, so pay way less than any 'cable' service). Finally convinced hubby to move his phone plan with mine, so we cut phones by $20-$40 each month as well. Internet is already at it's cheapest, lol. Kind of need that too... almost everything is on it, including child support for my oldest, bill paying, and access to my credit union (I moved away from it, and no I will not drop somewhere that I've been a member for over 10 years). 

Also, coupon! Seriously! Just be careful... it's addicting. But, you can get your toothpaste for damn near free, if it's not free. Toothbrushes, razors can be less than $3 for big name (Venus, Shick Hydro) and even shaving gels and creams can be super cheap. Use coupons on foods too. You can find coupons for frozen veggies, and score great deals with that if you have a store that doubles.  We drink a lot of coffee,here, and I just scored 30.6oz French Roast Maxwell House for $4.99 a container.... normally priced at over $7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN