Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, if a kid has a meltdown in a restaurant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 814 Replies
5 moms liked this
Do they have just as much of a right to be there as everyone else? Someone in a post said if their kid is in a meltdown and others don't like their autistic child having a meltdown, it's the quiet people who need to leave. Do you agree?

"your not going to stop a strong willed mother from taking her beautiful child out to dinner if she sees fit. Meltdown or not.. and I would LOVE to see a restaurant try to kick us out because my child has a medical issue. Bring it on.. Because you can believe this momma wouldn't go down without a fight in a matter of speaking"
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:19 AM
34 moms liked this
No. I'd take my kid outside and just wait until they older to try again
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Me too. That's what I would do also.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. I'd take my kid outside and just wait until they older to try again

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:22 AM
4 moms liked this
No I always leave or walk outside and talk to him. It has happened a couple of times. Not so much anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:22 AM
52 moms liked this
So inconsiderate, and ignorant. Smh

Parents like that annoy the shit outta me.
jesistar6910
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:22 AM
84 moms liked this

I do not agree. We all have the right to go out and enjoy a meal without a kid in the next row of tables screaming at the top of their lungs.

When my 2 year old gets huffy at a restaurant I give her crayons and a page out of her coloring book, and BAM! Instant tantrum control. It's about redirection. If that doesn't work, I will take my child out of the restaurant, have DH pack up our left overs and we leave. I won't subject other patrons to the screams of my kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:23 AM
21 moms liked this
Sorry, but the quiet people paid to enjoy their meal. It's the CONSIDERATE thing to do- take your child elsewhere to calm down, and if it's not working.. then you should leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree. I take my kids outside until they are done. People deserve to eat in peace. They pay enough these days.

Quoting Sunshine257:

No I always leave or walk outside and talk to him. It has happened a couple of times. Not so much anymore.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
6 moms liked this
If my child is being truely disruptive to others I take them out to calm.down or I leave altogether but my kids don't have autism so I can't say how I would handle that.
I do tend to be sure an establishment is family friendly before I take my kids there. I'm.certainly not goimg to take them to a fine dining establishment. If you have a kid prone to public meltdowns Friendly's seems like a better choice.
LilrockerMama
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
17 moms liked this
I think it would be rude to let your child have a meltdown and expect everyone else to get over it and leave.. I'm not a mother of a special needs I do believe everyone has the right to take their child out and stuff, but still common courtesy does not fly out the window...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)