Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, if a kid has a meltdown in a restaurant

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do they have just as much of a right to be there as everyone else? Someone in a post said if their kid is in a meltdown and others don't like their autistic child having a meltdown, it's the quiet people who need to leave. Do you agree?

"your not going to stop a strong willed mother from taking her beautiful child out to dinner if she sees fit. Meltdown or not.. and I would LOVE to see a restaurant try to kick us out because my child has a medical issue. Bring it on.. Because you can believe this momma wouldn't go down without a fight in a matter of speaking"
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
I take that back it happened the other day. We had been taking buses and trains all day and going to the mall he had enough. We did leave but I grabbed a cup of coffee. I know now what his limits are and know I can't take him on such a long trip. Those little feet are walking three times more to keep up with me. He usually doesn't melt down but under those circumstances I understand why he did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM
5 moms liked this
Hell no. Disruption like that needs to be taken outside, autistic or not. Its basic courtesy to respect the rest of the general public by not subjecting them to outbursts. If you're child has a medical issue and can't handle being in a quiet atmosphere without disrupting the entire place, I'm sorry, but reconsider going. Its really that simple.
catchup29
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
We were at a nice chinesse restaurant once. There was a family of 7 right in the middle of the place. They had a 90+ year old woman and a early teen. Both in wheel chairs. The elderly lady couldnt feed herself. They kept saying " num num grandma, isnt that good" The child kept making noises and spitting her food out. Then she choked and they all panicked and made a huge sceen.

Why would they subject their loved ones to the public spectacle? Everyone, especially the staff was frustrated. It disrupted everyones meals.

Take them out of the restaurant. Leave them home. Not a popular opinion I know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:26 AM
um we pay then leave so then ds knows not to do it again in public.
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I do the same thing, I don't want my child being the reason someone else doesn't enjoy a meal they are paying for. If I can't calm my child down we pay and leave.

Quoting jesistar6910:

I do not agree. We all have the right to go out and enjoy a meal without a kid in the next row of tables screaming at the top of their lungs.

When my 2 year old gets huffy at a restaurant I give her crayons and a page out of her coloring book, and BAM! Instant tantrum control. It's about redirection. If that doesn't work, I will take my child out of the restaurant, have DH pack up our left overs and we leave. I won't subject other patrons to the screams of my kid.

ValRiggs
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM
5 moms liked this

Lol.. I love how you keep hididng behind 'annonymous'.. In any event.. I was mainly referring to the times when we are out of town and have no choice but to take the children out to dinner.. YES my son throwns tantrums sometimes (not all the time) but yes.. He is autistic.. Simply giving him crayons and paper to color does not work. In most cases when I try to redirect his attention, he lashes out even more, so the best thing for me to do is ignore it.. and he will eventually stop. It might take 5 minutes it might take 10. But that's my decision. Like I said in the other post.. We do have a right to be out in public as well. I get so sick and tired of ppl always being so judemental. We are all adults here for crying out loud.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:30 AM
Exactly. It's just common courtesy!

Quoting kmorales7690:

I do the same thing, I don't want my child being the reason someone else doesn't enjoy a meal they are paying for. If I can't calm my child down we pay and leave.

Quoting jesistar6910:

I do not agree. We all have the right to go out and enjoy a meal without a kid in the next row of tables screaming at the top of their lungs.

When my 2 year old gets huffy at a restaurant I give her crayons and a page out of her coloring book, and BAM! Instant tantrum control. It's about redirection. If that doesn't work, I will take my child out of the restaurant, have DH pack up our left overs and we leave. I won't subject other patrons to the screams of my kid.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Remove them from the situation. I have no idea why you WOULDN'T take them out of a situation that is obviously upsetting them. People are so selfish and inconsiderate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:33 AM
15 moms liked this
Wow, now you know every anon? I'd go anon if I were YOU, id be embarrassed to tell people that you just expect everyone to deal with your kid because you have the right and YES, I'm the same anon who said you acted entitled and I stand by that!

Quoting ValRiggs:

Lol.. I love how you keep hididng behind 'annonymous'.. In any event.. I was mainly referring to the times when we are out of town and have no choice but to take the children out to dinner.. YES my son throwns tantrums sometimes (not all the time) but yes.. He is autistic.. Simply giving him crayons and paper to color does not work. In most cases when I try to redirect his attention, he lashes out even more, so the best thing for me to do is ignore it.. and he will eventually stop. It might take 5 minutes it might take 10. But that's my decision. Like I said in the other post.. We do have a right to be out in public as well. I get so sick and tired of ppl always being so judemental. We are all adults here for crying out loud.

DarlaHood
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:33 AM
11 moms liked this

I don't think anyone should be rude or intolerant of a parent with a special needs child (or any child) that is trying to get the situation under control.  But if the parent is unable to calm things down then it is not unreasonable to expect she remove the child from the restaurant.  People do spend a lot of money to be able to go out and enjoy dinner and enjoy being social.  No one should be yelling or screaming in the restaurant.  However if we do see a mom or dad who is clearly struggling, we could be nice and cut them some slack.  Most of us have the majority of our meals without having to deal with such a scenario.  The special needs parent may not have that luxury.  Nothing wrong with being grateful for our peace, and actually offering to help or just smiling and being kind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)