Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, if a kid has a meltdown in a restaurant

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do they have just as much of a right to be there as everyone else? Someone in a post said if their kid is in a meltdown and others don't like their autistic child having a meltdown, it's the quiet people who need to leave. Do you agree?

"your not going to stop a strong willed mother from taking her beautiful child out to dinner if she sees fit. Meltdown or not.. and I would LOVE to see a restaurant try to kick us out because my child has a medical issue. Bring it on.. Because you can believe this momma wouldn't go down without a fight in a matter of speaking"
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM
My son never gets loud LOUD the tables next to us will notice if he is having an episode, but the tables next to us, if everything was normal could if they care to easy drop on us, so I don't take him out.

He hasn't gotten load enough lately to take him out. I have had parents tell me I should beat him for his behavior. Though when he was little and would scream as loud as he could and I had to hold him, I would get people telling me hs was going to suffacate. Seriously, you can't win for losing in the publication eye. Is my opinion.

Nolanzo
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM
13 moms liked this
Expecting everyone else within earshot of your child to put up with 10 or even 5 minutes of screaming, whining, wailing, flailing, whatever it is he does is RUDE. Plain and simple.

Take.Him.Outside. Its not that difficult.

You have conditioned yourself to be able to tune him out. The rest of the world has not. Nor should they be forced to try.

Quoting ValRiggs:

Lol.. I love how you keep hididng behind 'annonymous'.. In any event.. I was mainly referring to the times when we are out of town and have no choice but to take the children out to dinner.. YES my son throwns tantrums sometimes (not all the time) but yes.. He is autistic.. Simply giving him crayons and paper to color does not work. In most cases when I try to redirect his attention, he lashes out even more, so the best thing for me to do is ignore it.. and he will eventually stop. It might take 5 minutes it might take 10. But that's my decision. Like I said in the other post.. We do have a right to be out in public as well. I get so sick and tired of ppl always being so judemental. We are all adults here for crying out loud.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM
4 moms liked this
I can't believe what I'm reading here! So your kid puts holes in the walls and screams and your solution is to IGNORE it? He shouldn't be allowed out in public let alone a restaurant.

Quoting ValRiggs:

Hmm.. Well when we are 2 hours away from home.. and my child has not eaten because they were in dr. apts all day having testing done which required an empty tummy.. Then I think I'm going to choose making my child eat.. then removing them from an upsetting situation. You pick your battles.. and sometimes.. You just can't help being put in certain situations. I was NOT stating in any way shape or form that I take my son out on a daily basis to eat and let him throw fits out in public all the time.. But If I have no choice in the matter, then yes, I'm going to do it.. and I have a right to. Just like you have a right to sit there and make judgements.

ValRiggs
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:47 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I so love how everyone here likes to twist words and make it seem like worse case scenario. Omg. You telling me I have no common sense because I disagree with this wonderful group of ladies on CM at 5 in the morning.. really makes me laugh.. I was stating.. In very precise situations if I don't have any other option but to be out in public.. Then yes.. I have a right to be.. and shouldn't be made to feel any other way simply because of a tantrum that usually lasts mere minutes. You ppl are so small minded. I was referring mostly to situations when like I stated very clearly.. we are 2 hrs away at the doctors office (we go up there about once a month) and I have no other choice but to stop somewhere to eat.. I'm not going to force the 5 of us to eat in our car.. I'm sorry.. call it rude if you want lol.. But having already spent 2 hrs in the car driving up, and another 2 to get home.. It's simply not going to happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:47 AM
3 moms liked this
This. Take your kid outside. You need parenting lessons.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's when you get your food Togo and you eat in the car.

Quoting ValRiggs:

Hmm.. Well when we are 2 hours away from home.. and my child has not eaten because they were in dr. apts all day having testing done which required an empty tummy.. Then I think I'm going to choose making my child eat.. then removing them from an upsetting situation. You pick your battles.. and sometimes.. You just can't help being put in certain situations. I was NOT stating in any way shape or form that I take my son out on a daily basis to eat and let him throw fits out in public all the time.. But If I have no choice in the matter, then yes, I'm going to do it.. and I have a right to. Just like you have a right to sit there and make judgements.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:47 AM
4 moms liked this

whenever my ds had a meltdown in a restaurant  or any public place i took him out of  the area  til he calmed down. just because my kid has a disability doesnt mean he shoukd interrupt others dining experience.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:47 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on the restaurant, if a restaurant hands out kids menus to color and crayons, you have to expect a certain level of kid noise and if that bothers you, raise your dining standards.  If I was at a restaurant not geared towards children and families then I would complain to management.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Yup. I call you Rude. You are the kind of parent that made me want to not want kids when I was younger. Even at 16, I knew better than the parents letting their kid melt down.

Quoting ValRiggs:

LOL I so love how everyone here likes to twist words and make it seem like worse case scenario. Omg. You telling me I have no common sense because I disagree with this wonderful group of ladies on CM at 5 in the morning.. really makes me laugh.. I was stating.. In very precise situations if I don't have any other option but to be out in public.. Then yes.. I have a right to be.. and shouldn't be made to feel any other way simply because of a tantrum that usually lasts mere minutes. You ppl are so small minded. I was referring mostly to situations when like I stated very clearly.. we are 2 hrs away at the doctors office (we go up there about once a month) and I have no other choice but to stop somewhere to eat.. I'm not going to force the 5 of us to eat in our car.. I'm sorry.. call it rude if you want lol.. But having already spent 2 hrs in the car driving up, and another 2 to get home.. It's simply not going to happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My kid has ADD and I always took him out when he acted up. Never acted like I had a right to disrupt meals.

Quoting Jamie1972:

whenever my ds had a meltdown in a restaurant  or any public place i took him out of  the area  til he calmed down. just because my kid has a disability doesnt mean he shoukd interrupt others dining experience.

ValRiggs
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually don't take my children to places that are not family oriented.. so.. yeah.. And believe me when I say this.. There have also been plenty times that my child was not the loudest.. At least my son doesn't get up and run around the restaurant while the parent tried to chase them down. And no.. I don't need parenting lessons.. But a few ppl here definitely need to brush up on their manners. You all call me rude.. But I'm sorry.. I think wanting a family to leave simply because the child is throwing a fit for a few minutes.. is rude.. You don't know what these families go through on a day to day.. And the ones of you that have children like this and choose to approach the situation differently then myself or others I know, thats great! I'm so happy for you! You do what works for you.. and let others do the same! =]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)