Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, if a kid has a meltdown in a restaurant

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do they have just as much of a right to be there as everyone else? Someone in a post said if their kid is in a meltdown and others don't like their autistic child having a meltdown, it's the quiet people who need to leave. Do you agree?

"your not going to stop a strong willed mother from taking her beautiful child out to dinner if she sees fit. Meltdown or not.. and I would LOVE to see a restaurant try to kick us out because my child has a medical issue. Bring it on.. Because you can believe this momma wouldn't go down without a fight in a matter of speaking"
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM
4 moms liked this
I can guarantee no one cares about your kids disorder when they are listening to screaming when they might get out once or twice a year.
florphernandez
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this

thats exactly what i do.

Quoting jesistar6910:

I do not agree. We all have the right to go out and enjoy a meal without a kid in the next row of tables screaming at the top of their lungs.

When my 2 year old gets huffy at a restaurant I give her crayons and a page out of her coloring book, and BAM! Instant tantrum control. It's about redirection. If that doesn't work, I will take my child out of the restaurant, have DH pack up our left overs and we leave. I won't subject other patrons to the screams of my kid.

twin girlsMy Girls,My World<3

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Quoting Nolanzo:

Hell no. Disruption like that needs to be taken outside, autistic or not. Its basic courtesy to respect the rest of the general public by not subjecting them to outbursts. If you're child has a medical issue and can't handle being in a quiet atmosphere without disrupting the entire place, I'm sorry, but reconsider going. Its really that simple.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM
3 moms liked this
I can tell by your attitude that you think it's okay for your kid to throw a temper tantrum and by your own admission, you ignore it!! Someone else brought up a good point, what makes you think you are the only parent of special needs kids there? Autism is what 1-50 now? Chances are you are disrupting a meal or causing a child anxiety by your kid acting out. With your shitty attitude I'd have words with you and if that didn't work, I'd call the manager.

Quoting ValRiggs:

I usually don't take my children to places that are not family oriented.. so.. yeah.. And believe me when I say this.. There have also been plenty times that my child was not the loudest.. At least my son doesn't get up and run around the restaurant while the parent tried to chase them down. And no.. I don't need parenting lessons.. But a few ppl here definitely need to brush up on their manners. You all call me rude.. But I'm sorry.. I think wanting a family to leave simply because the child is throwing a fit for a few minutes.. is rude.. You don't know what these families go through on a day to day.. And the ones of you that have children like this and choose to approach the situation differently then myself or others I know, thats great! I'm so happy for you! You do what works for you.. and let others do the same! =]

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM
3 moms liked this
This plus the restaurant has every reason to ask you to leave if other customers are complaining.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, but the quiet people paid to enjoy their meal. It's the CONSIDERATE thing to do- take your child elsewhere to calm down, and if it's not working.. then you should leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:12 AM
3 moms liked this
They do. Kids DO NOT have the right to act a fool in a restaurant, even if you think it's their "right". Other patrons have just as much a right. I agree, eat in the car if its that important.

Quoting lapcounter:

This plus the restaurant has every reason to ask you to leave if other customers are complaining.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, but the quiet people paid to enjoy their meal. It's the CONSIDERATE thing to do- take your child elsewhere to calm down, and if it's not working.. then you should leave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM
5 moms liked this
You won't subject your family to eating in the car, but you'll let your kids disrupt others meals. Sounds legit.

Quoting ValRiggs:

LOL I so love how everyone here likes to twist words and make it seem like worse case scenario. Omg. You telling me I have no common sense because I disagree with this wonderful group of ladies on CM at 5 in the morning.. really makes me laugh.. I was stating.. In very precise situations if I don't have any other option but to be out in public.. Then yes.. I have a right to be.. and shouldn't be made to feel any other way simply because of a tantrum that usually lasts mere minutes. You ppl are so small minded. I was referring mostly to situations when like I stated very clearly.. we are 2 hrs away at the doctors office (we go up there about once a month) and I have no other choice but to stop somewhere to eat.. I'm not going to force the 5 of us to eat in our car.. I'm sorry.. call it rude if you want lol.. But having already spent 2 hrs in the car driving up, and another 2 to get home.. It's simply not going to happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like the person OP is talking about is looking for a fight. When she says her kids are screaming and if you don't like it to "Bring it", sounds to me like you looking for a fight. Why? I have a feeling with your attitude, someone will "bring it" sooner rather than later.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Maybe she's looking to file a discrimination suit because someone told her and her screaming kid to leave.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like the person OP is talking about is looking for a fight. When she says her kids are screaming and if you don't like it to "Bring it", sounds to me like you looking for a fight. Why? I have a feeling with your attitude, someone will "bring it" sooner rather than later.

Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Its called common courtesy. If a child is throwing a fit you remove them till calm so as not to disrupt everyone elses meal. That is the adult thing to do. A medical condition is not an excuse to ruin someone elses evening that they have also paid for. It normally doesn't bother me but if it is my child they get taken outside till they can be calm or we get our food to go. I'm not going to make everyone else sit and listen to my child throw a fit. They are not the parent and I will do the adult thing and leave and let everyone continue their meal in peace

Quoting kmorales7690:

I do the same thing, I don't want my child being the reason someone else doesn't enjoy a meal they are paying for. If I can't calm my child down we pay and leave.

Quoting jesistar6910:

I do not agree. We all have the right to go out and enjoy a meal without a kid in the next row of tables screaming at the top of their lungs.

When my 2 year old gets huffy at a restaurant I give her crayons and a page out of her coloring book, and BAM! Instant tantrum control. It's about redirection. If that doesn't work, I will take my child out of the restaurant, have DH pack up our left overs and we leave. I won't subject other patrons to the screams of my kid.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN