Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Terrible , - Court Orders FDA to Make Emergency Contraception Available Over-the-Counter for All Ages

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about this ruling?

Options:

I am against it.

I am for it.

Not sure / something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 282

View Results

How irresponsible is this?

What if a young girl has a complication after taking this abortion pill? 

I need to write a note for my daughter to take a tylenol , so how does this happen?

Court Orders FDA to Make Emergency Contraception Available Over-the-Counter for All Ages

In a long-awaited decision released early this morning, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Korman ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make emergency contraception available over-the-counter to women of all ages, marking a major win for public health and women’s rights in a year that has seen science otherwise buried under an avalanche of anti-choice politics. In his decision, Judge Korman orders the FDA to make levonorgestrel-based emergency contraception available over-the-counter without an age or point-of-sale restriction.

Clicky Link Here

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
CodenameDuchess
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM
You spelled 'terrific' wrong.

And PlanB is NOT the 'abortion pill,' it's a single high dose of the same estrogen in OCPs.

And even though its OTC, you still need to ask for it at the pharmacy, and any responsible pharmacist will counsel a very young patient on PlanB's use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
This is awesome. When I was a teen you had to go to planned parenthood or a free clinic to get the morning after pill. And it cost like $60- something most teens don't just have laying around. I had a few friends who had scares and went to my mom for help (shes iin L&D) she gave them the money to get it and in a couple of cases she took them to the clinic. I'm so grateful I had such an open minded and understanding mother. It must suck to be the child of some of you who think that if a teen makes a mistake she should have to pay for it for the rest of her life. All of my friends are grown and successful. Something I may not be able to say if they had suffered the fate of most teen moms.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a high dose of the pill so stop spewing nonsense. Here's an idea, why don't you adopt all the babies of irresponsible teens. Problem solved.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting jojo_star:

I think that is great.  Also, Plan B is NOT an abortion pill, it will NOT cause an abortion, it is birth control, just like the pill, only in much higher doses, it will not terminate an existing pregnancy.

I think its so irresponsible. Think of the possible side affects and problems a young girl could have and then even her parents wouldn't know what was going on. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting jojo_star:

I think that is great.  Also, Plan B is NOT an abortion pill, it will NOT cause an abortion, it is birth control, just like the pill, only in much higher doses, it will not terminate an existing pregnancy.

I think its so irresponsible. Think of the possible side affects and problems a young girl could have and then even her parents wouldn't know what was going on. 

If a girl has parents she loves and trusts and feels safe going to, chances are, they'll know. If a girl doesn't go to her parents, she has a reason, like them being as uneducated as you and thinking it is the abortion pill, or being against birth control, or beating her for having sex, or not believing that she was raped, etc. The side effects and problems of a young getting pregnant are a lot more far reaching and irreversible than using Plan B. I know, I got pregnant at 12. Trust me, those side effects and problems don't go away, can't be medically treated, and last for about 18+ years. 

Lillymygirl
1 mom liked this

allowing young children to buy a drug without any parental supervision or involvement of a Doctor is terrible.

Quoting ColieO:

Having choices and rights over our bodies is so terrible.

Liz132

I don't think it causes an abortion, it's not suppose to work if the woman is already pregnant. I'm prolife and actually think this is a good thing, less unwanted pregnancies, and less abortion. Much better than a women aborting a baby at say 22 weeks which in legal in my state.

catrig
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I think that's great.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I get where you're coming from but a lot of these other bitches won't. I actually watch my kids though.

CodenameDuchess
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Like it or not, teenagers have the right to bodily autonomy and the right to make their own medical decisions.

You understand d that they can buy any other OTC medication, right? Every drug has possible side effects and anyone can have complications from them.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Quoting jojo_star:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

But a young child getting pregnant and having to either have a baby, an abortion, or give it up for adoption after going through a pregnancy, that's a good thing? Plan B is the pill, you can go, at any age, to any health department or PP and get the pill or other birth control.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

allowing young children to buy a drug without any parental supervision or involvement of a Doctor is terrible.

Quoting ColieO:

Having choices and rights over our bodies is so terrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)