Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Terrible , - Court Orders FDA to Make Emergency Contraception Available Over-the-Counter for All Ages

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about this ruling?

Options:

I am against it.

I am for it.

Not sure / something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 282

View Results

How irresponsible is this?

What if a young girl has a complication after taking this abortion pill? 

I need to write a note for my daughter to take a tylenol , so how does this happen?

Court Orders FDA to Make Emergency Contraception Available Over-the-Counter for All Ages

In a long-awaited decision released early this morning, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Korman ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make emergency contraception available over-the-counter to women of all ages, marking a major win for public health and women’s rights in a year that has seen science otherwise buried under an avalanche of anti-choice politics. In his decision, Judge Korman orders the FDA to make levonorgestrel-based emergency contraception available over-the-counter without an age or point-of-sale restriction.

Clicky Link Here

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mcelly
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
It's NOT AN ABORTION PILL. Educate yourself!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
It isn't an abortion pill. I think it should be available without a prescription, but I also think you should have to speak with the pharmacist before getting it. I'm not a huge fan of hormonal BC.
Lillymygirl
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I feel like it just throws out most vulnerable to the wolves. These kids will not have the benefit of any guidance by either a parent or a Doctor. Plus what have they learned? No-ones saying Hey did you protect yourself at all? Do you know all the risks to unprotected sex? Were you raped? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's good and bad but I hope the young girls taking it are aware of the side effects/possibilities of the contraception and of sex but I doubt they will be...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Abortion pill? I think you are thinking of methotrexate, if you are thinking at all.
CodenameDuchess
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM
"Young children"? Please, you make it sound like droves of pre-teens are going to go out a first PAY the $50 for PlanB and then have some serious rare complication.

You're being a little dramatic. Sounds like a problem that can be solved by proper parental supervision and education.

Quoting Lillymygirl:

allowing young children to buy a drug without any parental supervision or involvement of a Doctor is terrible.

Quoting ColieO:

Having choices and rights over our bodies is so terrible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't buy cold medicine or spray paint over the counter but let's sell abortion pills over the counter. Sure, makes perfect sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Uh....You do know this is not the "abortion pill" right?

I started my period at 11...My aunt had a child at 12 from being raped by her father. I think females of any age need access without parental interference.

mcclainprincess
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Ffs its not an abortion pill. Its a high dose of bc and should be available for any sexually active female.. Seems like common sense to me.
honey27
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

go work with teen moms then you will know why i'm for it, seriously.

Mrspotatolips
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Meh, pregnancy has way more side effects than this pill. I think this is a good thing. Maybe it will prevent some scared teenager from stabbing her hidden newborn with a pair of scissors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)