Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mama's with their tongue pierced, get in here!!

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've had my tongue pierced for 24 hours now. It feels like my tongue is a little numb on the sides/tip. Is this normal? My piercer isn't in today or I would ask him. If normal, how long will it last? It feels like a little of the swelling has went down. Not completely, but a little.

Also, I've heard conflicting information about what to gargle with. My piercer said to use non-alcoholic mouthwash, then after a week, cut it half and half with water. I've talked to other people who say all you have to use is salt water and that's what their piercer told them to do. What's the best stuff to use?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kymom23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Bumpity bump bump

nazgor
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I have no idea. I wanted my tongue pierced and couldn't do it :(

bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adamswifey_xo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I used the yellow listerene mouth wash healed great I've had mine for 2yrs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Mine has never been numb and I used the mouthwash both times I got it done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM

As far as I can remember it s normal. Mine has been done for 15 years though.

I gargles with both salt water and mouthwash.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I'm not sure about the numbness but I used the H2Ocean spray stuff. And gargled with salt water. It's been 7 yrs ago that I had mine pierced so I can't remember if it was numb or anything.
kymom23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Thanks for the bump. You should do it. It really isn't that bad. The thing that bothered me the most was him holding my tongue out with the clamp. lol The needle stick was like a pinch, then it was over. It's just a little sore today. Nothing ibuprofen won't take care of. :) The swelling is a little annoying, but it's already started going down. The bottom of my tongue feels a little like it's bruised.

Quoting nazgor:

I have no idea. I wanted my tongue pierced and couldn't do it :(

bump

LaughingTattoo
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Salt water or mouthwash is fine. Ive always prefered mouthwash. Swelling can take up to a week to go down...the numbness will go with it

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I used the yellow Listerine wash and it healed just fine. What you are feeling is normal, well it was for me, and the swelling should go down significantly within the next 72 hours. Suck on ice if you can :) good luck! I've had mine for 8 years with no problems.

ToolArmy066
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I honestly don't remember, its been like 6 years.The only advice i have is don't eat chicken parm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)