Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has Paganism changed?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am Christian, but I was Pagan for many years. One of the things that I learned when I was practicing Wicca was an understanding that all Gods are one God with many names/incarnations. Respect for ALL belief systems was one of the main tenets. There was a clear understanding that spiritual beliefs are highly personal and should be respected.
On this website alone, I see so much hatred and/or mocking of Yahweh, and the Christian belief system. I don't understand it. If, as a Pagan, you do not believe in Yahweh, I do not see a problem with that. Your beliefs are what they are and I respect that. It is what is right for you. If worship of Yahweh is right for Christians, why do those that do not worship him see the need to criticize and condemn those that do believe.
There are Christians that get very pushy, true. But isn't it still part of the Pagan creed to respect ALL religions? Why not be the better person and NOT follow the example of the pushy Christians you abhor so much. It isn't right to hurt a large group of innocents over the actions of a few.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Replies (91-97):
harehelper
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

You are missing the point. If someone attacks you first, that is one thing. Op is talking about unprovoked attacks.

Quoting Anonymous:

If someoen comes at me bashing my beliefs, yes i will stick up for myself. And its simple, leave the thread if its bothering you so much. 

Quoting Anonymous:

On a site like this, the words affect more than just one person though. Is it right for someone who IS respectful to open a thread and be presented with disrespect to their faith, just because two OTHER people offended each other? I am referring to offense on both sides here...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am Christian, but I was Pagan for many years. One of the things that I learned when I was practicing Wicca was an understanding that all Gods are one God with many names/incarnations. Respect for ALL belief systems was one of the main tenets. There was a clear understanding that spiritual beliefs are highly personal and should be respected.

On this website alone, I see so much hatred and/or mocking of Yahweh, and the Christian belief system. I don't understand it. If, as a Pagan, you do not believe in Yahweh, I do not see a problem with that. Your beliefs are what they are and I respect that. It is what is right for you. If worship of Yahweh is right for Christians, why do those that do not worship him see the need to criticize and condemn those that do believe.

There are Christians that get very pushy, true. But isn't it still part of the Pagan creed to respect ALL religions? Why not be the better person and NOT follow the example of the pushy Christians you abhor so much. It isn't right to hurt a large group of innocents over the actions of a few.

Respect my religion and i will respect yours. How hard is that ?? When you have all these supposedly "Christian" people coming at you with hatred for YOUR beliefs, not hard to understand why there is hate back. Sure its great to see some of the supportive Christians on here. Its great. But you can only poke someone so many times before they will say something back. YOU may respect other peoples beliefs, but many out there do NOT respect ours. 

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
You were talking about what wasn't okay when you were Wiccan. The Wiccans have a rede that states how to treat others, many other paths do not. Paganism hasn't changed, you are just meeting others from other paths.

Quoting Anonymous:

*sigh*

Where do I say that all Pagans are Wiccan? Where do I even infer that? *I* was Wiccan, which is what I keep stating.

I am starting to wonder if people actually read these posts.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Well not all Pagans are Wiccan, so we don't all follow the same belief system. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It just frustrates me!

You are right. Mostly, it seems to be a lot of the Atheists, but I have seen a lot of Pagans on here doing this, and I remember that not being okay when I was Wiccan....

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

paganism hasn't changed. people have changed.  people are becoming ignorant, intolerant, intolerable assholes. i don't think i've ever seen a pagan bash a christian.  atheists on the other hand..  most are awesome people. but the ones that like to tel everyone they're wrong for believing in anything are pushy assholes who need to mind their own damn business.  same with christians who push their beliefs on everyone.  the new atheist movement is equal to the westboro group.  if i wasn't a firm believer in karma....  well, i have very strong feelings about people like that.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.  no one is entitled to tell anyone else that their beliefs are wrong.  religion, spirituality... it's all a very personal thing and no one should try to dictate to another what they should follow as long as it's not hurting anyone else. feel, what you want, believe what you want.  but have the courtesy to not force it on other people.  most just want to be left alone. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

That's one problem with the internet though, you never know if that person was actually involved in the faith they claimed or not. Although I can tell you for sure that no one who speaks that way to other people has a relationship with Jesus, no matter what they may claim.

Quoting jlinville30:

Then you knew the wrong people. People who claim to being Pagan or Wiccan take to it differently. Myself I could care less what people believe as long as they didn't shove it down my throat or try to belittle me because I believe in a Goddess and God. But I stay mostly to myself and could care less what everyone else does their lives or beliefs are none of my concern. But when some one says thay should have all been burned at the Salem Witch Trial I kindly remind them that the majority burned were not Pagan but people that others wanted out of the way or were just mad at.

And there was one person on here whose post title was "Why Are There Still Pagans". Claimed they were Christian and bashed Pagans like we were the filthiest of filth. And that was the only one that I had seen that talked badly. I never bashed them I just added some facts when I replied. 

Quoting AlekD:

I am also a Christian convert from paganism.

/highfive

I know I had a lot of hatred in my heart for Christians when I was pagan and I was only ever affirmed in that hatred by the other pagans I knew. :/ So no..I don't see that it has changed much. Pagans tend to be very accepting...as long as you agree with them. xP

jlinville30
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I know it was an example of a few month old post that I had saw that was bashing Pagans becausee they believed that all Pagans should not be alive.

Quoting harehelper:

That's one problem with the internet though, you never know if that person was actually involved in the faith they claimed or not. Although I can tell you for sure that no one who speaks that way to other people has a relationship with Jesus, no matter what they may claim.

Quoting jlinville30:

Then you knew the wrong people. People who claim to being Pagan or Wiccan take to it differently. Myself I could care less what people believe as long as they didn't shove it down my throat or try to belittle me because I believe in a Goddess and God. But I stay mostly to myself and could care less what everyone else does their lives or beliefs are none of my concern. But when some one says thay should have all been burned at the Salem Witch Trial I kindly remind them that the majority burned were not Pagan but people that others wanted out of the way or were just mad at.

And there was one person on here whose post title was "Why Are There Still Pagans". Claimed they were Christian and bashed Pagans like we were the filthiest of filth. And that was the only one that I had seen that talked badly. I never bashed them I just added some facts when I replied. 

Quoting AlekD:

/highfive

I know I had a lot of hatred in my heart for Christians when I was pagan and I was only ever affirmed in that hatred by the other pagans I knew. :/ So no..I don't see that it has changed much. Pagans tend to be very accepting...as long as you agree with them. xP

harehelper
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, I remember it, it was pretty harsh. I guess to me, it was obvious that person wasn't genuinely Christian. It frustrates me that people use behavior like that to judge Christians, when it is clear that these people aren't following Christ at all.

Quoting jlinville30:

I know it was an example of a few month old post that I had saw that was bashing Pagans becausee they believed that all Pagans should not be alive.

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting jlinville30:

Quoting AlekD:

/highfive

jlinville30
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I have actually meet Christians who actually think that way and brings up the Salem Witch Trials and get offended when I tell them that not every single person burned back then were Pagans but God fearing people who made enemys and were wanted out of the way and that it all started with some kids.

Quoting harehelper:

Yeah, I remember it, it was pretty harsh. I guess to me, it was obvious that person wasn't genuinely Christian. It frustrates me that people use behavior like that to judge Christians, when it is clear that these people aren't following Christ at all.

Quoting jlinville30:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting jlinville30:

Quoting AlekD:

/highfive

harehelper
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Yeah, they are out there. They are deeply mistaken in their attitudes, but they are out there. *sigh*
Quoting jlinville30:

I have actually meet Christians who actually think that way and brings up the Salem Witch Trials and get offended when I tell them that not every single person burned back then were Pagans but God fearing people who made enemys and were wanted out of the way and that it all started with some kids.

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting jlinville30:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting jlinville30:

Quoting AlekD:

/highfive

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)