Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I the only parent who doesn't give a crap about what other peoples' kids are doing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
5 moms liked this

As a spin off of "your kid has a meltdown in a restaurant" post, I wanted to ask am I the only one who doesn't pay attention to what you and your kid are doing.

I have a child with autism, but I don't spend the precious few hours I get of respit concerned about what some other child is doing at another table.  There was ONE time that I complained to management about what a child was doing-- she was licking clean silverware at another table, she went and put her fingers inside the glasses at yet another table, and she took food off of the plate of an absolute stranger of another table.  The parents did nothing, most people in the room complained and they were asked to leave.  I was there with my kids, and the ONLY reason I said anything was my kids were even complaining about her.

For the most part, I tune your children out, I'm way too focused on my family, my kids, my table, to give flying fuck what you are doing at yours.  My son doesn't tantrum at a restaurant, he's grown out of it for the most part, and in the really, really, really once in a lifetime time he did, we left.

I'm just trying to figure out this phenonom of allowing one child to ruin your evening.  Do you also let people who sit at the table and talk loudly on cell phones ruin your day too?  Do loud obnoxious drunks ruin your weekends?  What about kids playing in their own backyards yelling and screaming?  Do bratty kids at Disney World, set you off?  Do you ever stop and think that you, who are bugged by some absolute stranger in a bad moment, that it's you with the problem and not the kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I have a feeling you're going to get a lot of spotty pissed off responses
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I also ignore other children unless I notice they are in danger.
sexychica25
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I didn't read anything past the title. As long as it doesn't ruin my dining experience, I could care less.
ElitestJen
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't care unless your kid is bothering me.  If I'm at Target trying to pick out a pair of socks and my thoughts are disrupted by a glass-breaking shriek - I'm gonna notice. 

At this point, I generally only go to kid friendly restaurants when I'm with my kids.  Because parents have gotten so entitled and their children are monsters, I've come to despise kid friendly restaurants. 

No, kids playing outside doesn't bother me.  No, kids at Disney world don't bother me.  And if an adult bothered me, I'd just smile and make it look like I was gossiping about them and their rudeness.

1crazymomx1
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I agree with you. Unless someones child was directly effecting me by coming to my table etc. I would just ignore it. Kids have bad days just like us. I am more annoyed at rude adults.
ginene
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I don't pay attention either unless they come directly to my table.
WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I normally don't pay attention to what other people's kids are doing either. The only time I have ever had to tell a parent to watch their child was the time I was in McDonalds, and someone's toddler kept coming over to were my kids and I were sitting and started trying to steal my kids french fries.  The mother thought there was nothing wrong with what her kid was doing, until I told her that if her kid kept taking my kids' food, I was that she was going to pay me back for the fries.  Oh well.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

yes, actually, I HAVE had asshole drunks ruin an expensive meal, and that was the case for everyone in our section. we all complained repeatedly about them.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I very rarely notice other people when I am out with my family.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If I am noticing your child, your child is doing something irritating...very, very irritating.  I tune out normal kid noise, laughter, occasional squealing, crying, etc.

Once I was in a restaurant and the kid at the next table (it was a Perkins, the tables were thisclose) actually smacked me a few times and laughed.  Same kid also stuck her head in her salad bowl, getting dressing and lettuce on her hair and then whipped her head back, flinging lettuce and dressing everyone, including on me.  

That was 28 years ago and I'm still remembering it.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN