Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pregnancy complications

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

A lot of the women in my due date group, and around the internet  have a lot of pregnancy complications in my age group. I am 26, and 36w with my second child. I never had a complication with my first, and my second pregnancy is even easier than my first pregnancy. It seems like a lot of the girls in my DDG have had preterm labor and it was stopped, more aches and pains than I have ever had and their OBs push for unnecessary testing and too many ultrasounds thus making them more stressed.  And, the two people who do have midwives (one goes to a birth center and she's already had three ultrasounds), seem to be more complication free and less stressed about pregnancy and birth. I've gained very minimal weight for my height and beginning weight also. Hell, I haven't even got swelling in my hands and feet until this past week. For the record,  I have a trained, licensed and skilled professional homebirth midwife who has been in practice for 16 years. She is listened with NARM and is in excellent standing on the state rosters. She carries equipment to sustain me and baby until we get to the hospital in case of an emergency and carries resuscitation equipment also.

So, with saying this. Do you think women are having harder pregnancies and labor due to practices of their OBs and med-wives or do you think it has something to do with their food type consumption/activity levels?

Am I the only one who notices a lot of women are having more and more complications with pregnancy and birth?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I absolutely believe it is a mixture of the two
rjsmommy214
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Not sure. I had an obgyn and had a very easy pregnancy. No stress, no complications and 2 ultrasounds. I don't believe I had any unnecessary testing either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
truelyred2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
personally I think it is due to a generation of soft self absorbed people who can't handle life and think they are entitled to everything.
JCSmommy2
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM
The complications I had with my son had nothing to do with the Dr. I started with a midwife and then switched to the ob because I didn't really feel she was as knowledgeable. I started swelling at 8 months and at 36 weeks they discovered I had preeclampsia. According to the Dr, they think this happens because its the mothers body's way of reacting to the foreign DNA. They say if you have children with the same father the odds are lower the next pregnancy, because your body will be used to the genetic combo. I had no risk factors for preeclampsia except having a family history of high blood pressure, certain things are just random.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I had two very easy pregnancies and then BAM! the third one was hell. I had an unexplained placental abruption. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
This

Quoting truelyred2:

personally I think it is due to a generation of soft self absorbed people who can't handle life and think they are entitled to everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I am certainly not saying all OBs or midwives/medwives push for unnecessary testing or ultrasounds. I have just noticed a lot of them do or have brought up a lot of unnecessary resting like NST'S at 32w? Like, why if your pregnancy have been "text book"? 

Quoting rjsmommy214:

Not sure. I had an obgyn and had a very easy pregnancy. No stress, no complications and 2 ultrasounds. I don't believe I had any unnecessary testing either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
My last pregnancy was complicated because my baby had a serious condition. I do agree that all of the ultrasounds added a ton of stress.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

instincts are certainly wonderful. I am happy everything worked out, correct?

Quoting JCSmommy2:

The complications I had with my son had nothing to do with the Dr. I started with a midwife and then switched to the ob because I didn't really feel she was as knowledgeable. I started swelling at 8 months and at 36 weeks they discovered I had preeclampsia. According to the Dr, they think this happens because its the mothers body's way of reacting to the foreign DNA. They say if you have children with the same father the odds are lower the next pregnancy, because your body will be used to the genetic combo. I had no risk factors for preeclampsia except having a family history of high blood pressure, certain things are just random.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

That is very scary. Are you and baby OK?

Quoting Anonymous:

I had two very easy pregnancies and then BAM! the third one was hell. I had an unexplained placental abruption. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)