Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

White families often adopt black children

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

But do black families ever adopt white children? 

White families often adopt asian children?

do asains ever adopt white babes?

This was something a group of us were discussing the other day. We came to the conclusion that we've never seen anyone other than white families adopting white babies. But we couldn't come to a solid reason why?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Yes they do

Quoting Anonymous:

Do whites adopt more?

renijazzysmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
My friend is black and they adopted a white baby, but they knew the mother.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Then why do so many who want white infants end up adopting black infants?  I know three couples who did.

Not arguing, just wondering.  ;-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats silly, of course there are. 

Quoting inspain:

As far as I know, no.  But there really aren't as many white children available as black children, right?

honey27
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Some people want to adopt kids that look more like them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babyblue415
by champagne on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This. my kids does too

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

Why not? My boys know all about black culture. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i dont know but i don't like it becuase white people can't fully teach black kids about the black culture.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This may be for a  number of reasons that I don't have the statistics on. 

But from personal experience, I have noticed that whites have a higher rate of infertility than other races.  Adoption is expensive and involves allowing a stranger into every part of your personal life.  Something not a lot of people are comfortable with.  Most people will choose to conceive rather than go through the lengthy process of adoption.  I have know a few white couples who were turned down for adoption of a baby of any race, because the baby would go into daycare after the mother's one year maternity leave.  Doesn't it just seem easier to if you can to conceive your own child or go through IVF.

People of non-European races will most likely choose a child of their own race when adopting for cultural reasons.  If it's much easier to adopt a child of your own race, why would you adopt outside of your own race.

Again, I don't have the statistics on this but are white women more to have an abortion than other races.  Making the percentage of white children in the system for adoption lower than other races.

I'm AA and have often thought about adopting an AA child but one more likely from Haiti or Africa than my country.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Yeah we'd have to go through the foster care. It's a ways off. I have to research, prepare, and make sure my kids are ready and good with it. We understand all the possible issues with it. And we need some time for us. To get some qaulity time together since we've been hit by hard circumstances our whole marriage. And my husband said not until our kids are older anyways. But one day I would like to adopt.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

In my state it costs NOTHING to adopt from foster care.

On that note, be careful. It isn't my wish to discourage foster care or adoption from foster care, but... be careful.

Quoting Anonymous:

I want to adopt one day. The cost is what gets me. I'll take any baby or small child. Not too many behavioral issues or severe disabilities only because we can't give them what they need and we have 3 kids. But i'll take any race.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not really.

If you are willing ot adopt outside of your own race, even with an at birth placement, doors are opened considerably; whereas if you specify "white, good health" you are going to wait possibly years. That, to me, would infer (God, I mean no offense here, so please take none, lol) that there are more children who aren't Caucasian up for adoption (on any level - at birth or foster placements).

Quoting Anonymous:

Adopting an older child from foster care and adopting at birth are completely different things. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

No, there really aren't.

We were pondering adopting a child from foster care at some point.

When I look on my state's website of available children, 90% aren't Caucasian and for those who are Caucasian, about 50% of them are significantly disabled; the other 50% much old (teens) or admitted behavioural problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats silly, of course there are. 

Quoting inspain:

As far as I know, no.  But there really aren't as many white children available as black children, right?

Pnukey
by Jenn on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Quoting hp2011:

I don't know but have you ever see Saving Isaiah?

That movie makes me cry every time I see it.

OP, my white parents adopted a black baby, a white kid, and an asian teenager. Even so, I have no insight as to why.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
So is it better that those children just bounce between foster homes?

Quoting Anonymous:

i dont know but i don't like it becuase white people can't fully teach black kids about the black culture.

Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm AA and my 2 adopted daughters are hispanic/caucasian.... and the little boy we are in the processes of getting placed with us is caucasian. But I think the reason there is a lack of it is because 1) there are more white couples adopting than black couples and 2) most of the time when a black couple adopts the agencies are really eager to place black children with them.

I have wondered why American coupless adopt from other countries... but do couples from other countries ever adopt american children?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)