Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone answer this question??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 158 Replies
I'm getting divorced and my stbx is telling me I need to put the house on the market ASAP (he moved out. I'm a sahm so he's paying bills still) he's telling me ill never have a job good enough to pay for this house and child support won't cover it and he won't have to pay spousal support cuz there's so much marital debt.

When he moved out, he took me off both our joint bank accounts leaving me with nothin for money. He have me $400 on the 1st of April for "child support" for he two boys. After buying groceries, diapers, wipes, and putting gas in the van and paying the Mediacom bill that he won't pay, I've got $32 left for the rest of this month. Nice.

Question is this. (In Iowa if it matters) the "marital debt" is mostly on his target card and American eagle card. Both of which are in HIS name only and he had prior to is being together.

Can I get stuck with that debt? If my name is nowhere on the account or cards? I have no job? (Have been looking with no luck)

I'm signing papers to file tomorrow morning cuz this $400 for "child support" isn't cutting it when he makes $5000+ a month.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
If he is paying all the bills and gives you $400 a month, it seems kind if greedy that you want more money from him. I hope what ever the courts order him to pay that he makes you pay for half the bills with it. Greedy women like you piss me off. Get a job.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this

Did you actually read the OP?

Quoting Anonymous:

If he is paying all the bills and gives you $400 a month, it seems kind if greedy that you want more money from him. I hope what ever the courts order him to pay that he makes you pay for half the bills with it. Greedy women like you piss me off. Get a job.

areyouatroll
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I have no idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
If he can show that some of the items are yours and the kids you might have to help pay. How are you going to support yourself?
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM
8 moms liked this

No he's just blowing smoke out of his ass.  You need a lawyer pronto and file for emergency spousal support.  File for PA (if possible) and start looking for a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Sure did. She is having him pay all the bills, and he is giving her $400. If you added all that she is getting from him paying for her to have a place to live and all the other bills. She seems greedy as hell cause she wants more money. He has to survive also

Quoting LucyMom08:

Did you actually read the OP?

Quoting Anonymous:

toopicky429
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
This all depends on where you live. I'm in Ohio, and when one of my friends got divorced a few years ago they had to split all the debt so both ended up having to file for bankruptcy. She did get spousal support and child support though. Good luck, get a good attorney, and start job hunting ASAP.
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Is "marital debt" debt that was accumulated while still married and before the ink was dry on the divorce decree, even if he acquired the cards prior to marriage?

What type of laws, if any, does Iowa have about community property?

I would contact a divorce lawyer asap and also discuss child support. Include your concerns about the house and other bills because unless you're asking for alimony, there might be some snags and depending on your state laws.

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Is it honestly necessary to reply with venom?

I see where you're coming from but I wouldn't necessarily call the OP "greedy."

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been looking for a job for a year with no luck so far.

I just applied for food assistance and qualified for emergency help and will en getting my card beginning of this week.

I'm meeting with my lawyer tomorrow and am signing papers to start the process I the divorce. Borrowing the money for retainer from my sister

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

No he's just blowing smoke out of his ass.  You need a lawyer pronto and file for emergency spousal support.  File for PA (if possible) and start looking for a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured