Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't laugh... how does the laundry mat work?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 20 Replies

My dryer has been broken for nearly a week now and the landlord has 100000 excuses why he hasn't come yet. It is illegal to hang your clothes outside in town. My knowledge of laundry mats is limited to what I have seen on tv.

Do I really have to guard the machines I'm using? Are people really going to take my stuff out mid-cycle and throw it on the floor? How long does it take to get laundry done? Do they usually have a change machine there?

I use a dryer bar at home... do I need to go buy fabric softener sheets or do they sell them there? Are the machines clean? Ugh, it just sounds so gross :( I keep imagining that some guy just peed his bed and washed his sheets in the machine right before I will use it, lol.

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I've nevet had that experience with them. You should stay around the laundrymat just so you can keep an eye on your stuff. But last time we used one we had to leave to do stuff and our clothes werent messed with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cfcf
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

lol.

Never had my clothes removed, but it probably depends on where you live.  Most have change machines, and dryer sheets, detergents there that you can buy but they are probably more expensive.  I don't go anymore but  I almost wish I did.  You can do all your laundry in the time that it takes to do one load.  The dryers usually dry fast, if they are industrial.  If it's a crummy little dryer it will probably take just as longas at hoe.  Again, depending on the machines you can usually fit a larger load into the machine than what you would do at home.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Yes, thet have change machines and you should plan on staying there while your clothes are drying
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

They will sell dryer sheets there, its usually like 75-cents or something for 1-2 sheets. I would stay and hang out, but depending on your area you won't have to. I've gone with my mom and never saw her stuff get messed with, however my brother lived in a kind of ghetto area and somebody broke a pen and dropped it in to get ink all over his clothes

illinoismommy83

Is it okay to stay after and fold stuff?

Quoting cfcf:

lol.

Never had my clothes removed, but it probably depends on where you live.  Most have change machines, and dryer sheets, detergents there that you can buy but they are probably more expensive.  I don't go anymore but  I almost wish I did.  You can do all your laundry in the time that it takes to do one load.  The dryers usually dry fast, if they are industrial.  If it's a crummy little dryer it will probably take just as longas at hoe.  Again, depending on the machines you can usually fit a larger load into the machine than what you would do at home.

Aislinn

I cannot get passed the "Can't hang clothes out in my town..." lol Odd. Anywho, it depends on your area. Do people generally steal a lot? Usually dryers are pretty quick. Towels should be done in a half hour or so.. As far as being clean, I would check before putting clothes in for markers, crayons, etc, but the heat will kill any germs. 

illinoismommy83

That is so horrible :(

Quoting Idntreallycare:

They will sell dryer sheets there, its usually like 75-cents or something for 1-2 sheets. I would stay and hang out, but depending on your area you won't have to. I've gone with my mom and never saw her stuff get messed with, however my brother lived in a kind of ghetto area and somebody broke a pen and dropped it in to get ink all over his clothes

mommymelissa76
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Typically its .25 for 8 minutes for the dryer here. But they dry fast! Dont treat it like your dryer at home. I normally put them in for 24 minutes and they are dry...like a big load. If they are still damp use one quarter at a time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I remember using them as a kid when our machine broke at home. We sat in the chairs they provided, waited in the building with the clothes, and switched them out immediately once the machine was done. Our dryer was broken eo we washed at home and drive the heavy as hell wet clothes to the laundromat to dry them. It was still cheaper than just washing and drying there, plus it made it easier for my parents to save up the money to replace the broken dryer.

My parents brought dryer sheets with us. We had a hiccup with a washer twice, so had to use the laundromat again those times before dad fixed the machine. We brought our own soap then as well. The building had a vending machine for single serve/size soaps and dryer sheets, nut bringoping our own was cheaper. 

I was blessed enough to be a ble to live at home during my college years so never dealt with them since my childhood.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yes.  There are carts and tables so you can shuttle your clothes to the tables.  I used to bring all my laundry back home and fold while I watched a good movie.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Is it okay to stay after and fold stuff?

Quoting cfcf:

lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN