Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I really don't want an obese kid, but I'm not sure how to stop it from happening.

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 102 Replies
It would really break my heart if my DD ever because obese because of my lack of ability to cook healthy meals for her at home. I've always struggled in the kitchen. I fuckin suck at making recipes. The only things I know how to cook well are the hand full of recipes my mom made week after week. They are good, but not healthy and I've been making them for the past 6+ years. So we eat out night after night. I've gained every pound plus 5 I lost and DD is gaining slowly as well and her recent lack of play worries me. I'm so obese it's not even funny. It cripples me life. I hate not being able to do things DH likes to do because I physically can't. As much as I hate nature, I miss camping and hiking with him. I don't want DDto miss out.

My problem is I don't know my way around a spice rack or how to put things together. I've tried books but they never turn out right or as I thought they would taste. I'm also not really good with things that require a ton of steps or a thousand and one ingredients.

We are all slowly growing bigger but I just dont know what to cook in order to change that. Help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM
3 moms liked this

your best bet would be to google healthy alternatives for what you like to eat and then continue to practice making them until you get the ingredients right.  when i first started making stuff, i wrecked a whole lot of food but i  kept at it and now i don't even have to look at the recipe.  i just made notes as to what worked and what didn't so when i went back to my notes, i tweaked some things and with each try, it just got better.

stop eating out!  with takeout food, you have no idea what is in there so it's hard to control.  start eating more at home and cooking things -- lean meats, healthy fats and healthy carbs.  plenty of fresh fruit/veggies.  make some soups!  studies have shown that having a soup before a meal not  only keeps you full longer but also helps you eat less.   only water during meals (or milk for your kids).

start doing activities outside during the weekend/after school - walks, bike rides, the park etc. 

make sure you eat at the same time every day so that your body gets used to eating at those times.  no late night snacking or junk snacking.  if snacks are required, some raw veggies and hummus is a great snack.  i'm not saying cut out every bad food but don't eat so much of it.  once in a while is ok but until you get your helathy eating on track, try and stay away. 

perfecting recipes takes time and several tries. 

here's a great baked chicken recipe that is a real no-brainer and so healthy:

• 8 chicken legs
  • in large bowl, mix chicken legs with the following:
  • 2/4tsp paprika
  • 1.5tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4tsp black pepper
  • 3/4tsp sea salt
  • if you want some spice, add 1/8tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • make sure all legs are coated well and then bake for 30mins at 450F on a flat baking sheet (cover sheet with foil and then put legs on top of the foil as it gets messy when it baked)

voila!  baked chicken legs that tastes like KFC but healthy!!  this is my go-to recipe when i'm in a hurry to cook. 

with left overs, i tear off the meat and throw it into a spinach/kale/arugula salad with chopped egg whites, tomatoes and 1/2 avocado and take that for lunch to work. YUM!

vvinkyloafer
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to know how to cook to make healthy meals for your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Any time I want a new recipe I just Google it and pick the healthiest option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Excuses, excuses.  You know how to use the internet, you know how to read, there are tons of recipe out there.  Your dh can take dd camping and hiking, what's his excuse for not taking her and helping her be active? 

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ButterMeUp:

It would really break my heart if my DD ever because obese because of my lack of ability to cook healthy meals for her at home. I've always struggled in the kitchen. I fuckin suck at making recipes. The only things I know how to cook well are the hand full of recipes my mom made week after week. They are good, but not healthy and I've been making them for the past 6+ years. So we eat out night after night. I've gained every pound plus 5 I lost and DD is gaining slowly as well and her recent lack of play worries me. I'm so obese it's not even funny. It cripples me life. I hate not being able to do things DH likes to do because I physically can't. As much as I hate nature, I miss camping and hiking with him. I don't want DDto miss out.

My problem is I don't know my way around a spice rack or how to put things together. I've tried books but they never turn out right or as I thought they would taste. I'm also not really good with things that require a ton of steps or a thousand and one ingredients.

We are all slowly growing bigger but I just dont know what to cook in order to change that. Help?

Simple. Get a cook book or 2 or 3. Look up recipies on line. All you havr to do is follow it STEP BY STEP. They walk you thru it. Also what we did becuase i SUCKED at cooking veggies, i got a vegan cook book. But its not all vegan, it gives you tons of recipes to and ways to cook veggies. You want more veggies and less meat in your diet. Limit starches. Also as a family go out walking. Get some bikes and go for evening rides. Get out side and kick a ball around. Heck get some foam swords and beat each other up with them. Make up games. Become active. Cut out sweets. Replace with fruit. Limit soda. I have had to limit myself to 1 can a day. Or i would drink it all day long. Dotn buy the snack foods. When you get a craving for soemthing sweet, make a fruit smoothie and add in some veggies. Its seems like its hard, but really its not when you just put your mind to it and do it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Look at food blogs. They usually have illustrated step by step pictures. Ultimately though, you have to take control here or your daughter will be obese and that's not good for anyone.

Wheepingchree
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Some healthy meals that I cook: stir fry (any protein - chicken, lean read meat, pork, shrimp; fresh/frozen veggies - broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, green beans, cabbage, kale; mix 1/4c low sodium soy sauce, 1/4c vegetable oil, 2 tspn sesame oil, if you want some spice, a couple shakes of red pepper flakes. Start with the meat in a HOT, slightly oiled pan, cook til no longer pink. Remove from pan, add veggies and cook for about 5 minutes. Return protein and add sauce. Toss to combine and serve over brown rice.
Will post more
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Go on Ebay or go to a used book store, and get an old fashioned cook book.  They tell you every ingredient and how to measure it out.  Did you not take home ec in high school?  Stop with the eating out, start with ready-made salads and low-fat (or balsamic vinegrette) salad dressings (there should not be a puddle in your bowl when you're done...only one tablespoon of dressing!), steam your veggies like broccoli, green beans, carrots (go easy on the carrots...lots of carbs!), and grill your meats.  Easy!

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Just replacing soda and juice with water will cut the pounds dramatically if you drink a lot of it.  Don't buy junk food, and don't eat out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Take a cooking class or look online. Educate yourself its easy to cook. Your child most likely will be obese if their eating habits continue. Its your job to teach them to eat. Besides you dont have to cook fruit some veggies. Smoothies too. So many healthy snacks and foods are out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)