Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I am going to try to get us back on schedule. No way i am paying to send him to a daycare while am at home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like he needs discipline........no, not spanking.

He needs some structure and routine.

Start small with a private Pre K over the summer. Some of the daycares have programs like that.

He'll love it.

Don't beat yourself up over it.

I don't have the patience to home school either. Good luck, mama.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
6 moms liked this

tell him you're going to try something new. play a phonics scavenger hunt. have him find a certain number of things in the house that start with the sound made by the letter on a card you hand him. 

there are leapfrog videos on Netflix that can help with this. 

play simple board games to teach him one to one correspondence. google preschool and K learning games. there are more palatable ways to present the information he needs to learn. go to the library and find books he's interested in to read together. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would put him to to public school. It can be very hard sometimes to teach your own children. I know mine do better when taught by someone else. You can suppliment what they learn in school in fun ways. That is what I have done with my older two and am doing with my youngest

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM
13 moms liked this
#1 don't post this in here unless you want a bunch of assholes telling you how wrong homeschooling is.

#2 Do post this in Happy Homeschoolers.

#3 Buy the kid a joke book and practice with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It's just for a couple of hours to get him socialized, and learn that he's not the boss.

No offence, but I don't think you're capable of the kind of structure and guidance he needs.

He knows you're a push-over.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am going to try to get us back on schedule. No way i am paying to send him to a daycare while am at home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Start small with a private Pre K over the summer. Some of the daycares have programs like that.

He'll love it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
We have the letter factor movie and he loved watching it for a while but now he doesnt like it. We watch some youtube movies together with phonics. My younger girls love them but not my son. I wil keepbsearching for more.
I think he would love the scavenger hunt idea. He loves searchs of any kind.

Quoting autodidact:

tell him you're going to try something new. play a phonics scavenger hunt. have him find a certain number of things in the house that start with the sound made by the letter on a card you hand him. 

there are leapfrog videos on Netflix that can help with this. 

play simple board games to teach him one to one correspondence. google preschool and K learning games. there are more palatable ways to present the information he needs to learn. go to the library and find books he's interested in to read together. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM
He is well socualized. He knows he isnt the boss. This is the only thing i have trouble with him. He is a great kid and well behaved any other time.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just for a couple of hours to get him socialized, and learn that he's not the boss.

No offence, but I don't think you're capable of the kind of structure and guidance he needs.

He knows you're a push-over.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

He'll love it.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
5 moms liked this

There are so many ways to homeschool. Just because the technique you are using doesn't work with him doesn't mean none of them will. Sitting at a desk and doing the same thing public schools do is not best for some kids.  Go to the library and get some homeschooling books that talk about the why and how. You can teach him the same way you did when he was little.You taught him to walk and talk and get dressed and....so you ARE a teacher.  Talk and play and go visit parks and museums and concerts.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM
5 moms liked this

To each there own. I pushed my kids to always do well in school and to push them . They are now in the first grade doing 4th grade work and one in 3rd grade doing 5th grade work. They explore everything more then most kids because they are able to think inside and outside of the box. I never forced my kids to do anything I just encuraged my kids to succeed. Plus I was a SAHM so I had nothing to do but teach my kids and insure that they were more then ready to start school at 5.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

Love me or hate me there is no in between. I'm only me and that's all I will ever be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM
We go to kids science meseums all the time and he is advance in science for his age. He uderstand tons. Math he may not know the number but he understand concepts about math.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

There are so many ways to homeschool. Just because the technique you are using doesn't work with him doesn't mean none of them will. Sitting at a desk and doing the same thing public schools do is not best for some kids.  Go to the library and get some homeschooling books that talk about the why and how. You can teach him the same way you did when he was little.You taught him to walk and talk and get dressed and....so you ARE a teacher.  Talk and play and go visit parks and museums and concerts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN