Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (291-300):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I kind of know what you're up against. I wasn't comfortable sending my 5 year old off to a school full of people I don't know, to be cared for and taught by people I don't know. Well, I'm not going to list all the reasons why I chose to homeschool. It has been more challenging than I ever imagined, it's almost like I have to unlearn things in order to teach him. I had no idea what I was doing so I decided to do a k12 virtual academy. I have heard that some families don't have the best experiences with these programs but it has been great for us. The curriculum is there already, everything is tailored for my son. I can easily use my discretion if he is struggling or if he already knows something. We have an online class every week where his teacher and the other students all participate. His teacher is always there to help. We have a conference every month, he has participated in some state testing already. We have the flexibility we need, but the curriculum and structure is there to keep him on track. It took a while to get it right, and it is still hard every day not to just give up and let someone else deal with it.... but I love being there to see him figure out subtraction, and the excitement when he read his first word, first sentence, first story and first book.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM
bump
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM
Every class has a class clown. Every kid gets in trouble once or twice throughout their school years, its part of being a kid. Don't use him being a class clown as an excuse not to send him! Hell learn quickly he can't behave that way because hell be sent to wherever it is they send kids his age when they're not behaving. Not like it'll go on his record cuz he's so young. I was a class clown and I graduated with a 3.4 GPA a year early in 11th and I went to private k-7 then public highschool 8&9 then online school 10&11 and graduated early online

Quoting Anonymous:

I think he will get in lots of trouble in public school for being a class clown. He is a great kids but if kids laugh at something he is doing he will keep doing it. He is the biggest goof off in the in the world. He is always playing jokes. He is also so super smart and creative and inventive. If i could just making learnig letters and reading more funny so he would want to do it.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I went through the same thing with my son. I still am in some ways. We just keep working through it. Some days are really good and some days are bad but he's learning the material because I test him to make sure.

Only you really know if he would be better off in public school. Some kids are, but some kids thrive with homeschooling. Just find what works for you no matter what that is.

tinamorgan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:26 AM
That's great for your children. The OP stated that she feels like she is failing her son. I gave my honest opinion and agreed that I felt the same way. This child is 6 years old and can not recognize all the letters in the alphabet. I'm sorry, but that is a big fail!
There are plenty of studies that link early literacy to future success.
And Finally, not everyone is equipped to teach. This is why teachers hold masters degrees and go through years of study. If she is having a tough time with ABCs, what will happen when it comes time for hs level calculus?
tinamorgan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:38 AM
http://lincs.ed.gov/publications/pdf/EL_policy09.pdf

Here is one link to the importance of early literacy.
To all those telling her she should not have posted b/c of rude comments, she is getting honesty. If you want rainbows and butterflies and for people to tell you what you want to hear, why post??
beachbeauty
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I think you're giving up too quickly.  Kids learn at different paces.  If you keep reading to him and exposing him to it he will learn it.  Try different methods to teach him, make learning fun.  Use play to teach him, get fun learning dvds.  Let him make his letters by gluing macaroni to paper or making his letters with his fingers in pudding.  Try playing games with sight words, I've seen a few good ones on pinterest (we're out of that stage so I can't think of any specific ones).

One of my children ENDED his kindergarten year not kowing the sounds of letters or being able to recognize half of them.  By the middle of first grade he was reading at grade level. He simply wasn't ready yet before that.  This same child also couldn't add correctly on timed tests, the teacher thought he wasn't trying and kept bribing him.  The following year I homeschooled him and had to completely reteach him because he didn't know how to add, he's a visual and tactile learner and wasn't understanding the way they taught it, I got a tactile curriculum and he picked it right up.  That's the advantage of homesschooling, you can teach to how your son learns. 

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM
I haven't read the rest of the replies, so someone may have already said this. Don't worry too much about everyone else! My son was like that. He didn't want to read, write, or anything that required practice. Two years later he is reading and writing above what the state says he should be. Every child learns at his or her own pace. Check out the homeschooling moms group here, if you haven't. They have a ton of advice to get you through the rough patches.
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Yeah but you are worse then a bad school system. Sometimes a bad school system is labeled bad for different reasons then you think. You can get great teachers even in a school system that is not doing well. Only knows the ounds of 19 letters? My dd is 5.5 in kindergarten and reading level 1 and 2 independent readers fairly well. That is average at the end of k.

Sometimes a bad school system is not doing well because a lot of students are poor who don't have involved parents.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know how important education is thats why i wanted to home school our public schools are terrible. We cant afford private.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would out him in public school. Or private if you can afford it. I know you think you're helping him but education is important and homeschooling doesn't work for everyone.

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Ps. Put him n school now. He will probably need early intervention to catch up.

Fwiw, I could not homeschool. My children would fight me also. They are good kids but we power struggle on silly things.
Webb07
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Okay, First off don't put him back in public School :) Please don't listen to people that post views that have never home-schooled before. Check your local school district. Most states think that 6 is still to young to start kindergarten. They still accept them at 5 and 6 but most of the time they make the kids repeat kindergarten again the following year. Working with a school district that was high on education, we still saw a high repeat rate because the kids wanted to be home with their mom's:( Instead of learning far away from home. I have Five kids, each one of them home-schools different.  Always remember every child learns differently, you just need to find what works. And you are not a failure!!!! You are asking for help, that makes you one Awesome mom in almost all homeschooling mom's books:)  We moved years ago to another state and I pulled my children from public school after we removed them from three different schools within a year because the schools were either unsafe and or the lacked education. My daughter who is eight, is an independent go getter with homeschooling. My Son who is six begs to get online and learn but because he is six he gets tired fast and lets face it likes to play with friends:)  Some days he says school is boring so I take school somewhere else. Like the Library or the Zoo. Sometimes we just go outside to the yard.  Home-school allows you to school the way that works for your child! Baking can be fractions. Grocery shopping can be letters, or sight words...the list goes on and on. If cost is an issue, look for free days at the Zoo or Children Museum, also the library has reading groups each week and crafts normally once a month.  My ten year old son....is my toughest. I will tell you I have thought about putting him back in everyday. But, his education will suffer and like your son....he would be a class clown:) So, advice....NO K-12! I tried that with all mine and it only worked for my younger two. My oldest was way bored and it makes them sit at the table, staring at a computer for 6 hours straight! Also they have meetings with an actual teacher, some are good while others don't real want to teach they just want a paycheck which is frustrating. The benefit is that the state pays for all of your supply's. A written Curriculum is good because you can take it anywhere. However it is really expensive each year, well for us it would be like 3k each year (yikes!) I would suggest checking out Time4Learning.com. It's priced really well and has been amazing for us. It's fun and educational, it changes things up a lot. Which is good for kids that have a hard time or get bored easily. It is primarily online but it gives the children printouts to do offline on the lesson they learned that day. We add our own things to it, just to reinforce what they learned. Like for our Kindergartner, we go to education.com and get game ideas and print outs for writing practice, shapes and sight-words. You can try it for a month and see if you like and cancel it if you don't.  Just please don't give up! It's hard being a mom and being a homeschooling mom is a bit harder but someday he is going to surprise you with what he knows! Last year I cried almost everyday because I thought I was failing my kids (using my own curriculum)....then they took a state test and they all had high scores. We received a letter that they were "gifted and talent" because only 1% of the state was smarter then them. Yep...all that crying for apparently nothing right? Wrong....because good mom's worry and stress! They do that because they love there kids and want the best for there kids....YOU ARE A GOOD MOM!!! Hope this helps, Take care and don't give up...find your niche:) And just to let you know, you will always second guess how you are doing and there will be bad and good days like others previously said...try to enjoy this time with your son and Good Luck:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN