Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (301-310):
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
WHAT?! That is simply a LIE. most educators DO NOT agree that even 6 year olds are too young for kindergarten. And most kids DO NOT repeat Kindergarten. Talk about promoting your own agenda! I am NOT against homeschooling by any stretch of the imagination. But not all parent or kids are made for being schooled at home. In this case, her child is WAY behind because they are not organized and able to maintain a schedule and routine where her child will participate, and her curriculum is not organized and up to speed. 6 year olds learning mostly on computers is not effective either. It's not healthy.

Either she is ineffective at homeschooling or he may have learning issues. 6.5 and only knowing 19 letter sounds would indicate there may end up being a literacy problem.

Quoting Webb07:

Okay, First off don't put him back in public School :) Please don't listen to people that post views that have never home-schooled before. Check your local school district. Most states think that 6 is still to young to start kindergarten. They still accept them at 5 and 6 but most of the time they make the kids repeat kindergarten again the following year. Working with a school district that was high on education, we still saw a high repeat rate because the kids wanted to be home with their mom's:( Instead of learning far away from home. I have Five kids, each one of them home-schools different.  Always remember every child learns differently, you just need to find what works. And you are not a failure!!!! You are asking for help, that makes you one Awesome mom in almost all homeschooling mom's books:)  We moved years ago to another state and I pulled my children from public school after we removed them from three different schools within a year because the schools were either unsafe and or the lacked education. My daughter who is eight, is an independent go getter with homeschooling. My Son who is six begs to get online and learn but because he is six he gets tired fast and lets face it likes to play with friends:)  Some days he says school is boring so I take school somewhere else. Like the Library or the Zoo. Sometimes we just go outside to the yard.  Home-school allows you to school the way that works for your child! Baking can be fractions. Grocery shopping can be letters, or sight words...the list goes on and on. If cost is an issue, look for free days at the Zoo or Children Museum, also the library has reading groups each week and crafts normally once a month.  My ten year old son....is my toughest. I will tell you I have thought about putting him back in everyday. But, his education will suffer and like your son....he would be a class clown:) So, advice....NO K-12! I tried that with all mine and it only worked for my younger two. My oldest was way bored and it makes them sit at the table, staring at a computer for 6 hours straight! Also they have meetings with an actual teacher, some are good while others don't real want to teach they just want a paycheck which is frustrating. The benefit is that the state pays for all of your supply's. A written Curriculum is good because you can take it anywhere. However it is really expensive each year, well for us it would be like 3k each year (yikes!) I would suggest checking out Time4Learning.com. It's priced really well and has been amazing for us. It's fun and educational, it changes things up a lot. Which is good for kids that have a hard time or get bored easily. It is primarily online but it gives the children printouts to do offline on the lesson they learned that day. We add our own things to it, just to reinforce what they learned. Like for our Kindergartner, we go to education.com and get game ideas and print outs for writing practice, shapes and sight-words. You can try it for a month and see if you like and cancel it if you don't.  Just please don't give up! It's hard being a mom and being a homeschooling mom is a bit harder but someday he is going to surprise you with what he knows! Last year I cried almost everyday because I thought I was failing my kids (using my own curriculum)....then they took a state test and they all had high scores. We received a letter that they were "gifted and talent" because only 1% of the state was smarter then them. Yep...all that crying for apparently nothing right? Wrong....because good mom's worry and stress! They do that because they love there kids and want the best for there kids....YOU ARE A GOOD MOM!!! Hope this helps, Take care and don't give up...find your niche:) And just to let you know, you will always second guess how you are doing and there will be bad and good days like others previously said...try to enjoy this time with your son and Good Luck:)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
And by the way.. Grocery shopping and museums offer opportunities for learning, sure, any situation can offer a chance to learn. I do that with my DD in addition to school. But past the younger years, that's just play. They sit in front of computers for 6 hours a day at school? BS. a majority of the homeschoolers I know personally and see on this board rely heavily on online homeschool programs. They need it to test progress and whether kids are meeting the standards set forth by the state, which they still have to meet. most public schools they break up the days with different activities and subjects. As sucky as it is, part of learning includes memorization of facts. That's life.

Quoting Lottie925:WHAT?! That is simply a LIE. most educators DO NOT agree that even 6 year olds are too young for kindergarten. And most kids DO NOT repeat Kindergarten. Talk about promoting your own agenda! I am NOT against homeschooling by any stretch of the imagination. But not all parent or kids are made for being schooled at home. In this case, her child is WAY behind because they are not organized and able to maintain a schedule and routine where her child will participate, and her curriculum is not organized and up to speed. 6 year olds learning mostly on computers is not effective either. It's not healthy.

Either she is ineffective at homeschooling or he may have learning issues. 6.5 and only knowing 19 letter sounds would indicate there may end up being a literacy problem.

Quoting Webb07:Okay, First off don't put him back in public School :) Please don't listen to people that post views that have never home-schooled before. Check your local school district. Most states think that 6 is still to young to start kindergarten. They still accept them at 5 and 6 but most of the time they make the kids repeat kindergarten again the following year. Working with a school district that was high on education, we still saw a high repeat rate because the kids wanted to be home with their mom's:( Instead of learning far away from home. I have Five kids, each one of them home-schools different.  Always remember every child learns differently, you just need to find what works. And you are not a failure!!!! You are asking for help, that makes you one Awesome mom in almost all homeschooling mom's books:)  We moved years ago to another state and I pulled my children from public school after we removed them from three different schools within a year because the schools were either unsafe and or the lacked education. My daughter who is eight, is an independent go getter with homeschooling. My Son who is six begs to get online and learn but because he is six he gets tired fast and lets face it likes to play with friends:)  Some days he says school is boring so I take school somewhere else. Like the Library or the Zoo. Sometimes we just go outside to the yard.  Home-school allows you to school the way that works for your child! Baking can be fractions. Grocery shopping can be letters, or sight words...the list goes on and on. If cost is an issue, look for free days at the Zoo or Children Museum, also the library has reading groups each week and crafts normally once a month.  My ten year old son....is my toughest. I will tell you I have thought about putting him back in everyday. But, his education will suffer and like your son....he would be a class clown:) So, advice....NO K-12! I tried that with all mine and it only worked for my younger two. My oldest was way bored and it makes them sit at the table, staring at a computer for 6 hours straight! Also they have meetings with an actual teacher, some are good while others don't real want to teach they just want a paycheck which is frustrating. The benefit is that the state pays for all of your supply's. A written Curriculum is good because you can take it anywhere. However it is really expensive each year, well for us it would be like 3k each year (yikes!) I would suggest checking out Time4Learning.com. It's priced really well and has been amazing for us. It's fun and educational, it changes things up a lot. Which is good for kids that have a hard time or get bored easily. It is primarily online but it gives the children printouts to do offline on the lesson they learned that day. We add our own things to it, just to reinforce what they learned. Like for our Kindergartner, we go to education.com and get game ideas and print outs for writing practice, shapes and sight-words. You can try it for a month and see if you like and cancel it if you don't.  Just please don't give up! It's hard being a mom and being a homeschooling mom is a bit harder but someday he is going to surprise you with what he knows! Last year I cried almost everyday because I thought I was failing my kids (using my own curriculum)....then they took a state test and they all had high scores. We received a letter that they were "gifted and talent" because only 1% of the state was smarter then them. Yep...all that crying for apparently nothing right? Wrong....because good mom's worry and stress! They do that because they love there kids and want the best for there kids....YOU ARE A GOOD MOM!!! Hope this helps, Take care and don't give up...find your niche:) And just to let you know, you will always second guess how you are doing and there will be bad and good days like others previously said...try to enjoy this time with your son and Good Luck:)

Webb07
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You are a very angry person Lottie:( If you want someone to listen to you, don't yell and become irrational! And I never said I home-school primarily online! As I said we incorporate a lot of different types of written curriculum in our home because that's what works for us. My kids spend maximum 1-2 hours online and the rest is offline learning like in a classroom. And then it's off to whatever activity they are scheduled for whether it's sports, dance or club meeting's. Most home-school's belong to a homeschooling groups that meets regularly. And what I stated is true about Kindergartner's....I am sorry if you disagree. Everyone's is entitled to their own opinion, I expressed mine with no agenda. I don't own anything I suggested. But I do think it's wrong that most people on here attacked her for home-schooling instead of helping her.

And taking them outside, is what most schools do now days. It's an effective way to teach children. Clearly you don't work with children or at  a school. Most schools, have one field trip a week. When we were kids it was an end of year thing. However, They realized how much more kids learn when they tie what they are learning in the classroom with something the can do hands on or physically see in the community.

I am glad you are pro-public school. I am sure it works for your family. However, just like your views on home-schooling...public doesn't work for everyone as well.

Have a nice day:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Lol @ literacy problems. I can just imagine what you would have said to my mom! I didn't learn how to read until 8 years old. I wasn't ready and no interest until then to learn. People criticized her too. I am so grateful to my mom for letting me decide when to learn! It was the best thing she could have done for me. By age 11, I was reading books like Ben Hur, Robinson Crusoe, A Tale of Two Cities, and many others. I couldn't read enough! She gave me the best gift in the world - a love of reading.

Quoting Lottie925:

WHAT?! That is simply a LIE. most educators DO NOT agree that even 6 year olds are too young for kindergarten. And most kids DO NOT repeat Kindergarten. Talk about promoting your own agenda! I am NOT against homeschooling by any stretch of the imagination. But not all parent or kids are made for being schooled at home. In this case, her child is WAY behind because they are not organized and able to maintain a schedule and routine where her child will participate, and her curriculum is not organized and up to speed. 6 year olds learning mostly on computers is not effective either. It's not healthy.

Quoting Webb07:

Okay, First off don't put him back in public School :) Please don't listen to people that post views that have never home-schooled before. Check your local school district. Most states think that 6 is still to young to start kindergarten. They still accept them at 5 and 6 but most of the time they make the kids repeat kindergarten again the following year. Working with a school district that was high on education, we still saw a high repeat rate because the kids wanted to be home with their mom's:( Instead of learning far away from home. I have Five kids, each one of them home-schools different.  Always remember every child learns differently, you just need to find what works. And you are not a failure!!!! You are asking for help, that makes you one Awesome mom in almost all homeschooling mom's books:)  We moved years ago to another state and I pulled my children from public school after we removed them from three different schools within a year because the schools were either unsafe and or the lacked education. My daughter who is eight, is an independent go getter with homeschooling. My Son who is six begs to get online and learn but because he is six he gets tired fast and lets face it likes to play with friends:)  Some days he says school is boring so I take school somewhere else. Like the Library or the Zoo. Sometimes we just go outside to the yard.  Home-school allows you to school the way that works for your child! Baking can be fractions. Grocery shopping can be letters, or sight words...the list goes on and on. If cost is an issue, look for free days at the Zoo or Children Museum, also the library has reading groups each week and crafts normally once a month.  My ten year old son....is my toughest. I will tell you I have thought about putting him back in everyday. But, his education will suffer and like your son....he would be a class clown:) So, advice....NO K-12! I tried that with all mine and it only worked for my younger two. My oldest was way bored and it makes them sit at the table, staring at a computer for 6 hours straight! Also they have meetings with an actual teacher, some are good while others don't real want to teach they just want a paycheck which is frustrating. The benefit is that the state pays for all of your supply's. A written Curriculum is good because you can take it anywhere. However it is really expensive each year, well for us it would be like 3k each year (yikes!) I would suggest checking out Time4Learning.com. It's priced really well and has been amazing for us. It's fun and educational, it changes things up a lot. Which is good for kids that have a hard time or get bored easily. It is primarily online but it gives the children printouts to do offline on the lesson they learned that day. We add our own things to it, just to reinforce what they learned. Like for our Kindergartner, we go to education.com and get game ideas and print outs for writing practice, shapes and sight-words. You can try it for a month and see if you like and cancel it if you don't.  Just please don't give up! It's hard being a mom and being a homeschooling mom is a bit harder but someday he is going to surprise you with what he knows! Last year I cried almost everyday because I thought I was failing my kids (using my own curriculum)....then they took a state test and they all had high scores. We received a letter that they were "gifted and talent" because only 1% of the state was smarter then them. Yep...all that crying for apparently nothing right? Wrong....because good mom's worry and stress! They do that because they love there kids and want the best for there kids....YOU ARE A GOOD MOM!!! Hope this helps, Take care and don't give up...find your niche:) And just to let you know, you will always second guess how you are doing and there will be bad and good days like others previously said...try to enjoy this time with your son and Good Luck:)

Madameileen
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Good for you for homeschooling.  I'm homeschooling a son just like that.  I figure he'll read when he is ready to.  But I expose him to Nova episodes, we play.  Keep it all play.  Try not to be a teacher.  He learns the planets, that butterflies hatch from eggs. Just read to him.  Your child can't not learn when it's all around him.  Don't ask anything from him. Take  a walk, use a map.  Couriosity will kickin and he will want to know what is on the map....eventurally.

There are some great communities at Google+ called  Science Sparks & EveryDay Fun For Kids & The P.L.A.Y group's play & Green Kids that give me great ideas everyweek to do and play with my son that encourages learning in a fun way.  We've made our own homemade paper, played with vinegar & baking soda, experimented with shaving cream.

Free online reading tools I use are turtlediaries & starfall.com

AdvocareMomma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I too am starting homeschooling. I have some fears on the same resistance, but I think having a pre game talk and have incentive for so etching he would like to do after you finish, that might help! 

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol at your lol. Ha ha ha, her child is not even close to his peers in ability to even recognize letter sounds... Oh I'm rofl at the fact that she has kept him home to give him a "better education" and he would be failing kindergarten at age 6 if he went into that terrible school system. Isn't it a hoot that he "chooses" that he doesn't want to learn. A real laugh riot.

Eye roll at Ben Hur at age 11. And eye roll at the idea that if your child can read at age 5 or 6 that they won't love reading. My DD loves to read as well. Begs to go to the library on. Regular basis to refill her library bag with new books. I read her longer books and she reads easier books herself. She can read independently, and reads books to her brother as well.

If you can't read independently at 6, that's fine, but if you can't recognize the letter sounds at 6? That's a red flag.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol @ literacy problems. I can just imagine what you would have said to my mom! I didn't learn how to read until 8 years old. I wasn't ready and no interest until then to learn. People criticized her too. I am so grateful to my mom for letting me decide when to learn! It was the best thing she could have done for me. By age 11, I was reading books like Ben Hur, Robinson Crusoe, A Tale of Two Cities, and many others. I couldn't read enough! She gave me the best gift in the world - a love of reading.

Quoting Lottie925:

Quoting Webb07:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
You completely misunderstood my post.

Let me clarify.

I am not saying that a child who learns how to read early will hate reading. I am saying a child pushed into reading when s/he is not yet ready could learn to hate reading. There is a huge difference! My son learned at age 2 and loves to read BUT he learned at his own pace, when he was ready. I didn't learn until age 8, at my own pace, when I was ready. Not every child is ready at age 5 or 6. Some need more time while others pick up on it quickly. Does this mean they are 'behind' or 'ahead'? If a child is not ready at age 6, does this mean that the child will never learn or will always be 'behind' his peers? Of course not. It means, quite simply, the child is not yet ready to learn that particular concept.

Quoting Lottie925:

Lol at your lol. Ha ha ha, her child is not even close to his peers in ability to even recognize letter sounds... Oh I'm rofl at the fact that she has kept him home to give him a "better education" and he would be failing kindergarten at age 6 if he went into that terrible school system. Isn't it a hoot that he "chooses" that he doesn't want to learn. A real laugh riot.

Eye roll at Ben Hur at age 11. And eye roll at the idea that if your child can read at age 5 or 6 that they won't love reading. My DD loves to read as well. Begs to go to the library on. Regular basis to refill her library bag with new books. I read her longer books and she reads easier books herself. She can read independently, and reads books to her brother as well.

If you can't read independently at 6, that's fine, but if you can't recognize the letter sounds at 6? That's a red flag.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lottie925:

Quoting Webb07:

kikikats
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I started a reply and it disappeared! Lol there's a huge fight going on here:( m not going to address or read it. First, I agree that anyone who hasn't home schooled shouldn't be the opinions you seek. That being said, arm yourself with information. Cathy Duff's Top 100 Picks is a great start. It can help you set homeschooling goals and learn what your son's learning style is. The Ultimate Guide to Homeschool is a very good look at the reality of homeschooling. It's informative and a fun read. Also, look for a co op. they are a great way to get him interested and see other kids doing something similar to what you are. If you Facebook check out Practical Homeschooling's page. A lot of good advice there. If you can, check out a convention in your area. Most important, don't give up. If it were easy every one would do it. If you feel this is the best choice for you and your family do it. And keep going. It's not unusual for boys to read later than girls and to be more interested in hands on activities. There is no race. He doesn't have to keep pace with anyone but himself. That's the blessing of homeschool. Many kids in ps struggle and get left behind either in ability or grade. That's not what homeschooling is about. ((HUGS)). There's a nice board on babycenter.com for homeschoolers. Again slot of good advice. If you check it out you can friend me or pm me. I'm Kikikats on there too.

Quoting Anonymous:

You completely misunderstood my post.

Let me clarify.

I am not saying that a child who learns how to read early will hate reading. I am saying a child pushed into reading when s/he is not yet ready could learn to hate reading. There is a huge difference! My son learned at age 2 and loves to read BUT he learned at his own pace, when he was ready. I didn't learn until age 8, at my own pace, when I was ready. Not every child is ready at age 5 or 6. Some need more time while others pick up on it quickly. Does this mean they are 'behind' or 'ahead'? If a child is not ready at age 6, does this mean that the child will never learn or will always be 'behind' his peers? Of course not. It means, quite simply, the child is not yet ready to learn that particular concept.

Quoting Lottie925:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lottie925:

Quoting Webb07:

kikikats
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Yikes I quoted the wrong post. Sorry ladies. I'm on my phone and on a road trip ( I'm not the driver at the moment) so I thought I was quoting the op! Oops
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)