Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (331-340):
autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

here's a wonderful blog with tons of great ideas for learning. 

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

artistic_kitty
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I know you may not love the public school system but home schooling isn't right for everyone. I've seen both the positive and negative side of home schooling. (Kids who do their work and go on to get college degrees and full time jobs. And the kids who rushed through their school work so they could goof off and play video games. Who are now working minimum wage jobs with no real ambition.) Some kids just learn better from someone other than mom or dad. I know it's true with my son. I just can't seem to get him to focus on school type activites like his teachers can. And that's ok. It's good for him to learn to respect others. So this way he learns the basic concepts at school and we just try to practice and expand on the ideas at home.

sparrow1138
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

All mine were reading books by age 6- reading before kindergarden.   The earliest was my  son, started reading at 2 1/2- he is gifted.  Not bragging- just pointing out that it is never too early to start reading.   I could never homeschool any of mine even if I wanted to.  They do SO much better in the school environment with an adult that is not their parent. 

writing without tears is a great program. 

momof4loves4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I don't need to read what you tell me to. I have 4 kids and do quite fine by the way I teach my kids. My kids are amazingly smart and excel at many many things. What people need to understand is all kids are different. What works for one may not work for another but reading one article proves nothing to me. Watching the development with my own 2 eyes does.

Quoting amazzonia:

http://www.waldorfinthehome.org/2008/02/teaching_reading_writing_and_s.html read this

Quoting momof4loves4:

Wherever you got that thought, I don't know. It's bad for their brain?? Their brain is forming those first 5 years and their brains are at the most sponge-like time! They soak up information and when they want to know about things, they want to know everything. Good thing my kids enjoy learning and if I was wrong with my method, my children wouldn't be straight A students who thrive in so many ways at school and out of school. And the shoe tieing goes in with thinking skills and coordination. Yeah I see crappy velcrow sneakers. But after age 5 that's just taking the easy way out. The babble you speak just does not make any sense. I don't know how old your kids are, or if you have ever sat through a kindergarten orientation, but the things I spoke of are standard things they check and work on further in kindergarten. It's no wonder so many kids can't pronounce words correctly even by age 10. It's reenforcement!! Let the teachers do their part, and as a parent I do my part to teach them as well. Not all kids are dyslexic. That is a hereditary trait you know. SMFH.

Quoting amazzonia:

Is not good for the development of their brain learning to read early, because they memorize letters and sounds instead of interpreting a word, which brings to all kind of problems like dislexia. After the age of 7 and later for others the brain is properly develop so the can start interpreting a word instead of repeating sounds, and doing like this reading becomes an enjoyable thing instead of an obligation. 

And why should they know how to tie their shoes at 5? Did you ever see shoes with straps? Lol 

Quoting momof4loves4:

It's not rushing. If you believe that then you may want to stay far away from private and most public schools. I always do some pre K work and school time structure with my kids instead of sending them to pre school and that's just it, u need to get creative like they do at school with behavior charts and prizes at the end if the week if they were good all week or get so many star stickers, however you do it. Schools do this too. Every class has class clowns and teachers are so used to dealing with that, especially since they aren't mom. Your son could very well just be plain old bored. School has so many added benefits and programs where your son would learn everything he should know on time by either getting extra help bc he's having trouble, or he's too bored and needs extra stimulation to keep him wanting to stay on track. It's a lot harder to get over on a school full of professionals than just mom. Schools teach SO MUCH these days!! I am greatful for my district being a great one because I thought one of my children would never take things seriously and here she is, now in 3rd grade and keeps straight As with a 4.0 GPA. Same grades as my always known brainiac since she was 12 months and speaking in sentences. Before a child enters Kindergarten they should know the alphabet and be able to spell their name, know their address, tie their shoes, all sorts of things. My son is recently turned 5, will go to school for K in the fall and by the time K is over, he will know all sorts of math, money, how to PROPERLY write all his letters (he can write them now, they just aren't school perfect yet), be able to read certain things, know how to spell certain words (spelling), etc. they have hw every night in K here. Good luck but in my opinion, would it hurt to have him do a year at the school to see how it works out? People will work with you if any issues arise. You don't want him to miss out. They teach a LOT more nowadays. They are trained professionals. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof4loves4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't need to read what you tell me to. I have 4 kids and do quite fine by the way I teach my kids. My kids are amazingly smart and excel at many many things. What people need to understand is all kids are different. What works for one may not work for another but reading one article proves nothing to me. Watching the development with my own 2 eyes does.

Quoting amazzonia:

http://www.waldorfinthehome.org/2008/02/teaching_reading_writing_and_s.html read this

Quoting momof4loves4:

Wherever you got that thought, I don't know. It's bad for their brain?? Their brain is forming those first 5 years and their brains are at the most sponge-like time! They soak up information and when they want to know about things, they want to know everything. Good thing my kids enjoy learning and if I was wrong with my method, my children wouldn't be straight A students who thrive in so many ways at school and out of school. And the shoe tieing goes in with thinking skills and coordination. Yeah I see crappy velcrow sneakers. But after age 5 that's just taking the easy way out. The babble you speak just does not make any sense. I don't know how old your kids are, or if you have ever sat through a kindergarten orientation, but the things I spoke of are standard things they check and work on further in kindergarten. It's no wonder so many kids can't pronounce words correctly even by age 10. It's reenforcement!! Let the teachers do their part, and as a parent I do my part to teach them as well. Not all kids are dyslexic. That is a hereditary trait you know. SMFH.

Quoting amazzonia:

Is not good for the development of their brain learning to read early, because they memorize letters and sounds instead of interpreting a word, which brings to all kind of problems like dislexia. After the age of 7 and later for others the brain is properly develop so the can start interpreting a word instead of repeating sounds, and doing like this reading becomes an enjoyable thing instead of an obligation. 

And why should they know how to tie their shoes at 5? Did you ever see shoes with straps? Lol 

Quoting momof4loves4:

It's not rushing. If you believe that then you may want to stay far away from private and most public schools. I always do some pre K work and school time structure with my kids instead of sending them to pre school and that's just it, u need to get creative like they do at school with behavior charts and prizes at the end if the week if they were good all week or get so many star stickers, however you do it. Schools do this too. Every class has class clowns and teachers are so used to dealing with that, especially since they aren't mom. Your son could very well just be plain old bored. School has so many added benefits and programs where your son would learn everything he should know on time by either getting extra help bc he's having trouble, or he's too bored and needs extra stimulation to keep him wanting to stay on track. It's a lot harder to get over on a school full of professionals than just mom. Schools teach SO MUCH these days!! I am greatful for my district being a great one because I thought one of my children would never take things seriously and here she is, now in 3rd grade and keeps straight As with a 4.0 GPA. Same grades as my always known brainiac since she was 12 months and speaking in sentences. Before a child enters Kindergarten they should know the alphabet and be able to spell their name, know their address, tie their shoes, all sorts of things. My son is recently turned 5, will go to school for K in the fall and by the time K is over, he will know all sorts of math, money, how to PROPERLY write all his letters (he can write them now, they just aren't school perfect yet), be able to read certain things, know how to spell certain words (spelling), etc. they have hw every night in K here. Good luck but in my opinion, would it hurt to have him do a year at the school to see how it works out? People will work with you if any issues arise. You don't want him to miss out. They teach a LOT more nowadays. They are trained professionals. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I read some things on this site and trying them this week last week everyone was sick.

Quoting autodidact:

here's a wonderful blog with tons of great ideas for learning. 

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

amazzonia
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmmm you say that all kids are different and they all learn differently, Andy you are telling this mom to send her kid to school where kids are all tought the same way.... You are contradicting your self.... For the article, no one is telling you to change your ways, but no matter what your views are, it's always good to learn something new and to keep your mind open, obviously you are very closed minded....and another thing, I'm sorry to tell you that grades are not everything in life, your kids might have all A but not knowing anything about life, grades are not everything 

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting amazzonia:

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting amazzonia:

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momoftwo0406:

momof4loves4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM
First and foremost I am a huge part in my children's education. I don't know if you home school or not but let me make you aware that my children's school offers all sorts of different levels of education and assistance for kids on all ends of the spectrum! My girls are in advanced classes. While we also have programs to give kids extra help, one on one help, etc. so no I did not contradict myself in any way. I said how would it hurt if she never tried school. FYI- I didn't read your article, I don't have time for your babble, I was simply telling her (and I know all schools are different) that there are many things that go into the no child left behind, and no one would know unless they actually used the school! Her kid may just need a different authority figure/teacher. These people are trained professionals! Geez! Don't get your panties in a bunch and don't tell me what my kids do and don't know. I don't shelter them. They probably have more common sense and worldy knowledge than you. At least so it seems! Have a great day!

Quoting amazzonia:

Hmmmmm you say that all kids are different and they all learn differently, Andy you are telling this mom to send her kid to school where kids are all tought the same way.... You are contradicting your self.... For the article, no one is telling you to change your ways, but no matter what your views are, it's always good to learn something new and to keep your mind open, obviously you are very closed minded....and another thing, I'm sorry to tell you that grades are not everything in life, your kids might have all A but not knowing anything about life, grades are not everything 

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting amazzonia:

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting amazzonia:

Quoting momof4loves4:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Finland has the best schools in the world and kids don't start until they are seven.  Waldorf schools don't start kids reading until later too.  I teach writing at a homeschool coop and get kids from public school that can't even put a noun and verb together.  And this is at the high school level!  Don't sweat it mom.  Boys can be late starters.  Get a list of great children's books.  Go to the library.  Read out loud to him for at least one hour every day.  Spend time in nature running aound.  Create!  Color!  Take him with you everywhere you go so that he meets all sorts of people ... that is socialization.  Re-evaluate every year and do what is right for your boy.  Sorry this is so late.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

There are children at the age of 5 and 6 that can't even speak yet. If your son is healthy, talking, etc. count your blessing. In the end every child will catch up where they need to be. The child is just that, a child. You can't make adults out of little children people.

Far as putting him in public school or a private school, I would if the school was reputable. He will be fine regardless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN