Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
areles
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM
plenty of kids are like that and get through school. how's he ever going to learn time and place appropriate behavior if you tuck him in a box like a veal?

if that's one of your reasons for keeping him out of school, it's a shitty one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think he will get in lots of trouble in public school for being a class clown. He is a great kids but if kids laugh at something he is doing he will keep doing it. He is the biggest goof off in the in the world. He is always playing jokes. He is also so super smart and creative and inventive. If i could just making learnig letters and reading more funny so he would want to do it.

Quoting MonkeyPeanut79:

I went through the same thing with my son. I still am in some ways. We just keep working through it. Some days are really good and some days are bad but he's learning the material because I test him to make sure.

Only you really know if he would be better off in public school. Some kids are, but some kids thrive with homeschooling. Just find what works for you no matter what that is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
He may be mature enough now but back in the fall he was not ready for school. I dont know of any co-op groups in this area. I think he also needs more motivation. I am not sure what motivation to use. He really doesnt care about stickers. We are using a lot of work books that i bought at differnent stores. I just get pages out of them and try to have him do them. I read tons of books to him atleast 5 a day.
He will play on the computer and loved reading eggs for a while but then got bored with it.

Quoting TheMrs407:

Is there a homeschooling co-op near you?

I teach kindergarten, yes he is behind from the sounds of things. Do you think he's just not mature enough or just not motivated? I also know a few schools I wouldn't send my child to. Don't feel bad about that.

I know what it feels like to feel as though you have failed a child. Every time I have to retain one or even when they don't do as well as you hoped, it hurts. However I think you need to decide if you really did all you could. Ive never felt like I failed a child long term, but I have lessons that bomb and even units I reteach when a good chunk of the kids don't get it.

What materials are you using? Most kindergartners enjoy the computer, but most are more motivated by things they can actually hold and do. In general they also LOVE to be in nature.

Best wishes!
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like traditional schooling is the way to go with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

The term is Sanctimommy not santimommy , and hardly.... Having the expectation a six year old should know the alphabet.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. A chauvinist too?

He's 6, okay. It's not like he's spitting atoms down at the nuclear plant.

Cut the woman some slack. She's here bearing her soul and asking for help.

WTH is wrong with you?

Santimommy

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a lot of empathy for her son. For her? No, you would imagine she would know better.

Or aren't you reading that her 6 year old is not only illiterate , but she has no ability to control him or make him focus on anything to make him better. "He doesn't like it"

What a JOKE

Yes Jail... she's raising a kid who will have no options in his poor life.

And unlike if she were raising a girl, at least we'd have a chance she would meet a guy who would let her be a SAHM.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's too bad you can't LEARN empathy and what it means to be compassionate.

SMH

Go to jail? Melodramatic much?

Quoting Anonymous:

It was VERY called for. The woman is a moron. She should go to jail for failing to educate her child.

Quoting Anonymous:

That was uncalled for.

Feel better?

Quoting Anonymous:

You are.

You made several choices to keep your son from a proper education when you clearly don't have the skills.

The boy is six years old and only knows 19 letters of the alphabet? He should be reading Dr. Seuss and other simple books he should be spelling 3-4 letter words, he should be doing adding and subtracting.

Now you're going to throw him in K and he will be 7 years old.. that means he will be 19 when he has a chance of graduating.

You failed him.

Horribly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
seriously....? Did you happen to re-read or spell check your post at all?
you're homeschooling someone....?
really....?
autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

this is such bullshit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You are.

You made several choices to keep your son from a proper education when you clearly don't have the skills.

The boy is six years old and only knows 19 letters of the alphabet? He should be reading Dr. Seuss and other simple books he should be spelling 3-4 letter words and writing them as well, he should be doing adding and subtracting.

Now you're going to throw him in K and he will be 7 years old.. that means he will be 19 when he has a chance of graduating.

You failed him.

Horribly.

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM

We choose to leave the educating of children to the professionals. SD(5)  knows all her letter (upper and lower) and can write them, she can also read and write sentences (working on spelling) and even add and subtract.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No it isn't.

Quoting autodidact:

this is such bullshit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You are.

The boy is six years old and only knows 19 letters of the alphabet? He should be reading Dr. Seuss and other simple books he should be spelling 3-4 letter words and writing them as well, he should be doing adding and subtracting.

You failed him.

Horribly.

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

A four year old should know his letters and sounds, that's not rushing anything.  And you said your kid is 6, he should at the very least know all his sounds and letters AND be able to read simple books.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

poshkat
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM
They have grants and scholarships to some private school. Shop around, do your research on it. Meanwhile make it fun. Teach math with m&m's or carrot sticks, point to things and sound them out. Read outloud even if you think he's not paying attention.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)