Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel like i am failing my son.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He just turned 6 a few weeks ago. I have been home schooling him this year. We have a terrible school district and i dont want him going to our public school. I though how hard can it be to teach him K. So we started off the year with an online school thing that i decided that i didnt like. So i pulled him from that and started on our own in Jan. He fights he ever step of the way. He doesnt want to practice writing. He doesnt want to practice reading simple words. He doesnt want to do anythi g that schools lke school! Ihe knows names and sounds of 19 of his lletter. I keep heaqring he should know them all by now. I feel like i am failing him but i cant get him to do thw activties with me without a fight. I might just send him to public sxhool in the fall. And he can start at K.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Is there anyone through your homeschool that you can talk to like a teacher or councelor? My sister home schools & they have tons of resources. She can always ask a teacher for help etc.

lady-J-Rock
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I use starfall.com for letters and spell. I play restaurant and have the kids write out your order. 1 juice 3 pizzas. My oldest would find one little cup and three plates. It doesn't have to be sit down and practice writing. Have him write you a story. Draw the pictures. If he prefers comics do that instead. The possibilities are endless.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BabySocks0912
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM
How about a teacher coming to the house ? Or find homeschooling moms with the same age groupin your area and get together
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Teaching kids is hard. You have to create a schedule and stick to it. If he's still giving you a hard time maybe you're going to have to put him in regular school. Some private schools have grants and stuff, aswell. You could always look into that.

areles
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

if he were in school, he could be tested and accommodated for it.  she wouldn't have to just guess.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

What if he has dyslexia. OP said there are a couple people in her family who have it, including her. It does run in families. 

Quoting Miller0305:

A four year old should know his letters and sounds, that's not rushing anything.  And you said your kid is 6, he should at the very least know all his sounds and letters AND be able to read simple books.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

There are always people that say they are homeschooling but aren't. One of my sons was tested when I had to put them back into public school. Third grade. Tested at 12th grade reading and comprehension. The librarian wouldn't let him check out books above his grade level. All of my homeschooled kids tested at or above their grade level.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

Hi!  I'm a teacher.  I once tried teaching 1st grade and found out how really hard it is.  Now, I'm a math teacher and love it.

I'm glad to someone who realizes when they need help with homeschooling.  Too many times I have gotten kids transfered into my class who were homeschooled and very very behind.  I'm not saying that homeschooling is bad, I'm just saying that it's not for everyone.

Have you thought about hiring a tutor to come to your house to teach the curriculum?  I've heard of several parents who homeschool their children but don't actually do the educating themselves.  They hire tutors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Thank you. I think we just need to find a system that works for us. I dont want to have to force him. I want him to want to learn. However i gueas for now its time to battle it out.

Quoting autodidact:

He's six years old, and they are getting a late start. Nothing that can't be remedied, but she needs to put more work in and be firm that he needs to do this. 

She can learn the skills, and barring learning disorders, make up for lost time. 

she hasn't failed him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No it isn't.

Quoting autodidact:

this is such bullshit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You are.

You made several choices to keep your son from a proper education when you clearly don't have the skills.

The boy is six years old and only knows 19 letters of the alphabet? He should be reading Dr. Seuss and other simple books he should be spelling 3-4 letter words and writing them as well, he should be doing adding and subtracting.

Now you're going to throw him in K and he will be 7 years old.. that means he will be 19 when he has a chance of graduating.

You failed him.

Horribly.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Public schools are not the only place that does testing.
Quoting areles:

if he were in school, he could be tested and accommodated for it.  she wouldn't have to just guess.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

What if he has dyslexia. OP said there are a couple people in her family who have it, including her. It does run in families. 

Quoting Miller0305:

A four year old should know his letters and sounds, that's not rushing anything.  And you said your kid is 6, he should at the very least know all his sounds and letters AND be able to read simple books.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see a need to rush his reading or to rush a 4 year old into knowing letters and sounds.i want my litle kids to spend a lot of time exploding.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I"m no help my kids knew how to read fluent by the time they were 6. They new all of their sounds and letters by the time they were 4. I think putting him in school would e a good idea. He could need extra help that you just can't offer him because you are not a teacher. Not saying there is anything wrong you but you are not a teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I have been told they will not teat for it until 3rd grade becuase many kids will out grow it.

Quoting areles:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting Miller0305:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
He is 6, and your school can't be worse than homeschooling if he is so far behind. I hate to be so harsh on such a touchy subject but even you admit it's doing him no good. But then again he might need an evaluation. My dd is 5, and going to kindergarten this fall. She hasn't been to pre-k either. Just reading and occasionally playing with her using math and reading books she knows her numbers, letters, letter sounds, some math, some words, and writes her full name and smaller words with not much if any help. And that's why I'm comparing but also recommending an eval.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN