Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sedate my children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
I read an article where a mother confessed to administering sedatives to her children (one, at the time, as young as three!) when travelling on long haul flights. The sedatives would knock her children out and allow her and other passengers to have a peaceful journey. Her reason for doing this was to avoid hours of screaming, tantrums and looks of disgust and anger from other passengers!

Imo I don't agree with this I believe it comes down to your own parental skills I.e the ability to be able to control your kids and not the other way around?

As moms, is this something you would or have done, or do you agree with my opinion?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I have heard of moms giving their kids tylenol or nyquil to put them to sleep while they travel. I don't agree with it. I don't gve my child meds unless very necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree with this..some of those drugs are harmful to even adults so they have to be even more harmful to a kid. IMO if you can't control your kid on a flight then maybe you shouldn't be going. I know hard choice when it comes to holidays but parents should learn how to control kids on flights, especially if they are going to be long flights.

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I would book an overnight flight and give him melatonin, 13+ hr flights are tough

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:44 AM
I don't agree with this either. One never knows what can happend to there kids when giving them meds. I am glad to say that we bought 2 tv's for our van now my kids watch movies while i drive .
NorthStar09
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I do, but not like that. My DD has a severe fear of flying. Well, had. She's actually gotten better, to the point that we're not doing it, but when the anxiety was at it's worst, I gave her somehting to make her tired. She is very sensitive to medication, so I would give her an antihystamene (the same one she takes for her occasional allergy attacks, so it's not like I'm just randomly buying a med for this purpose) about an hour before takeoff. She would get in, go to sleep while the plane was still parked, and sleep through a good portion of the flight, minimizing the anxiety level. She ASKED for it though, I wouldn't do it against her will even if she screamed the whole way.

Now she's kind of over it and I think a good part of the reason is that she was sedated through her fear so it didn't become a huge negative experience for her and she eventually got to the point that she realizes it's not that scary.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Hell no! Yes I agree with you! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Depends on what typeof meds. My sis lives in Japan and when my nephew was younger she would gice him dramamine (sp) to help him sleep the 18 or so hour flight times.
ETA
She always did it with her peds approval.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Parents should be controlling them anywhere they are, too bad they don't.

Quoting Vipergirl22:

I don't agree with this..some of those drugs are harmful to even adults so they have to be even more harmful to a kid. IMO if you can't control your kid on a flight then maybe you shouldn't be going. I know hard choice when it comes to holidays but parents should learn how to control kids on flights, especially if they are going to be long flights.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Why would you feel the need to sedate him? Yes its a long journey but maybe a planned journey, where you took overnight breaks or stops to break up the journey would have been better?

Quoting MommynMonster:

I would book an overnight flight and give him melatonin, 13+ hr flights are tough

Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Parents should be controlling them anywhere they are, too bad they don't.

Quoting Vipergirl22:

Yes they should. I personally am still learning how to..seems like nothing works for my kid sometimes but we try and are figuring it out hopefully.

GGG
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)