Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Dh had a nervous breakdown due to work related stress and is now not working

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
For now we can get short term disability but after 30 days he'll be off he's pretty much flat out refusing to go back. I'm having to pull the kids from daycare. He says he's putting in resumes but his license is suspended. He wants to be a traveling notary and just work freelance. I'm so nervous he will never work and every time I bring it up he tells me I'm not the not the one who had a nervous breakdown. I'm thinking of moving the kids and I out ASAP. I can't live with a man who refuses to work a real job and provide for his family.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM

you're right.. NONE of us have any idea what you're really going thru since your post was so vague

Quoting Anonymous:

F you! You have no idea what I've been through with this man.

Quoting whooperz:

I'm sure having such a supportive wife helps

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I don't have to write out 10 years worth of issues and my post is not vague. My husband had a nervous breakdown and is refusing to face his issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

you're right.. NONE of us have any idea what you're really going thru since your post was so vague

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting whooperz:

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM

after reading your replies, i'd say that you need to move on.

sampson200
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:02 AM

When things get rough you leave?

Hmph.

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:02 AM

maybe you should add a little "his issues with maintaining a job have been an ongoing problem for the past 10 years", or something..

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have to write out 10 years worth of issues and my post is not vague. My husband had a nervous breakdown and is refusing to face his issues.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting whooperz:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM

So in short...

He had a nervous breakdown due to work stress. Now he is refusing to go back to said job because he doesn't want to deal with that job stress at all.

He is not a real motivated person to get a job because he doesn't like to work. He prefers to do part time work over full time that is low stress. He has no driver's lisence but wants to be a traveling notary? He does realize that he will have to drive...or you drive him.

Honey..leave the guy. he is a mooch and isn't going to change. He may be able to change for short term but when it comes right down to it...he doesn't want to grow the heck up. I was married to one like that. He did his work-work but anything around the house or to do with physical work. Nope sat on the couch and watched cartoons like he was 15.

Caspriel
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

And the fact she works. I hate when people leave out key details,then I have to read fifty replies and the op correcting them all.. I demand full disclosure!

Anyway,yeah leave him;he sounds like a lazy ass.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

maybe you should add a little "his issues with maintaining a job have been an ongoing problem for the past 10 years", or something..

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting whooperz:

amyleigh80
by Amy... on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Remember, in good times and bad, in sickness and in health.

Love him. Support him. You may be the one who needs his support someday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2gingers
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM
For better or worse, in sickness and in health...
You married him, he is your life mate. Help him. Is this really a reason to take your kids from their father? To bust up a family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM
You hit the nail on the head. He's on a non plan plan.

Quoting lancet98:

Well, nervous breakdown is a term many people still use, but it is not a diagnosis - does he have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist?   Is there a possibility he could get some treatment for a specific diagnosis, and then be fit to go back to work?   Perhaps he is having some actual problem with anxiety, or depression, those can be successfully treated.

How'd he lose his license?  Is it something he can get back?

I don't know what a traveling notary is - would he really make a living wage doing that?   Even enough to just support himself?

I am kind of wondering if maybe you could work til he gets another job?   That's what most people would  do, rather than pack up and leave.   Is he able to take care of the children at this point?  

Work stress can be pretty incredibly painful, but what most people do is line up another job, and then resign from the job they have.   If he has a specific diagnosis, he needs treatment - that's the point of treatment, so that emotional problems don't disrupt one's life, ability to work, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured