Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you correct your toddler's speech/grammar?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 349 Replies
3 moms liked this
I love, love, love the age dd is at where she pops up with a million new words everyday. I love the way she says stuff. Ya know, stuff like birds are "birders", blanky is "manky" or a puddle is a "poodle". Dh always corrects her and tells her the proper pronounciation...I do not. If we're leaving, I ask if she remembered her manky because I think it's cute. Obviously, once she's a little older, I'll correct her, but for now, I enjoy her baby versions. She does call her stuffed bear a beer though, which I may want to fix as not to get weird looks when she says she wants a beer!

Do you let them say things the way they want or do start proper grammar from the get go?

***I should specify, since everyone seems to correct mispronounced words...I'm not really talking about letting her say things like "me ain't seen no manky." I'm sitting here listening to her get excited about the fact that her bathrobe has pockets. Every few seconds, she runs up to me and says "mommy, look! I have pockets!" Most of her speech is pretty clear and pocket is a word she just picked up yesterday. I just can't imagine her needing speech therapy or sounding like a baby at 5 because I let her call her blanket a manky.

***I was really hoping this thread would die out, but since it hasn't yet, I'll clarify again. I don't repeat all of her wrong sayings. I have a few that I love, like manky, that I am not at all concerned about. Most of what she says wrong is just her inability to make that sound yet. She knows what it should sound like and she hears the rest of the family and myself say it, but she has to practice it before it comes out correctly. For example, she started out saying "bood" and then "boon" and finally got the hang of moon, not because I constantly told her it was a moon, but because she was experimenting with the sounds. If there's something she has trouble with, like mixing up b's and m's currently, it takes a week or two for her to get it straight. In no way do I see not pressuring her to say the word perfectly at 21 months old as a bad thing. Her vocabulary is developing quite nicely with the exception of a few words. She knows what a blanket is and will bring one to you if asked, but I have a feeling that manky is just what she will call her own specific pink and white striped blanket. Of all the things that kids refer to their comfort objects as, that one seems harmless. Sorry so long :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM
8 moms liked this

Yes. I nip that in the bud, I learned the hard way with my godson that letting him talk incorrectly, although cute, is a hard habit to break in some kids. I have been correcting my son ever since he started talking, and he speaks very well because of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I started from the get go. I don't want DD to still be talking like a 2 yr old when she's 5.
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I nip it in the bud right then and there.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I do. Right now my two year old says "me do it, or me want one". I always correct him :)
Schleetle
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I tell her the right pronunciations, but I don't mind if she makes up silly words for things. Like she calls her blanket a pin-pin. I have no idea why, but she knows it's a blanket. lol
luvmymonkeys27
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I always reinforce correct pronunciation and grammar. 

Lorik1969
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this
My kids had pet names for a few things, but for the most part I corrected them. It's never too early to teach proper grammar. I also spoke to them like adults. If they didn't know a word, they would ask or figure it out from context. My friends used to laugh and say my kids sounded just like me when they spoke. They all have an excellent vocabulary now.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Yes, as soon as they started talking.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Off- topic, but "Mankey" is my and DH's nickname for each other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I corrected it in my older 2 from the get go.  With my youngest I didnt and ended up having one hell of a time reteaching her to talk.   She started speech therapy for it at 3 1/2 and had to continue it for 4 yrs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)