Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did your child dress themselves? Edit...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 26 Replies

When did they start putting their own clothes on by themselves?  After reading everyone's replies....

my 6 yr old ds can do everything but his pants and socks....if I start his pants, he can pull them up, he can't do socks yet. My 3 yr old ds helps with his shirt, but can't do anything else. Both boys are autistic and I know they are both behind, but I'm not sure if its because of the autism. I posted in the autism group, but only got 1 response...

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aleta775
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

As in pick out their own clothes and get dressed, just the ability to put clothes on by themselves? 

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Quoting Aleta775:

As in pick out their own clothes and get dressed, just the ability to put clothes on by themselves? 

Getting dressed themselves...putting their clothes on

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My oldest was 4 when I made her take over. She started picking her own clothes and putting them on by herself then. My 3 year old is still working on the putting them on part, but she picks them really well.

elkmomma
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

DS started at 2 picking his cloths out, no not everything matched.  At 3 he started to dress himself with a little help for balance.

Aleta775
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't know what the average age should be, but my dd is 3 and can dress herself. She needs some help with buttons, and with tights but other wise she can do everything. 

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Quoting Aleta775:

Getting dressed themselves...putting their clothes on

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
2 or 3. They were both around 4 or 5 when they could actually match their clothes. It was a long battle to convince my DD that her entire outfit did not have to be pink.
christina0607
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I'd say 2 they started and mastered it around 3. 

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

2, maybe even a little before 2 with my daughter. And its a PAIN! She literally thinks that she needs to put on every piece of clothing she owns every single day lol

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

around 3 was when they could do it without assistance

LAXmom21
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Between 2 and 3 if I remember correctly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured