Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did your child dress themselves? Edit...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 26 Replies

When did they start putting their own clothes on by themselves?  After reading everyone's replies....

my 6 yr old ds can do everything but his pants and socks....if I start his pants, he can pull them up, he can't do socks yet. My 3 yr old ds helps with his shirt, but can't do anything else. Both boys are autistic and I know they are both behind, but I'm not sure if its because of the autism. I posted in the autism group, but only got 1 response...

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aleta775
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

As in pick out their own clothes and get dressed, just the ability to put clothes on by themselves? 

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Quoting Aleta775:

As in pick out their own clothes and get dressed, just the ability to put clothes on by themselves? 

Getting dressed themselves...putting their clothes on

AHmom103
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My oldest was 4 when I made her take over. She started picking her own clothes and putting them on by herself then. My 3 year old is still working on the putting them on part, but she picks them really well.

elkmomma
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

DS started at 2 picking his cloths out, no not everything matched.  At 3 he started to dress himself with a little help for balance.

Aleta775
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't know what the average age should be, but my dd is 3 and can dress herself. She needs some help with buttons, and with tights but other wise she can do everything. 

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Quoting Aleta775:

Getting dressed themselves...putting their clothes on

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
2 or 3. They were both around 4 or 5 when they could actually match their clothes. It was a long battle to convince my DD that her entire outfit did not have to be pink.
christina0607
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I'd say 2 they started and mastered it around 3. 

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

2, maybe even a little before 2 with my daughter. And its a PAIN! She literally thinks that she needs to put on every piece of clothing she owns every single day lol

sfkdny
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

around 3 was when they could do it without assistance

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Between 2 and 3 if I remember correctly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN