Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for the love of whatever is holy to you...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 57 Replies
My 4yo seriously takes 2-3 hours to eat. By the time dinner is ready, he just finished lunch. I am so exhausted with this. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't spank, I can't yell, how the hell is he going to take me seriously? He laughs when I give directions. He says "whatever you say, MOM". I'm so frustrated! He goes on outings to church, grandmas house, walks, etc.

He says he wants his "life" back...

What the hell do I do? Let his 2-3 hour average eating time dictate my schedule that I have the baby on because it affects his bathtime and bedtime.
I'm so fed up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LizLestrange
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
8 moms liked this

I would wait for an hour, and if he doesn't eat it in that time limit. Take it away. Keep doing this daily and he will learn. 

DamianaFire
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Get set up at the table. Give him his food. Set a timer, say 10 or 15 mins. At the end of that time, take his food. He'll learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnRmommaof3
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Smaller meals? You are obviously giving him too much. I would start for lunch with a half sandwich not a whole, 1/2 a piece of fruit not a whole, a small cup of drink. I would say you have 30 minutes and we are doing X, Y and Z. When the time is over it is over.

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I did that today then he screamed that I'm starving him to death :/

Quoting LizLestrange:

I would wait for an hour, and if he doesn't eat it in that time limit. Take it away. Keep doing this daily and he will learn. 

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It shouldn't take that long for him to eat. Less portions

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Only give him 1 hour to eat whatever isnt finished throw away or put in the fridge for another day. You're the boss not him.
hp2011
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I'm not. I give him my pedis recommended portions. I base the portions on the size of his fist. example- one third of chicken breast and two table spoons of peas. HE ATE TWO BITES AND SAT THERE FOR TWO HOURS. lol

Quoting AnnRmommaof3:

Smaller meals? You are obviously giving him too much. I would start for lunch with a half sandwich not a whole, 1/2 a piece of fruit not a whole, a small cup of drink. I would say you have 30 minutes and we are doing X, Y and Z. When the time is over it is over.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM
My sister did that, too. You have to tough it out. An hour dinner time is more than sufficient.

Also, don't let him eat with the TV, computer or other distractions. Dinner time is for eating time only.

Quoting hp2011:

Quoting LizLestrange:

Bawyada
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with a definite time limit.  I think 20 mins is plenty, then take it away and NO snacking unless he eats his meal well. He's going to have to eat in a set time at school or if he was in daycare they wouldn't give him all day.  Also, don't let him make you feel guilty if he's hungry say "well maybe you'll eat all of your next meal". 

LizLestrange
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Quoting hp2011:

Quoting LizLestrange:

I would still stick to it! He won't learn if you give up. GOOD LUCK MAMA!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN