Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone dealing with aging parents?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 145 Replies

Are you struggling to deal with aging parents and your changing relationship with them? Do YOU feel like the parent sometimes?

My parents aren't that old and are still active and in good shape, but I watched them help take care of my grandparents into very old age (grandfathers lived to be 90 and 97; grandmothers in their mid-80s) and honestly I'm a little worried about how I'll handle all that stuff eventually.

What about you?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsLuciano02
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

My father is 53 and has Alhztimers, about a week and half ago we had to put him into a home permanetly because he was getting so bad that my aunt (his sister) and his mom couldn't take care of him anymore. He lived with me for a year and it did feel like I was his parent because I had to watch him and make sure he didn't wonder off.

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My FIL is only 52 but he is dying; from Parkinsons... It's really hard to see him deteriorate; and know that he most likely won't make it the next 5 years. One hard part is that all of his kids (bio and in-law) are so young to have to be already worrying about losing him. And dhances are most of the grandchildren won't have memories of him. Thats the most heart breaking part.

maryroses
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I lost my father almost 2 years ago.  He had dementia.  My mom cared for him at home until the end and I would go over to give her breaks.  It was a hard thing to deal with.   But now we are going through it with my father in law, he isn't that old (in his early 70's) but he has had a stoke and a heart attack recently and refuses to follow the diet he is suppose to be on.  He almost refused dialysis!  Both my husband's mother and my mother are in their late 60's and in fairly good health but I worry about both of them because of the stress.  

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents are in their 50 but are very active and healthy for  the most part. My mom has had some homronal level issues and such but thats to be expected. My dad has had some injuries but nothing crazy. We have talked about what they would like and such when the time comes though. Its nice having a plan all set out before hand. 

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM
My ILs' are still relatively young and healthy but my parents are late 60s and not healthy. It is very hard living so far away and not being there to help them out. I always new this time was coming just hoped to get another few years so my children would be older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

my mother died many years ago.  My father is 74 and is doing just fine(no major health issues besides the aches and pains)  He does not live close by either. People are living longer these days.  Both of my grandparents died a while back, but they lived into their 80s

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I am the aging parent, lol. And my daughter "deals" with me beautifully :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
7 moms liked this

My mother lives with me. She's actually in our in law apartment so she's not really in my house, she has her own space. 

She has health problems that aren't too bad yet but they will get bad. I'll be here for her no matter what. I won't put her in a home or anything. If she needs nurses or whatever, I'll get them. Until that time, I'll do whatever I need to for her. 

Momo77
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I took care of both of my parents when they were sick and was with them both when they died.

Its a lot of stress and work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
4 moms liked this

My step-father died in hospice, here in our home, July 2011 and my mother is not that far behind him, she's also here.  IT SUCKS being the sibling that has stepped up because the others can't handle it, not to mention I battle my own illness, MS and A1 Anti-Trypsin Deficiency, daily as well as dealing with an Autistic child.  However, you handle your business no matter what, because it's the right thing to do and you would want it done for you.  It's also a great lesson in compassion for my children as they watch us and help take care of their grandparents.

My Father and Step-Mother are very healthy and very independent, so I get a reprieve when it comes to them, for now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)