Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We just moved into our dream home and just found out from our new neighbor

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

that the previous homeowners of the house we just bought had planted a bunch of trees over his property line against his wishes.  The old owner and the neighbor apparently reached an agreement with each other.  The previous owner of the house we just bought paid to have these trees cut back every year.  The neighbor was making it sound like he expected us to do the same as the previous home owner. 

My dh and I told him that we would not pay for the tree trimming on his property like the previous owner of our house did. 

I just wonder about people sometimes and their under lying intentions...

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd go to the city to look up the property line to be sure and what they say about this. You may be reposible for trimming them if not, the neigbhor may be able to require for you to remove them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Lol that is laughable bc you did not make those arrangements but old homeowner did so you are not under any obligations although I would talk to someone to get all my rights and the facts.
momma2mms
by Kristin on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If your trees over reach onto his property you have to trim them back or remove the tree. At least where I live.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

well i would see what was legal in your area, to see recourse you have about the trees.

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
This. I get you didn't plant the trees but if they truly cross the property line then you are responsible for keeping them contained to your property.

Quoting momma2mms:

If your trees over reach onto his property you have to trim them back or remove the tree. At least where I live.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
So are threes on his actual property or the branches and what not are?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly I would have no problem taking them out.  I have a chain saw and know how to use it. :) 

Quoting FoodIsLife:

I'd go to the city to look up the property line to be sure and what they say about this. You may be reposible for trimming them if not, the neigbhor may be able to require for you to remove them.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Sounds like he needs to contact the previous owners, huh?

Lol. The stuff people try and pull.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Recheck the property line. BUT if the trees are on his side he can make you remove them.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

When you own a house you own the responsibilities. If he's within his legal rights you have to comply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)