Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my confession; i have never encountered a child like this before today.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 102 Replies

my goodness that was awkward.

my 7yr old son caught a ride home with our neighbor who works as whats it called? she works with kids who need help at school and lives down the street from us.

anyways....as usual we chatted her, in her car, me, with my head out the door, but she asked to see the baby,  so i invited her in.

and this kid who she gives a ride home to every day follows her in.(size?8-9ish. but said he had a younger brother who was 12)

coming up the walk he was admonishing her, saying "you know we cant stay long pam, so i really hope you dont plan on taking long, i have things to do today!"

and i thought to myself, "what a rude child!" so they come in and he stays by the door, while i invited her into dining/kitchen area for a peek at our little guy, so she's checking him out and asking all the normal questions and what not, (weight. how long it took, was it awful? lol)

and the whole time this kid keeps interrupting, insisting they needed to go. right now. and he is getting more and more insist ant, and by then i am sure my eyes were as wide as dinner plates i was taken aback at this boy.

and she just ignores him, completely.

so i took my cue from her, and ignored him as well,  but it was very....unsettling, and i was a tad uncomfortable. it took a min for it to click in my head, that there is something different about this child.

he is not intending to be rude. this is his personality, and his routine is off because she got out of the car to come in.

OH.

oh my goodness, this is what "those moms" on cafemom are talking about. this is what they have to deal with.

i cannot imagine how frustrating, and draining of energy it must be.

i dont know if im right, but my guess is he is on the autism spectrum and i would guess he has ocd tendencies. 

i remember when my 7 yr olds teachers in bethune kindergarten tried to tell me he needed to be medicated, and that she thought he was autistic, because he would get lost in thought or be overly excited about activities, but mostly because of chronic constipation, at that age he would occasionally have accidents and was in pull ups. 

we never  heard a single nice word about our son from that teacher. she scared the shit out of me, i had always thought ds was a pretty normal kid, and he is, thank god.

thank god for teachers who love their jobs and students here in our town, we no longer live in the bethune district, thank goodness, and i have asked his teachers if they thought there was anything wrong with him, if they thought he needed to be medicated and they looked at me like i was nuts, and said "of course not!"

anyways.  im very glad he's not, normal kids are exhausting enough!!

i really hope i dont come across as offensive or judgmental,that is not at all my intention.

that was just the first time i have ever had any interaction with a child like that.

**about my sons constipation because i know someone will say something; he was maulled by 2 great danes when he was 3 and had extensive injuries, he regressed in his potty training and started to withold his poo because it hurt for him to poop, developing encropsresis, which we are working with to this day. he no longer poops his pants but i do have to stay on top off makeing sure he is pooping daily**

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

well that was longer than i intended it to be lol sorry

mstricey
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I've thought of doing a video diary and posting it to cafemom just so other moms can see what it's like. Not every autistic child is the same. Also some people may get on your for saying "normal".. Typical or neurotypical are the pc terms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

How sad is it that This was my thought too?

Quoting mstricey:

I've thought of doing a video diary and posting it to cafemom just so other moms can see what it's like. Not every autistic child is the same. Also some people may get on your for saying "normal".. Typical or neurotypical are the pc terms.

D.O.E.
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

im sorry. he isnt exactly "typical" though lol he has his idiosyncrasies, and at times i have wondered about that boy.....lol......but wow that kid was intense

i have a new respect for moms who deal with such children

Quoting mstricey:

knagsmom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM
My son is 6 n has encropsresis as well. It's a battle to have him be able to poop. Congrats on the baby
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

we have an autistic boy (well almost man, he is 17 now) in my town and when he was 4 or 5 he was the cutest thing ever. a little distracted/in his own world but he loved to snuggle and ask questions and he talked a bit wierd (not sure if it was the autism or a speech delay) but it made him even cuter. he was soo ocd about things, you needed to tell him the schedule for the day in the morning and you couldn't deviate from it without at least an hours notice and he didn't tantrum but he would get confused. I would imagine he had other issues that I never witnessed related to his autism but I thought he was a pretty relaxed/chill kid for a sn kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Just because my son has aspergers doesn't mean he isn't "normal"!! I actually used to enjoy your threads but I will never open another
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Is it just me or is this post all over the place
sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Not liking the "normal" statement here either. The correct way is to say "typical".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Such children? Are you really that into your little normal family? Hopefully your new baby won't be such a child there fore your "normal" family wont be distorted. You sicken me

Quoting D.O.E.:

im sorry. he isnt exactly "typical" though lol he has his idiosyncrasies, and at times i have wondered about that boy.....lol......but wow that kid was intense

i have a new respect for moms who deal with such children

Quoting mstricey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)