Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Brad Paisley and LL Cool J collaboration.
What do you think?
I can't post a YouTube video so if you want to hear it, you have to look it up. But here are the lyrics.

(Paisley)To the man that waited on me at the Starbucks down on Main, I hope you understand When I put on that t-shirt, the only thing I meant to say is I'm a Skynyrd fan The red flag on my chest somehow is like the elephant in the corner of the south And I just walked him right in the room Just a proud rebel son with an 'ol can of worms Lookin' like I got a lot to learn but from my point of view

I'm just a white man comin' to you from the southland Tryin' to understand what it's like not to be I'm proud of where I'm from but not everything we've done And it ain't like you and me can re-write history Our generation didn't start this nation We're still pickin' up the pieces, walkin' on eggshells, fightin' over yesterday And caught between southern pride and southern blame

They called it Reconstruction, fixed the buildings, dried some tears We're still siftin' through the rubble after a hundred-fifty years I try to put myself in your shoes and that's a good place to begin But it ain't like I can walk a mile in someone else's skin

'Cause I'm a white man livin' in the southland Just like you I'm more than what you see I'm proud of where I'm from but not everything we've done And it ain't like you and me can re-write history Our generation didn't start this nation And we're still paying for the mistakes That a bunch of folks made long before we came And caught between southern pride and southern blame

(LL) Dear Mr. White Man, I wish you understood What the world is really like when you're livin' in the hood Just because my pants are saggin' doesn't mean I'm up to no good You should try to get to know me, I really wish you would Now my chains are gold but I'm still misunderstood I wasn't there when Sherman's March turned the south into firewood I want you to get paid but be a slave I never could Feel like a new fangled Django, dodgin' invisible white hoods So when I see that white cowboy hat, I'm thinkin' it's not all good I guess we're both guilty of judgin' the cover not the book I'd love to buy you a beer, conversate and clear the air But I see that red flag and I think you wish I wasn't here

I'm just a white man (If you don't judge my do-rag) Comin' to you from the southland (I won't judge your red flag) Tryin' to understand what it's like not to be I'm proud of where I'm from (If you don't judge my gold chains) But not everything we've done (I'll forget the iron chains) It ain't like you and me can re-write history (Can't re-write history baby)

Oh, Dixieland (The relationship between the Mason-Dixon needs some fixin') I hope you understand what this is all about (Quite frankly I'm a black Yankee but I've been thinkin' about this lately) I'm a son of the new south (The past is the past, you feel me) And I just want to make things right (Let bygones be bygones) Where all that's left is southern pride (RIP Robert E. Lee but I've gotta thank Abraham Lincoln for freeing me, know what I mean It's real, it's real It's truth)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (111-117):
Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I don't think it meant so much that we should just move on so much as don't relate what you see on the outside to past connotations without knowing the person because we are not our ancestors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hate when people suggest slavery happened so long ago that we should just move on... Don't they realize there is still negative repurcussion today in the 21st century?  Don't they know that segragation was still the norm until the mid 1960s?  People really need to educate themselves.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I guess you could see it that way but when Hitler left the German people high and dry it lost the pride people felt for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Could be a matter of German pride, heritage... could it not?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Rebel flag has numerous connotations. Swastika, in terms of nazism does not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rebel flag is ok to fly but a swastika flag is not?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I understand your point. However, for example, if someone choses to wear a rebel flag, they know there will be a judgement made about them (right or wrong) but they still chose to wear it.  Ok fine, let it be their right to wear it, but that doesn't mean they could to tell others how to feel about it. Kwim.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I don't think it meant so much that we should just move on so much as don't relate what you see on the outside to past connotations without knowing the person because we are not our ancestors.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hate when people suggest slavery happened so long ago that we should just move on... Don't they realize there is still negative repurcussion today in the 21st century?  Don't they know that segragation was still the norm until the mid 1960s?  People really need to educate themselves.

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I heard it this morning and frankly it sucks. It didn't mesh well at all. I like the lyrics, but the part where they were both going at the same time just sounded like a car wreck.
Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Im not saying you can't feel some type of way about it. But its not a bad thing to say "hey, just give it a thought before passing judgement". In no way will everyone or even most minds be changed, but its an interesting way to look at it. The same as a black guy wearing a do rag, sagging his pants shouldn't immediately be met with he's a gangster he's gonna rob me or however the hell people think when they feed into stereotypes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand your point. However, for example, if someone choses to wear a rebel flag, they know there will be a judgement made about them (right or wrong) but they still chose to wear it.  Ok fine, let it be their right to wear it, but that doesn't mean they could to tell others how to feel about it. Kwim.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Lol the whole thing sounds car wreckish to me. They're both more talented than what they display in this song.

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

I heard it this morning and frankly it sucks. It didn't mesh well at all. I like the lyrics, but the part where they were both going at the same time just sounded like a car wreck.

H.E.Smama
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
The concept was that not everyone who 'supports' the confederate flag supports it bc it represents slavery, some support it for southern heritage. But people are so busy looking at stereotypes they can't see anything but the racist redneck or the thugged out black man.

Quoting ThatSkinnyGirl:

Good concept? What about this is a "good concept"?! Am I reading the same lyrics?

Quoting H.E.Smama:

Yea i like the concept but the execution was a fail, i have a strong dislike for country music but when they threw ll in there with that country beat and he wasn't to any rhythm at all it just made me sad lol. But again kudos for the good concept.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I agree it was pretty lame but I get the intent. It's like, don't judge each other on appearances ya know? Not really meant to downplay the flag so much as just because a dude has it doesn't mean he's a racist the same way just because a dude sags his pants or wears chains doesn't mean he's a thug.

Quoting H.E.Smama:

Ok it was sorta lame then ll came in.. Extremely lame now. Seriously that's the best ll could do?? I think his heart was in the right place but one country song is not gonna wipe out the ignorance that flag represents to so many.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN