Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know my son needs to lose weight, but my husband and family are handling it all the wrong way!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

Im the first to say that my 8 year needed to eat better and lose a little weight, which I finally am getting him eating and eating the right way again, so proud of him. 

Here is the deal, between my husband and my mom, my poor child is in tears. My mom weighed him and then ran around telling everyone his weight and how shocked she is and how chunky he is, I had to tell her to shut up, he was in absolute tears!

My husband follows him around questioning everything he eats, "Do you really think you should eat that fruit roll up, you have a gut?" (By the way, his fruit roll up was his evening snack before bed) My son threw it down and left the room upset, I found him in his room hysterical!

Between the 2 of them, they caused him to go on a hunger strike, he refused to eat for a little over 24 hours! I had to beg him to eat some chicken.

I am so proud of him, he has 3 healthy meals a day, 2 snacks (is that enough?) Most of his easter candy is still left, he wont really eat alot of it, my husband has ate most of it, and his birthday party was yesterday, he had 1 piece of cake, and I have half a cake in the fridge he hasnt touched!

He still says things like, "Look how fat I a, everyone thinks Im soo fat!" or "Maybe I shouldnt eat today, Im still a little chunky!"

Im ready to beat the hell out of everyone, I need positive support not negative! How to I convince him not to listen to those idiots, and to continue to eat and eat healthy?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

For starters, you need to explain to your husband and mother that boys can develope eating disorders just as easily as girls.

Then, try and get him into a program that will teach him how to make healthy choices on his own. Call your health insurance company, they should be able to help.

CafeMom Tickers
hotmama83227
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

if he was a little girl, they'd be worried about eating disorders. i f*%king HATE double standards. they need to back off. if it were me i'd start picking apart their flaws, right in front of everyone

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Thank you, they are definitly doing more harm than good!

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

For starters, you need to explain to your husband and mother that boys can develope eating disorders just as easily as girls.

Then, try and get him into a program that will teach him how to make healthy choices on his own. Call your health insurance company, they should be able to help.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this answer!

Quoting hotmama83227:

if he was a little girl, they'd be worried about eating disorders. i f*%king HATE double standards. they need to back off. if it were me i'd start picking apart their flaws, right in front of everyone

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I should point our grandmas thunder thighs and daddys muffin top! LOL!

Quoting hotmama83227:

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I have gone through something similar as far as my hubby goes. A few years ago one of ours was eating quite a bit,just not always when he was home and not sleeping(about a four hour time frame during the week) and he started making comments about them being so thin and not eating enough etc... It caused them to become very conscious  of what they ate,how many calories,etc... and really caused some problems. Never mind the fact they didn't want to eat anymore when he was around. It took quite awhile for me to help get our child past this and to eat normally again. Hugs Momma...You just keep encouraging him and letting him know what agreat job he is doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Thank you, I keep telling him that mommy is getting healthy with him, and we exercise on the XBox Kinect, but his dad has an extended weekend, took some vacation days and is causing havoc!

Quoting cjsix:

I have gone through something similar as far as my hubby goes. A few years ago one of ours was eating quite a bit,just not always when he was home and not sleeping(about a four hour time frame during the week) and he started making comments about them being so thin and not eating enough etc... It caused them to become very conscious  of what they ate,how many calories,etc... and really caused some problems. Never mind the fact they didn't want to eat anymore when he was around. It took quite awhile for me to help get our child past this and to eat normally again. Hugs Momma...You just keep encouraging him and letting him know what agreat job he is doing.

CheeseLouise
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I am feeling the same frustration as you are, my 16 year old daughter is overweight and my husband tends to give her a hard time about it. He doesn't straight up say "you're fat, stop eating," but one day she wanted to borrow his jacket and he said "there's no way that'll fit you, it will be too tight!" I could see how hurt she gets from comments like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured