Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how much do kids really remember?

Posted by   + Show Post
Can a 6 almost 7 year old remember stuff from when they were 1-3 most of it being really seen at 1-2 and start acting at the age they are now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Yes.
Quoting Morningday:

When you were 6 mths ?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, my 6 nearly 7 year old remembers a lot from when he was 1-2 yrs old. I had cancer then and every so often he'll ask me about something that he remembered about my surgery or chemo.

I remember my first Christmas when I was 6 months old.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Yes. My five year old remembers things from when he was 1-3, very specific details that have never been mentioned in front of him.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM
No idea but DS, who is 4, has recently started telling me that usually starts with, "mommy, remember when.....(enter situation)". At first, I'm like...um nope and thinking it's one of his made up stories but then after he goes into further detail I'm like...yeah.

I think to myself, "HOW in the hell does this kid remember something that happened when he was 16-18 months old?!?"

This kid has a phenomenal memory. I can't get by with the excuse, "later" or in a few weeks or anything of that nature because he will and does remember. The famous, "mommy, can we got to the shop and get some little cars for my track?"

"No"

"mommy, but you said the other week that you would take me if I was really good at daddy's"

(Which he was at the other week).......

Hangs head...."okay bud, we'll go tomorrow after school, okay?"

"Okay"

Next day at school picking him up....hugs and kisses and first words,

"Can we go to the shop now?"

"Baby, I have to go home to cook dinner."

"But mommy, you said!"

Touche!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM

My dd is 6 and always spouting off stuff she remembers when she was around 1. It AMAZES me!

hotmama83227
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

idk i have one kid 11 yrs old that remembers EVERY SINGLE THING THAT EVER HAPPENED SINCE HE WAS FREAKING BORN lol or so it seems...and another kid also 11 yrs that can't remember yesterday lol

Luna091306
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is the EXACT same way! It's crazy!

Quoting BeAmour:

No idea but DS, who is 4, has recently started telling me that usually starts with, "mommy, remember when.....(enter situation)". At first, I'm like...um nope and thinking it's one of his made up stories but then after he goes into further detail I'm like...yeah.

I think to myself, "HOW in the hell does this kid remember something that happened when he was 16-18 months old?!?"

This kid has a phenomenal memory. I can't get by with the excuse, "later" or in a few weeks or anything of that nature because he will and does remember. The famous, "mommy, can we got to the shop and get some little cars for my track?"

"No"

"mommy, but you said the other week that you would take me if I was really good at daddy's"

(Which he was at the other week).......

Hangs head...."okay bud, we'll go tomorrow after school, okay?"

"Okay"

Next day at school picking him up....hugs and kisses and first words,

"Can we go to the shop now?"

"Baby, I have to go home to cook dinner."

"But mommy, you said!"

Touche!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Zimmerchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I remember things from when I was 2, I'm going on 31 this year. My mother, going on 51, also remembers things from that young. Both of us have a history of sexual abuse, and that is what my memories from that time are of mostly, I don't know about my mother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Wow. These women will make up anything to make them feel important for 2 seconds. Lol

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but nobody remembers things from when they were a baby

there are women on here that say their kids remember their birth and being in the hospital the few days after. O.o

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
If you think it's those memories then you should get him in therapy immediately. I'm not trying to discredit his past but it could also be his age. My son has been asserting his 'independance' lately and my friends who have sons the same age have also noticed a bit of you-can't-make-me-do-it behavior lately.
Quoting selena2006:

6 months would be hard to remember. My son has been acting out a lot lately and I know in one of my post a lady and said he could be acting from the things he saw at that age and I'm not to sure if that's true because a lot of it was done way before he was born until he turned 3 but when he was old

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, my 6 nearly 7 year old remembers a lot from when he was 1-2 yrs old. I had cancer then and every so often he'll ask me about something that he remembered about my surgery or chemo.

I remember my first Christmas when I was 6 months old.

Luna091306
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I remember my sister being born when I was 2. I remember a few things before then like taking a bath in a blue tub in my grandmother's living room. I also remember this man and the last time I saw him was before my 2nd birthday. I remember quite a few things about him.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but nobody remembers things from when they were a baby

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)