Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how much do kids really remember?

Posted by   + Show Post
Can a 6 almost 7 year old remember stuff from when they were 1-3 most of it being really seen at 1-2 and start acting at the age they are now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Replies (21-28):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Just because you can't doesn't mean others haven't.
Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but nobody remembers things from when they were a baby

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM

i think it would depend on the circumstances.  if something truly traumatic were to happen, yes, i think it would be remembered.  when my oldest son (now 15) was 4, he asked me why the doctors "cut his penis off".  when i asked him what he was talking about, he described his circumcision to me (performed when he was 24 hours old).  he doesn't remember that now -- doesn't even remember the conversation, but at the time, he had me convinced he remembered something.  personally, my 1st clear memory was when i was 3ish.

selena2006
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM
The prob is he won't talk to me about his problems I ask him what makes him act so mean to the little girls and that its not nice to bully them it really hurts them. All he says is he don't know. Today he asked why didn't his dad like me until his sis was born
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I remember stuff from when I was around 1 maybe 1 1/2.
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I don't have any memories before 5 but hubby remembers his first bday. My 6 year old remembera his life in Colorado before we moved to Texas. He turned 4 right after we moved.
My 4 year old can remember our first trip home to visit when she was 2.5 and is now 4.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM
They remember the bad stuff. Spend thousand and take them on the vacation of their lives? They will only remember that it rained that one day and you couldn't ride the rides. It sucks. But, its life.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM

My earliest memory is when I was 22 months old.  I can set the date of it by where we were living at the time, we were just getting ready to move and we moved from the one house to an apartment when I was 22 months.  The memory was of the post man opening the screen door and handing some mail to me. He smiled and said, "Give this to your mommy." I remember the boxes in the living room and mom was in the kitchen. She could see me from there, the floor plan was open.  My mother once told me that there could be no way I could remember that house because I was too young when we lived there...so I sat down and drew the floor plan of it, including where all the furniture was...correctly. 

I'm 51 now and still remember that house, the floor plan, where the bird cage was, the heater on the wall where I once burned my bum...

I also very distinctly remember the apartment we moved to... We lived there from the time I was 22 months to the time I was almost three years old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I think they say kids remember things starting at about age 3/4. I don't think they would remember much before that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)