Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Debate between me and mil... Opinions on who's right??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 114 Replies
I tried to make it short...
Ds 10th bday is this month. He's been asking for a cell phone for about a year (all his friends in school have one) but I don't see any reason for a 10 yr old to need a cell phone. Unless he is at school, or a church activity, or some other function with several adults (with cells) that I personally know he is with me. Really the only thing he wants one for is to play games and listen to music. SOOO... I'm considering buying him a refurbished iPod touch. The one I'm looking at is a 3rd generation for $60. Mil asked what he wants for his bday so I tell her what I'm buying and mention perhaps she could do an iTunes gift card so he can buy music. She flips her shit. "That's what wrong with kids these days...they have everything handed to them...they're spoiled! He's too young to be responsible for something so expensive ...They don't know what it's like to play outside". WELL, mil... Ya see, If u were actually ever around and involved in their lives you would realize my kids spend about 2 hrs a day outside mon-fri and at least 4 hrs a day on the weekends... Unless its summer, then they practically live out there. They both have bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, etc that are worn out from using the crap outta them.
As for them being spoiled...perhaps. But in all fairness they get straight A's and I never have behavior problems from them (aside from a little sibling rivalry here and there). Also, they've had DS's since they were about 3 and have always taken care of them. They really are good, responsible kids. As for the expense...really? That's CHEAP compared to most other things they have and cheap compared to what the typical price of those things is.

Nonetheless, my question is... Is 10 years old too young for this type of gift? In your opinion, of course.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
You.
HollieMariex3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a used iPod touch would be a nice gift. I wouldn't get a 10 year old a cell phone, but if he is responsible and deserves the ipod, I see nothing wrong. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NikiH0302
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM

IMO no 10 is not too young.  But then again...my 9 y/o ds got a 3ds for xmas....I think it all depends on the child and how well behaved they are ad how well they take care of their things.  There are some 15 y/os that I wouldn't trust with a 3ds or an Ipod lol.

Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM
No, just make sure you monitor his use.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM
5 moms liked this

I think getting him the ipod instead of the phone is a great idea.

HyrulianHeroine
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Absolutely not!! Better than the damned cell phone. Plus, your mommy he's yours...your always right Lol
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

no, he's not too young.  my nephew got one when he was 7 or 8 and he loves it.  plus, i think it's smart to buy a refurbished one....that way, even if he does lose it/break it/whatever, you won't be out of a couple of hundred bucks.  just ignore her.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No, he's not too young for a $60 electronic gift.  I think she was way out of line to speak to you like that.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Hell no he is not too young. Your MIL is out of touch and way off base.
My 3yr old has a kindle fire. Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)