Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate between me and mil... Opinions on who's right??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I tried to make it short...
Ds 10th bday is this month. He's been asking for a cell phone for about a year (all his friends in school have one) but I don't see any reason for a 10 yr old to need a cell phone. Unless he is at school, or a church activity, or some other function with several adults (with cells) that I personally know he is with me. Really the only thing he wants one for is to play games and listen to music. SOOO... I'm considering buying him a refurbished iPod touch. The one I'm looking at is a 3rd generation for $60. Mil asked what he wants for his bday so I tell her what I'm buying and mention perhaps she could do an iTunes gift card so he can buy music. She flips her shit. "That's what wrong with kids these days...they have everything handed to them...they're spoiled! He's too young to be responsible for something so expensive ...They don't know what it's like to play outside". WELL, mil... Ya see, If u were actually ever around and involved in their lives you would realize my kids spend about 2 hrs a day outside mon-fri and at least 4 hrs a day on the weekends... Unless its summer, then they practically live out there. They both have bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, etc that are worn out from using the crap outta them.
As for them being spoiled...perhaps. But in all fairness they get straight A's and I never have behavior problems from them (aside from a little sibling rivalry here and there). Also, they've had DS's since they were about 3 and have always taken care of them. They really are good, responsible kids. As for the expense...really? That's CHEAP compared to most other things they have and cheap compared to what the typical price of those things is.

Nonetheless, my question is... Is 10 years old too young for this type of gift? In your opinion, of course.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Replies (111-114):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I don't think he's too young for at all. My mom actually bought my little brother who is 5 a laptop for this past Christmas. That in my opinion is too young but I don't think an iPod for your 10 year old is over the top.
Marimaru
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I think it's a great alternative to a cell phone.

My daughter has an ipad she's been playing with since she was 1.  My boss got all of her staff ipads, and I don't like it (we're an Android house, lol), so I loaded it up with toddler apps, and it's basically hers.  I would never have bought one for her though, LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

My dd just turned 11. She has an ipod touch, cell phone, laptop, notebook, nook and a tablet.  She is very spoiled but like you say she is very well behaved and makes straight A's. She takes very good care of her things, she has actually had a cellphone since 1st grade. I started with a cheap parent controlled phone and she took care of it and worked her way up from there.

On another note, your MIL is wrong and sounds like a cranky person.

HyrulianHeroine
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

yes that and many other things would be the function of apps lol but as a parent you also can monitor what he downloads on the computer and make it to where he can't do that OP much more than cell phone. It all comes down to how much you watch and monitor his actions 

just a heads up :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Cheaper and can do the same thing. My son downloaded an app and he can text and make calls

Quoting HyrulianHeroine:

Absolutely not!! Better than the damned cell phone. Plus, your mommy he's yours...your always right Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured