Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was never this racist as a kid...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
But now as I've gotten older I'm so incredibly, insanely, stupidly paranoid about saying racist things. I think racism is focused on way too much, but I also agree that it should be addressed. Ugh. It's confusing and frustrating. I'm white. We went to dinner tonight with my male friend and his (black) African girlfriend. I was talking about this really tough job I had and I said, "I was basically a slave." Well, she's black and African and I was slightly drunk so I had this miniature panic moment. It wouldn't have even crossed my freaking mind to think twice about the word "slave" 10 years ago! I'm embarrassed that I'm embarrassed about it, kwim? I started fumbling and stuttering and I felt my face get hot and I couldn't remember what I was talking about. What an IDIOT. My friend looked embarrassed and looked over at his gf who just kept staring at me. My dh was apparently oblivious... I finally just ended my story and thankfully my dh changed the subject. I'm back home now and so humiliated...
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

My dh also got home and was very embarrassed by some things he said, which I thought sounded PERFECTLY fine, (not because of the girl, but it was his first time meeting my friend) so it almost makes me wonder if it looked worse than it was....

idk.........

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM

BUMPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tinabee88
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:42 AM

I'm black and I've got nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Quoting Tinabee88:

I'm black and I've got nothing.

lol. There is not a single comment to be made on this post? I guess I'm just not controversial enough, sharing random life stories without any real grit to them.......... lol. Damn.

ermka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:53 AM
I completely understand. Everyones level of acceptable is different. What might offend someone, another person wouldn't even bat an eye at. I have always been hyper aware because I grew up in & still live in a predominately (sp) white community. I'm not at all racist, but sometimes I feel like I'm so afraid of being disrespectful that it comes across as racism. I actually had a black friend (and I don't mean that in a "some of my best friends are "insert minority here" kind of way) who used to give me shit about it all the time. He'd tell me I was akwardly pc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kbix82
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM
1 mom liked this
It wasnt said to mean anything mean or nasty.. every race of humans were slaves at 1 time. Eygptians enslaved jews so on so forth
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckythreemom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:58 AM
It does maoe sense Op. Are you going to call your friend to check in on how he thinks things went? Surely he has noticed this about you before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Quoting kbix82:

It wasnt said to mean anything mean or nasty.. every race of humans were slaves at 1 time. Eygptians enslaved jews so on so forth

Yes, that is so true.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Quoting luckythreemom:

It does maoe sense Op. Are you going to call your friend to check in on how he thinks things went? Surely he has noticed this about you before.

He used to joke about how he always wanted to "bang a black chick" and he knew very few black people before meeting his gf (they are serious and have been together a while now, even though that sounds bad lol)

So, we were always kind of on the same level with these things before...

I haven't called him. I just emailed him to say that it was great to meet her finally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)