Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Find Your Own Way There

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

My DD is literally days away from turning 18. she was invited to her best (male) friend's birthday dinner. Now I can't remember what she did but I told her that as a result I wasn't taking her to the dinner. The only exception to that was (she was being immature about something,and ended up having a tantrum like a 2yo) if I sat with them the whole dinner and acted as their chaperone. I also said to DD that she wasn't allowed to accept a ride off her friend's mother because I absolutely HATE this woman, she has treated my DD like shit. Absolute shit. The two friends got around this by DD catching a bus to the dinner and then telling me that another friend had driven her home. I didn't recognize the car so I walked outside and found that it was the friend's dad not mum, and as I was talking to dad, he asked whether everything was okay with DD needing a ride home. He thinks that I shouldn't have allowed her to go to the dinner because he thinks "find your own way there" means, drive yourself or take a taxi, not busses and rides home. So was I too "soft"? He also said that my DD shouldn't have been allowed to attend a dinner with 2 boys and was slightly annoyed that another girl cancelled because he said that he thinks his son felt like a third wheel. He thinks my DD should be punished. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think its his place to tell you who to punish
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't get it..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

WHAT???   What adult man needs to tell you to discipline or not discipline your almost 18 yr old daughter.

Your post doesn't make much sense, but you need to learn to deal with the real issue with your kid and not let it become a circular entrapment for you.

If she was immature and tossing a tantrum, I would have decided either to groud her or find some other appropriate discipline... this whole, "well find your own way there." thing isn't really much of a discipline.

I really can't see my almost 18 year old kids throwing 2 yr old fits... but then, I discipline the 5 yr old for trying to have fits... so I dunno.

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I would have told him that he needs to mind his own business and then told my DD not to ride with him anymore. His kid felt like the third wheel? He needs to deal with it. He sounds like he was throwing a fit.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Its your daughter you handle things as you see fit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I decided not to ground her because she WILL be 18 in a few days. In a few days she legally can walk out of my door and not return if she pleases. I figured making her 'slum' it on a bus in her dress clothes and with a present was punishment enough for my DD.

Quoting KrissyKC:

WHAT???   What adult man needs to tell you to discipline or not discipline your almost 18 yr old daughter.

Your post doesn't make much sense, but you need to learn to deal with the real issue with your kid and not let it become a circular entrapment for you.

If she was immature and tossing a tantrum, I would have decided either to groud her or find some other appropriate discipline... this whole, "well find your own way there." thing isn't really much of a discipline.

I really can't see my almost 18 year old kids throwing 2 yr old fits... but then, I discipline the 5 yr old for trying to have fits... so I dunno.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:48 AM

hahaha - I told him that it was guarrenteed that his kid would be a third wheel because of how close DD and her best friend are (aren't going to be suprirsed if they start dating soon). This kid  practically forced his way into an invitation because he doesn't want DD to date. her best friend. >.>

Quoting sheramom4:

I would have told him that he needs to mind his own business and then told my DD not to ride with him anymore. His kid felt like the third wheel? He needs to deal with it. He sounds like he was throwing a fit.

20Keller12
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I think that you're her parent, not him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Thanks :)

Quoting 20Keller12:

I think that you're her parent, not him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)