Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever witnessed a serious accident?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 325 Replies
Yesterday was the first time I saw an accident other than a minor fender bender.
Df and I were sitting on our porch smoking and we heard a loud noise. Df got up and looked out and said 'oh my god' I got up and looked and some lady hit a man on a moped. He was stuck under the car. I called 911 they had already gotten calls and told me they were on their way.
I felt so horrible, he was yelling ow and something about his hip.
The ambulance got there within a couple minutes and they got him out.

Maybe I'm being a big baby but it's just bothering me, hearing him yelling in pain and seeing him under the car, I just feel so bad for the poor guy.

Am I being a wimp or have some of you seen or been there for something similar that you just couldn't stop thinking about?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Yea while pregnant a 3 car accident and one driver died
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom and dad witnessed a guy on a motorcycle get decapitated when he got hit my a car and flew into the windshield of another car.
jbirdsladie27
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I was in one, but don't remember anything.

I remember one from when I was a little girl, guy was hit head on, flew off his motorcycle, we were sitting in traffic
dipsetgrl06
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I saw a lady fly halfway out the passenger side window and die right in front of me. She wasn't wearing her seatbelt so when she hit the car she flew. It was scary and still 3 years later I can't get the whole thing out of my head. I also saw a kid I was in school with get hit by a car and he literally flew in the air and just dropped to the ground, it was horrible. All he kept doing was asking for his mom. He was 16 and autistic such a sweet kid. Thankfully he only broke his arm.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I havent witnessed one but I hit a man on a motorcycle in August. He ran a stop light and wasnt wearing a helmet. He didnt die but he was badly hurt. His bike was totaled and so was my car. It scared the shit out of me, I still havent driven again to this day.

Mrspotatolips
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yes it is traumatizing to witness that kind of stuff.  For Thanksgiving last year I had rented a minivan and my parents, DS (6m), DH and I were driving from Florida to Maryland to be with family.  In North Carolina at 1am I am driving and getting sleepy (I was still not getting very good sleep because of DS) when I hear a screech.  Mind you I'm going about 75 miles an hour.  I see a car approaching from behind very fast, pass me on the left.  It lost control as it was passing me and nearly took out my front bumper on its way to the guardrail where it EXPLODED.  I remember thinking I was going to hit this fireball and we were all going to die.  Fortunately, I was able to stop in time.  I couldn't drive for the rest of the trip. 

BTW, there were two drunk assholes racing on the highway, one with a 2 year old in his carseat.  Guess which person died.  Yep, the 2 year old.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/editors-pick/1-confirmed-dead-in-early-morning-I-77-collision-179801701.html

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I was in one when I was pregnant with my oldest. We got a flat tire and pulled over to change it. My sons dad was getting ready to go in back to get the spare out of the trunk when we were hit from behind by a guy going 65. The impact threw my boyfriend over the door and the hood of the car onto the shoulder and pushed the car into traffic. They had to use the jaws of life to get me out. I injured my back and have had issues since. My boyfriend spent 3 days in the hospital with a concussion, a broken arm, 3 broken ribs and a puncture in his chest from where it hit the corner of the door as he was thrown over it. Thankfully my baby was ok. I was almost 7 months pregnant and had a stack of pillows in front of me which is what saved my baby and I had just taken my seatbelt off, the rescue squad said if I had not taken it off the impact could have decapitated me.
The other driver was drunk but he was the mayor or Illinois so they didn't arrest him and his wife broke her foot. He was coming home from a fundraiser.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

When I was 10, my mother sent me to the corner store and as I reached the corner , I heard sceaming and I saw all the people form the used car place across the street come running (one of them was wearing what I believe to be a chicken suit- it was the grand opening of the lot). As I got closer, I could see a little toddler- no more than 2 years old wearing a blue coat with the hood, lying in the middle of the busy street in a pool of blood with screaming, crying people crouched all around him. There were cars stopped and people everywhere. The ambulances and police came and then I couldn't see anything else. I ran home and told my mother what had happened. I was so scared and what I saw traumatized me for life- I have NEVER fogotten that and to this day if I close my eyes I can still his his little blue coat with the hood- the ones that tied and made your head look like a cone and his little hands. I always think 'if only mom would have sent me earlier or later in the day, I would have never had to see that'.

Some years later I asked my mother what had happened and she told me that the car the baby was in had rusted through and there was an open hole in the floor. The baby was not in a carseat and fell through the hole, was run over by the back wheel of that car and then run over by the car behind it as well. I have no idea if that baby lived-I was afraid to ask but from what I saw, I don't think he did.

kalejames2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I have never had to call a bad one in but saw plenty while I was on our volunteer fire department. I would still be doing it if I didn't have kid but I just don't have the time anymore to dedicate to it with kids unfortunately.
kapzilla
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I was a traffic accident investigator during my working days (before kids).  I've seen some pretty nasty accidents as a first responder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)