Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shut up is a bad word

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this
I was raised in a home where shut up was a curse word, and its a word I never use no matter the context.

My fiancé regularly tells his kids 'you can have a nice warm glass of shut the hell up' which he learned from a movie. He never says it to be mean but he does say it often to his kids.

I don't like that he says that to his kids but they are his and I'd never tell him he couldn't say that to them but I don't want him saying that to our kids or my son.

He doesn't understand why I don't like the word and his reasoning is he isn't saying it to be mean its just a phrase and I said its akin to looking at a small child and saying ohh what an adorable fucker or that's a cute little bastard. While you don't mean any ill will its still wrong to say.

Does anyone else think like me?

Let me clarify a couple things. First he doesn't say that to my son and second he and I spoke about it and while he doesn't understand why I don't like the word he said he wouldn't say that to our future children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TashaB82
by Tootie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

There are a few words I really dislike and tell my children not to say. That being some and the word hate. And stupid. 

Mrspotatolips
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I grew up like you. I was also told that telling someone you hated them was a very bad curse. I never even used real curse words until college.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Shut up is in no way the same as fucker or bastard. While it is not a particularly nice word it is not a curse. I don't allow my children to say it to eachother or another person but if they tell the dog to shut up it does not get my panties in a bunch.
Schleetle
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
If my DH kept saying something that bothered me I'd ask him not to say it. It doesn't matter if it's to his children, if it's happening in your home he should respect that it makes you uncomfortable. Besides that sounds like it could get annoying fast. I don't like repetitive stupid comments, and DH likes to quote annoying 80s movies so there are plenty of times I give him the stink eye. I don't allow my children to say shut up at home because I think it's rude. If I hear them say it I'll tell them to apologize, and I am sure my tweens give me the stink eye when I'm not looking too. lol
kattu
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I don't like stupid, hate, or shut up. If you say them you have to put a dollar in the jar.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I'm with you :)

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
The funny thing is I can say a curse word without blinking but not shut up. That to me is more taboo than fucking.

Quoting Mrspotatolips:

I grew up like you. I was also told that telling someone you hated them was a very bad curse. I never even used real curse words until college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i wouldn't tell the kids to "have a glass of shut up", but i don't see it as a bad word at all.  all of us say it all the time.  however, i get what you're saying because i was raised in a house where "fart"  was a bad word.  to this day, i cringe when i hear it, i never say it & the kids aren't allowed to say it either

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Shut up? Really? That's... intresting. I would never say it to my kid joking or not. But its not a bad word.
kattu
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm the same way! I think it is how it is being said. I think telling someone to shut up is much more rude than saying "that fucking hurt!".

Quoting Roxygurl:

The funny thing is I can say a curse word without blinking but not shut up. That to me is more taboo than fucking.

Quoting Mrspotatolips:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)